• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Preseason Game One Recap Thread

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
Mallet sucked
O-line was 100x better than expected
2000's defense is back in form
Tim Williams disappointed
Tim White looked good a WR, not as much as a returner
Keenan Reynolds had an excellent return he created himself
Woodrum played like our best backup QB
Hill is a player to watch fight for the slot CB spot

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
The defense looked pretty good.

Urban made some plays.

I definitely want to see more from Jaylen Hill.

Has Williams been bloated like that all camp?

Also Carl Davis and Willie Henry looked really good so hopefully we get a heavy rotation going

Our young receivers played as well as they have been in camp

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Not worried about Tim Williams yet. Give him a season at worst. If he doesn't get it now expect him to get going during the regular season.

The dline being good is awesome. Heavy rotation=less tired defense.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not worried about Tim Williams yet. Give him a season at worst. If he doesn't get it now expect him to get going during the regular season.

The dline being good is awesome. Heavy rotation=less tired defense.
he was in a lot on running downs and i think he just got a little lost and hesitant - there was one stunt where he looked fast but slow to get off which suggests to me he was a little in awe of the game but physically is fine

The Raven

Veteran
I'll focus on the oline since it's all I really know about...

Ryan Jensen was a bully out there. It was so nice to see a center move people for once. I've been calling for him to play more since his second year and tonight was sort of vindication. Want to see him against some talent though. Good game. Big runs came behind him.

Skura was better than anticipated, too. He reminds me of the typical New England olineman: average size, average strength, average athleticism, but top notch technique and gritty as hell. Almost reminds me of Yanda in a way, for the simple fact that he's not the prototype, yet he's still a tough dude. I like him as our swing inside guy.

James Hurst had a fucking day and you can piss right off if you disagree. I think we saw tonight a glimpse of what the coaches have been waiting for. He was mauling people in the run game and his pass protection looked better. I kind of wonder if he really was just out of place in the zone game and this is what he was meant for. I'm not calling him the starter yet -- I'd like to see him against someone better than the Skins -- but the guy had a game. CC: @Lost_In_Translation

Eluemunor did not look bad. He looked physical and mean. I don't think he fit in badly at LG. He's got a future in this league. At the risk of sounding like a certain someone, I'd like to see him cut a little bit of fat out of the midsection and get a little more fast twitch fiber. There were plays he was kind of slow off the snap. If he was a tad leaner, he'd be even meaner.

On the run scheme: Holy good god this is the kind of offense every olinemen dreams of playing in. Pulls, traps, power, counter, and even some zone mixed in? It's nice to see some more gap blocking. Running backs were hitting the holes hard. Everything was very downhill, and the oline was playing mean. I never want this team to run a base zone game ever again. Gap blocking is the absolute way to go.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I saw only the second half. Some initial impressions after watching mostly two's.
Wormley played sparingly. Thought he showed a decent swim to beat a guard ...not much after that.
Bowser ran an inside stunt and blew up skins QB...an interception followed..Nice coverage by UDFA corner.

The depth on D LINE, even late is impressive. Kaufusi living in backfield. Henry with impressive speed off the ball, Urban and Kaufusi very physical.

Qb out of Liberty, (for us), has some potential....Could stick on PS.
Seemed an emphasis on Williams setting edge in run game. Saw him drop twice. Drew a double team led to a Bradley sack but appeared to be thinking and not just playing.
WAY TOO MUCH PRESSURe up the gut in third quarter...Skura in at center did not look good. Probably not aided by guard plY but pass protection was horrendous for a stretch.

Oh...and Harbaugh loves Kennan Reynolds. Looks more comfortable fielding punts with one very good return....questionable decision on fair catch late where he had room to run

Last edited:

K-Dog

MVP
I wanna see more of Woodrum.
I want to see him with first and second stringers.
What I saw tonight impressed me.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I'll focus on the oline since it's all I really know about...

Ryan Jensen was a bully out there. It was so nice to see a center move people for once. I've been calling for him to play more since his second year and tonight was sort of vindication. Want to see him against some talent though. Good game. Big runs came behind him.

Skura was better than anticipated, too. He reminds me of the typical New England olineman: average size, average strength, average athleticism, but top notch technique and gritty as hell. Almost reminds me of Yanda in a way, for the simple fact that he's not the prototype, yet he's still a tough dude. I like him as our swing inside guy.

James Hurst had a fucking day and you can piss right off if you disagree. I think we saw tonight a glimpse of what the coaches have been waiting for. He was mauling people in the run game and his pass protection looked better. I kind of wonder if he really was just out of place in the zone game and this is what he was meant for. I'm not calling him the starter yet -- I'd like to see him against someone better than the Skins -- but the guy had a game. CC: @Lost_In_Translation

Eluemunor did not look bad. He looked physical and mean. I don't think he fit in badly at LG. He's got a future in this league. At the risk of sounding like a certain someone, I'd like to see him cut a little bit of fat out of the midsection and get a little more fast twitch fiber. There were plays he was kind of slow off the snap. If he was a tad leaner, he'd be even meaner.

