• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

As Terrell Davis Gets Inducted into the HOF...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Since we are talking about running backs. Imo, adrain peterson is easily top 3 all time. I wouldnt pick no running back ahead of him other than barry sanders
Disagree regarding Adrian Peterson, but it is your opinion.

I'd put Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders as top 3. Let's not forget backs like Emmitt Smith, Tony Dorset, Eric Dickerson, Gayle Sayers, i could go on and on and on. He isn't in my top 10 or even top 15

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Disagree regarding Adrian Peterson, but it is your opinion.

I'd put Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders as top 3. Let's not forget backs like Emmitt Smith, Tony Dorsett, Eric Dickerson, Gayle Sayers, i could go on and on and on. He isn't in my top 10 or even top 15
Lmao gayle sayers? Tomy dorsett? Not in your top 15? Wow.

No question he isn't in my top 10 and I said maybe not even in my top 15. We also have backs like Earl Campbell, John Riggins, Thurman Thomas, OJ Simpson, Tomlinson. Marshall Faulk, Marcus Allen. So he is most likely in my top 15, but not top 10.

Remember, the NFL didn't begin in 2006 when he was drafted.

Last edited by a moderator:

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Adrian Peterson is easily in my top 10. He's just an absolutely ridiculous runner.

Fun fact: In every season outside of 14 and 16 (where he played 4 games), he has scored double digit rushing touchdowns. He will break 100 touchdowns this season to go along with 10,000 rushing yards.

Sheer dominance.

Edit: With just two more normal AP years, he'll finish in the top 5 in yardage and touchdowns for a career. He will also leave with the most rushing yardage in a single game and top 5 in yardage for a season. He'll also finish top 5 in YPC if he keeps up his normal pace, showing that it wasn't just due to usage that he got his yardage. He was efficient in all of his carries.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
My top ten?
1. Barry Sanders- No explanation really needed.
2. Walter Payton- Sweetness was probably the smoothest runner of all time. Was like silk.
3. Jim Brown- Was still a great athlete even for the time period. Was integral in the NFL's success as a business. Many time champion..
4. Eric Dickerson-Was an Adrian Peterson type athlete before AD. Had to play in an era where defenses were specifically tailored to stop the run, and he still dominated despite being the entirety of the Rams offense.
5. Ladanian Tomlinson-Favorite running back I ever watched and one of the most well rounded of all time. One of the players I'm mad that never won a super bowl.
6. OJ Simpson- First dude to ever go over 2,000 yards. Not a fan of the person but can't deny that he was a great player.
7. Earl Campbell- One of the best brusers of all time
8. Gale Sayers- Best player with a short career ever
9. . Adrian Peterson- Easily the best RB since LT retired. There isn't a back in the NFL right now that was as good as AD.
10. Emmit Smith- So many people say that he's overrated that he's become somewhat underrated. Model of consistency

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Since we are talking about running backs. Imo, adrain peterson is easily top 3 all time. I wouldnt pick no running back ahead of him other than barry sanders
Peterson stands at a disadvantage on the list compared to say Eric Dickerson. Defenses back then were specifically tailored to stopping the run. They'd stack 8 or 9 in the box on most plays because passing was a lot harder back then. Corners were also differently built and defensive backs were encouraged to knock you on your ass and knock your teeth out. Peterson, although easily a future hall of famer and all time great played in an era where defenses are more tailored to stopping the pass. Not that the running game isn't important, but people play more defensive backs now, the rules are a lot different, not allowed to be as physical.

