• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Preseason Game One Recap Thread

The Raven

Veteran
As for dline...

When he was drafted, I said Brent Urban had JJ Watt level potential. (Yes, potential). We got a glimpse at that tonight. He kinda looks like an oversized OLB shooting gaps on the DL. He's not "stout" in the traditional, Brandon Williams style, but damn is he strong and explosive. He lived in the backfield.

Carl Davis also looked good to me when he was out there. Didn't look like he was playing lazy tonight.

Willie Henry still has a fantastic first step, and he still doesn't know what to do after he takes it. Kaufusi looks similar. Athletic and relentless but, like Henry, needs work with hands.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not bad, came screaming off the edge for a short gain on an inside run play, was third and short and somehow converted even though it looked more like a no gain to me. He was involved a lot, looked WAY more comfortable, he was playing loose and fast and physical.

I think he's the real deal, he didn't play very long so I think coaches had seen enough, I think they firmly believe he's the right guy
Did Mosley play? Who were starting corners?

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Did Mosley play? Who were starting corners?
I saw Mosley in one of the highlights, but he probably didn't play long. I think the starting corners may have been Jimmy and Carr, but not 100% sure on that.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I really don't have any complaints, I thought everything went about as well as we could have expected. A couple things that surprised me:

Offense: Mallett struggled but didn't turn the ball over (even though he almost did at least once that I saw) Taliaferro did not look great at fullback, his lead-blocking left a lot to be desired and it seems the team dealt with that issue quickly by putting Maxx and Ortiz in the backfield when they needed a blocker. Have to think that Ortiz will be the FB if the team decides to keep one this year. None of the receivers really stuck out to me- felt like Camp has been doing a good job getting open, White had a big play- but that was about it, Moore and Adeboyejo also seemed pretty decent. The run game looks a lot better than last year, I was really impressed with West and Allen. Could definitely see them splitting carries more often in the regular season at this point. The line had some struggles, but Skura and Eluemunor definitely look like they could have potential and Jensen and Hurst have improved by leaps and bounds over last year.

Defense: The defense looked crazy. the DL might be the best it's ever been- Urban, Kaufusi, Davis and Henry all flashed at times. Tim Williams seemed sluggish today and was clearly outperformed by Bowser (which was surprising to me). Definitely think that Correa has adjusted to the WLB spot, but Onwuasor may have put a little heat on him tonight. Jaylen Hill was all over the place and looked good and probably makes the team over Boykin/Price/Co.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pierce
Urban
Williams
Davis
Kaufusi
Ricard
Suggs
Judon
Bowser
Williams
Mosley
Correa
Weddle
Jefferson......these guys are all in and hungry. No wonder Pees is giddy.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Matt Judon got the start and he looks like the real freakin deal. I see a 60 tackle, double digit sack year in his near future, this year or next. He's way faster than last year with no less power.

I was skeptical of the Bowser pick. I didn't zero in on him every play, but so far he's proving me wrong. Fast, fast, fast.
I love both of these guys. Agree Judon if he doesn't have 10 sacks this year he will next year. I loved the Bowser pick from thr start. Especially since we didn't draft Hassan Reddick. Bowser will make mistakes this year, but boy oh boy is he going to be a good player for us for a long time. I'm sure rmw10 agrees!

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
I love both of these guys. Agree Judon if he doesn't have 10 sacks this year he will next year. I loved the Bowser pick from thr start. Especially since we didn't draft Hassan Reddick. Bowser will make mistakes this year, but boy oh boy is he going to be a good player for us for a long time. I'm sure rmw10 agrees!
Outside Linebacker is looking pretty good for when Suggs retires.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Dline being good = fresh rotation = less tired defense which also = CJ Mosley and Correa and Bowser getting into the backfield a ton which then = TFLs = more three and outs and potential turnovers......

Jesus this defense has a high ceiling and could be dominant for the next several years. If the oline is solid, and by all accounts by how Jensen played so far I'm thinking it could be GOOD, then I think we're a playoff team who could be dangerous come January if a lot of things go our way.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
Dline being good = fresh rotation = less tired defense which also = CJ Mosley and Correa and Bowser getting into the backfield a ton which then = TFLs = more three and outs and potential turnovers......

Jesus this defense has a high ceiling and could be dominant for the next several years. If the oline is solid, and by all accounts by how Jensen played so far I'm thinking it could be GOOD, then I think we're a playoff team who could be dangerous come January if a lot of things go our way.

I've been thinking this for a while and from everything I've read, albeit a preseason game, our offense is going to shock people IF Joe is healthy and our defense is going to be scary. I think Perriman is going to wreak havoc and we're going to be in nearly every game just on our defense alone.

I think we're in a really good spot going into the season if we can stay relatively injury free for the next month. I think we are the true class of the AFC North. I look at the Steelers and question their O-Line, some aspects of their defense, and (I'm sure someone will provide an example) but when was the last time a RB held out and showed up to camp and killed it. Granted Bell is a unique and special player, but I think history has shown that RB/WR that holdout tend to either underperform from the year before or get injured.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Damn, I'm still shell shocked by what he did to the Redskins offense. And you have to remember they have one of the better OL in the league, like top5 iirc. But the DL made them look like the Panthers OL.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
Anyone remember the play that got blown dead for illegal formation by the Redskins, but the RB went ahead and carried the ball and hit the hole, and then Willie Henry gripped him with one arm around the neck and put him down???

Then the RB got up to get in his face, and Henry just flexed on him...

Best play of the game.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
We speculated how this defense might look. Now that we've gotten a taste, I have to say that Humphrey will feel it familiar and I expect he will play well.

Our front is so deep and talented. It really should accentuate what it is that he already does well.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Redskins fan base along with the staff and organization must surely be alarmed. By comparison they were slow and less physical throughout.

Boldnpurpblack

Practice Squad
Stinks that Brent Urban was hurt so much. Cuz he could earn himself a lot of money this season and play his way right outta Baltimore.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Redskins main offenseive linemen didnt play
Trent Williams, Spencer Long and Brandon Scherff played. I don't know if Morgan Moses played, but these are their MAIN offensive lineman, so you are wrong.

Correction: all the redskins starters played the game.

Last edited:

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Trent Williams, Spencer Long and Brandon Scherff played. I don't know if Morgan Moses played, but these are their MAIN offensive lineman, so you are wrong.

All of their starters played (Williams, Lauvao, Long, Scherff, Moses). They definitely didn't play well though.

Ravens55NYC

Practice Squad
Our D looked like the best i have seen in a while. If we could put up at least 21 points a game we can go 16-0 with this D ^_^.