On the run scheme: Holy good god this is the kind of offense every olinemen dreams of playing in. Pulls, traps, power, counter, and even some zone mixed in? It's nice to see some more gap blocking. Running backs were hitting the holes hard. Everything was very downhill, and the oline was playing mean. I never want this team to run a base zone game ever again. Gap blocking is the absolute way to go.
Only man I care to hear about is Jensen and that's good. Hope he can keep it up. 3/5 of the expected starting oline sat. Come game three I expect all of them to be healthy(knock on wood) and maybe this oline could actually be good.

What about Edge players not named Tim Williams

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
OL might be ok. Every starter looked very good. Ryan Jensen was a one man wrecking crew, skura looks like potential starter material, eluemenor didn't disappoint and did some things well that I didn't expect like land a clean block on a pull. James hurst was a stonewall, color me wrong about him. Stanley looks like he muscled up a lot and he was fucking stellar. I don't have a single complaint about that specific starting group, and Alex Lewis better be a world beater when he returns or his spot at LG might be in jeopardy to skura.

Urban, bowser, and pierce looked like world beaters, Jefferson created havoc when blitzing, peanut is true to form, attitude and toughness. Pees is the man for the job. I could barely tell Tim Williams and ZDS apart and I wanted to cry. Correa made plays and was in on a lot of plays early. Judon was solid and played with grit and power and looked the part of the starting strong side lb. Suggs is still playing at a high level. Jalen hill is making a strong case.

Camp was perpetually wide open and was constantly screwed by the qb, but he should've caught that first one. Adeboyejo disappointed, Tim White was a trash returner but solid wr, none of the tight ends stood out, cut mallett and either win kaepernick or promote woodrum, west is a serious breakout candidate and if our starting OL looks like it did tonight then I think he breaks 1k but doesn't break a sweat doing it. Buck Allen ran hard but didn't seem to get an opportunity to show an improvement in pass pro.

Sam Koch may be a better punter than tucker is a kicker, that's right I took it there, Koch is a goddamn legend. Tucker is a legend himself, that 59er looked like a chipshot, but Koch is a weapon.

All in all, this team could possibly win a lot of games playing field position. This defense looks the part, I think we're gonna have eh best d in the league and with ST weapons like Koch to force teams backs against the wall, and the defense to get the ball back near midfield, and tucker to widen the gap on the scoreboard little by little, we could win 10+ games with a methodical game plan.

If our defense is really this good, and our OL was serviceable as it was tonight, this will be a fun season

The Raven

Veteran
Only man I care to hear about is Jensen and that's good. Hope he can keep it up. 3/5 of the expected starting oline sat. Come game three I expect all of them to be healthy(knock on wood) and maybe this oline could actually be good.

What about Edge players not named Tim Williams
Matt Judon got the start and he looks like the real freakin deal. I see a 60 tackle, double digit sack year in his near future, this year or next. He's way faster than last year with no less power.

I was skeptical of the Bowser pick. I didn't zero in on him every play, but so far he's proving me wrong. Fast, fast, fast.

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
Matt Judon got the start and he looks like the real freakin deal. I see a 60 tackle, double digit sack year in his near future, this year or next. He's way faster than last year with no less power.

I was skeptical of the Bowser pick. I didn't zero in on him every play, but so far he's proving me wrong. Fast, fast, fast.
Every throw his way got next to no YAC

The Raven

Veteran
OL might be ok. Every starter looked very good. Ryan Jensen was a one man wrecking crew, skura looks like potential starter material, eluemenor didn't disappoint and did some things well that I didn't expect like land a clean block on a pull. James hurst was a stonewall, color me wrong about him. Stanley looks like he muscled up a lot and he was fucking stellar. I don't have a single complaint about that specific starting group, and Alex Lewis better be a world beater when he returns or his spot at LG might be in jeopardy to skura.

Yes. I agree. Skura is good. I would not be surprised if he forced his way into the lineup at LG this year.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
How did Correa look?
Not bad, came screaming off the edge for a short gain on an inside run play, was third and short and somehow converted even though it looked more like a no gain to me. He was involved a lot, looked WAY more comfortable, he was playing loose and fast and physical.

I think he's the real deal, he didn't play very long so I think coaches had seen enough, I think they firmly believe he's the right guy

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Every throw his way got next to no YAC
Bowser was a monster.

He had a beautiful edge rush on that second series, he came flying off the edge and put a spin on the LT and got right into the pocket, quick release though. He was in everyone back pocket everytime he dropped.