Top 15? Sure. Top 10? Possibly. Top 5? Hell no. Top 3? Fuck that shit.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
My top ten?
2. Walter Payton- Sweetness was probably the smoothest runner of all time. Was like silk.
3. Jim Brown- Was still a great athlete even for the time period. Was integral in the NFL's success as a business. Many time champion..
4. Eric Dickerson-Was an Adrian Peterson type athlete before AD. Had to play in an era where defenses were specifically tailored to stop the run, and he still dominated despite being the entirety of the Rams offense.
5. Ladanian Tomlinson-Favorite running back I ever watched and one of the most well rounded of all time. One of the players I'm mad that never won a super bowl.
6. OJ Simpson- First dude to ever go over 2,000 yards. Not a fan of the person but can't deny that he was a great player.
9. . Adrian Peterson- Easily the best RB since LT retired. There isn't a back in the NFL right now that was as good as AD.
10. Emmit Smith- So many people say that he's overrated that he's become somewhat underrated. Model of consistency
A players that went his entire career as under appreciated would be Curtis Martin. He quietly has the 4th most rushing yards at over 14k. He is totally under appreciated and deserve to be in this or the top 15 and maybe top 10. Another top 15 back than went under appreciated due to the qb he played for was Edgerrin James. Great back

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
A players that went his entire career as under appreciated would be Curtis Martin. He quietly has the 4th most rushing yards at over 14k. He is totally under appreciated and deserve to be in this or the top 15 and maybe top 10. Another top 15 back than went under appreciated due to the qb he played for was Edgerrin James. Great back
Tony Dorsett, Riggins, Thurman Thomas, all phenomenal backs as well. Davis belongs up there with those names even though his career was short.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Peterson stands at a disadvantage on the list compared to say Eric Dickerson. Defenses back then were specifically tailored to stopping the run. They'd stack 8 or 9 in the box on most plays because passing was a lot harder back then. Corners were also differently built and defensive backs were encouraged to knock you on your ass and knock your teeth out. Peterson, although easily a future hall of famer and all time great played in an era where defenses are more tailored to stopping the pass. Not that the running game isn't important, but people play more defensive backs now, the rules are a lot different, not allowed to be as physical.

Top 15? Sure. Top 10? Possibly. Top 5? Hell no. Top 3? Fuck that shit.
AP is as physical as they get lol. This man is not a normal human being. This man couldve played in any era bro and still wouldve done whatever. Ive seen AP run vs stacked boxes plenty of times so i dont really know what youre trying to get it. If he is not in your top whatever, thats fine but there is absolutley nothing you can say about his game especially playing vs corners that were built to stop the run cause not even the best cb of all time was built to stop the run

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
My top ten?
Very nice list but gale sayers and oj over AP? how can a player with short career be better than AP? i so forgot about LT he was great also.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
AP is as physical as they get lol. This man is not a normal human being. This man couldve played in any era bro and still wouldve done whatever. Ive seen AP run vs stacked boxes plenty of times so i dont really know what youre trying to get it. If he is not in your top whatever, thats fine but there is absolutley nothing you can say about his game especially playing vs corners that were built to stop the run cause not even the best cb of all time was built to stop the run
Really, are you going to tell me that Ronnie Lott wasn't built well enough to stop the run. He was a cornerback before he made the transition to safety.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Peterson in his absolute prime had one of the best combinations of vision and decisiveness that the league has ever seen. He's also by far one the most physically gifted athletes to have ever played the position. Easily in my Top 10.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I understand that he's physical but defensive backs back then such as Ronnie Lott were more tailor made to stop the run. Notice how a Bernard Pollard wasn't nearly that great in the modern day. If Pollard played in the 90's he'd be an all pro because running backs would have wanted even less to do with him than he already did. Safeties today have to be good against the run, but strong safeties back then were specifically designed to be in the box to help out.

Peterson is a top 10 RB of all time, which puts him with elite company. But top 3? Please. It's almost universally Payton, Brown, Sanders.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Very nice list but gale sayers and oj over AP? how can a player with short career be better than AP? i so forgot about LT he was great also.
OJ had arguably the greatest season a back ever had. He ran over 2k yards in only 14 games.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Can't cosign this. Fumbles are important.
He definitely had fumbling issues early on, but it's an area that was improved after his first three seasons. Most of his fumbles came in those three. Career wise, he fumbled in 31.7% of his games. For comparison, Barry Sanders fumbled once every 26.7%. Walter Payton fumbled once every 45.2%.