• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 NFL Draft Gameday Thread

What position will the Ravens select with their first pick in the draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've seen scouts say Epenesa is inconsistent, I only watched two games and thats not what I saw. Maybe he has bad games/tape that our scouts saw? He was even projected to go top 15.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
from how quick we traded my guess is mims was never the option no matter my personal feelings about it (that trade was in place no matter who was there)

epenesa is the one im curious about
Funny because I am thinking we may have traded the pick because Mims was taken in front of us. Almost like a “aw man, shit, we may as well trade back now”

Francois Boulianne

Practice Squad
the only pick i wonder about at this point is whether AJ Epenesa was a possibility at all if he made it to 55 or was Dobbins clearly the number 1 guy at that point
Unless EDC talks bullshit, I guess they would have taken Dobbins even if Epenesa would have been there. For what it's worth, the old Casserly just declared on NFL Access this pich to be the best of the second round and made reference to the RRice pick.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Unless EDC talks bullshit, I guess they would have taken Dobbins even if Epenesa would have been there. For what it's worth, the old Casserly just declared on NFL Access this pich to be the best of the second round and made reference to the RRice pick.

that's what i was thinking too - the way EDC et al were talking about that pick and the value of it my guess is Dobbins would still have been the pick

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
143, 170 and 225

i think depending on who's available we're going to be doing a lot of trading down to acquire more picks
I agree and EDC said they have tried in the past and may try again to trade and acquire picks for next year. He also said he likes the draft next season as well.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Here's Dane Brugler's scouting report on Tyre Philips... just going through the scouting reports of all our picks and will post those as I finish reading them...

TYRE PHILLIPS | Mississippi State 6050 | 331 lbs. | rSR. Grenada, Miss. (Grenada) 1/29/1997 (age 23.23) #78

BACKGROUND: Tyre (tie-REE) Phillips grew up in Grenada in the northwest corner of Mississippi and played football during middle school, but he gave up the sport to focus on basketball at Grenada High School. However, he returned to the gridiron during his junior year (teammates with Genard Avery at Grenada) and spent the 2013 season getting back in football shape. Phillips started on the offensive line as a senior in Grenada’s run-heavy scheme.

A no-star recruit out of high school, Phillips received moderate attention from FCS-level programs, but with only one season of high school experience, he wasn’t recruited by major programs. He enrolled at East Mississippi Community College where he played guard for two seasons. A three-star juco recruit, Phillips received more interest the second time around, but he essentially shut down his recruitment once Mississippi State offered, committing before his second year at EMCC. He graduated with his degree in human development and family sciences (December 2019). Phillips accepted his invitation to the 2020 NFLPA Collegiate Bowl before a late offer arrived from the 2020 Senior Bowl.

YEAR (GP/GS) POSITION NOTES

2015: East Mississippi Community College 2016: East Mississippi Community College

2017: Redshirted 2018: (13/0)
2019: (13/13) LT Total: (26/13)

Mississippi State
Mississippi State; Sixth lineman and logged snaps at both tackle spots Mississippi State

HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP COMBINE 6050 331 35 1/8 10 3/8 84 5/8 5.37 3.09 1.84 25 ’” 5.11 8.17 22 PRO DAY N/A (Pro Day canceled)

STRENGTHS: Massive, wide-bodied blocker with thick legs and hips...unloads on down blocks, clearing run lanes...latches and drives his feet to steer defenders away from the ball...doesn’t allow himself to be bullied at the point-of-attack, absorbing and passing off rushers...comfortable on his feet and plays with balance in his movements...better-than-expected straight-line quickness...powerful hands to slow and sustain rushers in pass protection...coachable and if he doesn’t make it, it won’t be because he didn’t work hard enough...has experience at guard and both tackle spots.

WEAKNESSES: Carries some sloppy weight in his midsection and body conditioning requires monitoring...often finds his upper half overextended while searching for contact...doesn’t always bring his heavy feet with him...lateral range is not a strength to his game...a misstep in space is a death sentence vs. speed rushers...needs to play with better bend to sink his pads and improve his leverage...inconsistent timing off the snap penalized six times in , including three false starts...hand placement and recoil quickness need to be better...tends to wear down later in games...only one season as a starter at the FBS-level and needs development time.

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Mississippi State, Phillips lined up at left tackle in former head coach Joe Moorehead’s up-tempo scheme. After only one season of high school experience and two years at the juco level, he earned his “Big Country” nickname weighed almost pounds when he arrived in Starkville and is still young in football years, serving as the Bulldogs’ sixth lineman in before becoming the starter in . Phillips owns impressive body mass and heavy hands to generate a surge in the run game. While a more balanced mover than most his size, he doesn’t have ideal lateral agility and is too much of a waist-bender, leading to mistakes. Overall, Phillips is a heavy athlete and might struggle to handle all of his pass protection responsibilities outside at tackle, but he annoys defenders with his length and hand strength, projecting as a backup tackle or guard who should eventually push for starting reps.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
J.K. Dobbins was Dane Brugler's highest ranked RB... small wonder EDC thought he would be gone in the 1st round. Here's his scouting report:
1. J.K. DOBBINS | Ohio State 5094 | 209 lbs. | JR.

La Grange, Texas (La Grange)

12/17/1998 (age 21.35)

BACKGROUND: J’Kaylin “J.K.” Dobbins was somewhat of a football prodigy in La Grange, a small town (population under 5,000) midway between Austin and Houston. With a senior entrenched at running back, he started at cornerback and slot receiver as a true freshman. Dobbins took over the running back duties as a sophomore and found immediate success, posting 2,243 rushing yards and 37 touchdowns. His best season was in 2015, when he rushed for 2,740 yards and 35 touchdowns over 11 games as a junior, earning multiple All-State honors. Dobbins entered his senior season 2,010 yards shy of the Austin-Area record for career rushing yards, but he broke his right fibula on the first play in the 2016 season opener, prematurely ending his prep career.

A four-star running back recruit, Dobbins started receiving Power 5 offers as a sophomore and ranked as the No. 6 recruit in the state of Texas, collecting offers from all the major programs (Alabama, Texas and Oklahoma were thought to be favorites at one point). He also had the grades that attracted offers from programs like Stanford and Duke as well. But the development of Ezekiel Elliott attracted Dobbins to Ohio State and he committed to the Buckeyes prior to his senior year despite never visiting Columbus. His father, Lawrence, was a football and track star at La Grange, winning the 1998 Texas Class 3A 100-meter championship and signing to play football at Blinn Junior College. Dobbins had a close relationship with his father, who battled heart issues and died while in prison in 2014 at the age of 33 due to a stroke. Dobbins was an early enrollee at Ohio State and became just the sixth true freshman in school history to start a season opener, joining Maurice Clarett as the only other running back. He skipped his senior season and entered the 2020 NFL Draft.

YEAR (GP/GS)

2017: (14/14) 2018: (14/12) 2019: (14/14) Total: (42/40)

CAR YDS

194 1,403 230 1,053 301 2,003 725 4,459

AVG TD

7.2 7 4.6 10 6.7 21 6.2 38

REC YDS

22 135 26 263 23 247 71 645

AVG TD

6.1 1 10.1 2 10.7 2 9.1 5

NOTES

Second team All-Big Ten; OSU freshman rushing record; 2017 Big Ten Championship MVP Second team All-Big Ten; first in OSU history with 1,000+ yards as freshman and sophomore First team All-Big Ten; Sixth in Heisman voting; OSU single-season record for rushing yards

HT WT ARM HAND COMBINE 5094 209 29 3/4 09 1/2

PRO DAY N/A (Pro Day canceled)

WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP

73 1/2 - - - - - - - 23 (no workout choice)

[16]

STRENGTHS: Above-average vision to survey, anticipate holes and set up his moves...patiently reads and trusts the play design, always knowing where the next block is coming from...developed body type with thick legs, hips and torso...built low to the ground and keeps his legs churning, making him tough to ground...open-field power to run through contact, unleashing a forceful stiff arm...displays a natural feel for proximity and run angles at the second level, shaking would-be tacklers or weaving around defenders...runs with loose hips to efficiently cut off his plant foot...maintains his acceleration downfield to out-pace pursuit...eager lead blocker on quarterback-designed runs...steps up in the hole in pass protection, delivering an upward punch or shoulder to remove rushers from their feet...improved ball skills and can be more than a screen receiver...durable and built to handle positional punishment...team captain...zero concerns with his football or personal character NFL scout: “Ohio State doesn’t like him they love him. And I mean everyone. Coaches, teammates, the janitor. Great kid.”...tireless worker...no stranger to adversity and matured at a young age after his father died...highly productive career, becoming the only player in school history to reach , rushing yards in a season...finished his career ranked second on the school’s all-time rushing list (4,459), behind only Archie Griffin.

WEAKNESSES: Runs with savvy quickness, but not start/stop explosion...lacks the dynamic burst to be a consistent creator when he can’t set up his moves or the hole isn’t there...needs a half-second to regain his speed after his initial momentum is slowed...shorter arms and doesn’t have a sizeable catch radius...effective in pass pro when able to set and extend into his target, but needs technique work to better anchor and absorb rushers...needs to eliminate the easy drops, leaving production on the field...five career fumbles, including three in ...injuries were not an issue at Ohio State, but wasn’t himself in the Fiesta Bowl vs. Clemson due to a sprained left ankle; missed his senior year in high school after breaking his right fibula (August 2016).

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Ohio State, Dobbins lined up primarily in one-back sets in Ryan Day’s spread option offense, displaying a natural feel for power, zone and gap schemes. He was productive despite playing with a different starting quarterback each season, joining Archie Griffin as the only Ohio State players to rush for 1,000-plus yards in three different seasons (only OSU player to do it in his first three seasons). Dobbins is very skilled at finding and clearing holes and he makes it a chore on defenders to finish him, chopping his feet in space, stepping out of tackle attempts and maintaining his balance at contact. He benefited from a talented offensive system and when the hole was there, he took advantage, but he isn’t a consistent creator when the play design isn’t properly executed. Overall, Dobbins is built for the pro game and runs with outstanding vision, decision-making and open-field elusiveness, displaying the innate qualities to be a reliable three-down starting running back in the NFL.

GRADE: 1st-2nd Round

rossihunter2

Staff Member
There are some really nice prospects left on the board:

OL:
Prince Tega Wanogho
Saahdiq Charles
Tyler Biadasz
Shane Lemieux
Ben Bredeson
Kevin Dotson
Ben Bartch
Michael Onwenu
Hakeem Adeniji
Zach Sammartino

CB/DB:
Amik Robertson
Bryce Hall
Josiah Scott
Troy Pride
Darnay Holmes
Essang Bassey
Kindle Vildor
K'Von Wallace
Reggie Robinson

LB (another LB lol):
Akeem Davis-Gaither
Troy Dye

EDGE:
Bradlee Anae
Khalid Kareem
Alton Robinson
Derrek Tuszka
Jonathan Garvin
Kenny Willekes

WR:

Donovan Peoples-Jones
Tyler Johnson
Isaiah Hodgins
Antonio Gandy-Golden
Gabriel Davis
KJ Hill

DL:
Leki Fotu
Jason Strowbridge

lots of good options - small school guys will win the day

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I've seen scouts say Epenesa is inconsistent, I only watched two games and thats not what I saw. Maybe he has bad games/tape that our scouts saw? He was even projected to go top 15.
Let me just say he was NEVER a top 15 player. He definitely is inconsistent, his tape is not that good for such an unathletic guy and he will not contribute year one.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
@rossihunter2 Biadasz, Willekes, and Hodgins are guys I'd like to go after

Really surprised Troy Dye is on the board. Wonder if it's his slight frame. Hes not as violent as I'd like but I didnt expect this fall

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rossihunter2 Biadasz, Willekes, and Hodgins are guys I'd like to go after

Really surprised Troy Dye is on the board. Wonder if it's his slight frame. Hes not as violent as I'd like but I didnt expect this fall

yeah im not sure - i think teams might be panicking a little about any player who's got any sort of potential physical problem at all be that injury history or body type idk - pure speculation

otherwise i dont really get it

my guess is everyone getting scared by how stiff he is as a rusher - that lack of flexibility mixed with lack of twitchy explosion makes him tough to project as successful

Zadarius Smith has a similar physical profile and he dominates with his hands and power not with flexibility or burst, everyone is just so in love with speed they forget about block destruction

A1A

Veteran
So far this was a great draft no complaints at all.
Tyler Biadasz would be a cherry on top. I actually thought we were going Troy Dye in the 3rd amazing hes still on the board. Never would I have imagined being able to have Queen AND Dye...could still happen. Awesome draft. "That's my GM"