• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: WRs Devin Duvernay (92) and James Proche (201)

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Duvernays got the traits you can’t coach and he seems to be weak in areas that can be coached. You can’t develop speed, sure hands, and hard nosed mentality.

I think duvernay seriously needs flexibility training, that always was and still remains my biggest concern, he’s got quickness but when and how he can use it is seriously limited by stiff hips and ankles, if he can become more flexible and fluid with his change of direction we will have a weapon on our hands

Agree with Duvernay's flexibility / agility is his weakness right now. But honestly if he had that trait as well as all his other traits, he wouldn't have been available in the mid 3rd.

If he cant fix that, his floor is a slot WR. But potentially, could be a Steve Smith if he figures it out. I just love that dawg mentality. He has more tools to work with than Proche, who's ceiling is probably just a slot / returner.

Funny, now thinking about how we draft a lot of SLOT / TE (over the middle) pass catchers to play into Lamar's strengths. I can already see myself falling in love with a 6'3 or so WR prospect in next year's draft. Let me start looking lol

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Duvernays got the traits you can’t coach and he seems to be weak in areas that can be coached. You can’t develop speed, sure hands, and hard nosed mentality.

I think duvernay seriously needs flexibility training, that always was and still remains my biggest concern, he’s got quickness but when and how he can use it is seriously limited by stiff hips and ankles, if he can become more flexible and fluid with his change of direction we will have a weapon on our hands
Honestly, i didnt even think of it that way lol. Youre right though but he was to be willing to want it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Sorta like andrews and hurst, i didnt see it in hurst but i saw in andrews. I dont really see the hype around devin man. Yes he is fast but thats literally all i see. With the ball in his hands, i only see power. I dnt really see much elusiveness from him. I watched the 1vs1 tapes a few months ago and man he looked so terrible. Def gonna have to keep him in motion if teams arent giving him a free release. Imo, proche looks like the better wr. Idk how we will use him and we most likely will use devin more becuase of his speed but i like proche much more as a wr. Proche didnt look too much better on the 1vs1 drills but you can kind of see the potential in him. Either way, im liking proche better than devin untill i watch more tape

the 1v1s were not his shining moment ill give you that - he's not a great route runner vs man (which is what those 1v1s demonstrate) - he has tools and the sense and feel to make plays vs zones and the speed to punish teams with the ball in his hands but he's not right now a coverage beater vs man

but the route running we'll see if it comes but he's a physical runner and he's got track speed on top of that - we can use him in motion, we can get him the ball in space we can design passing concepts that get him the ball downfield and let him use those athletic traits to make plays for us

this year i foresee some gadget type looks as devin develops but i still think he's going to be a designed part of this offence to make use of this speed

proche has the attitude, the hands and the physicality (despite his size) - he doesn't have the short-area quickness necessarily or the route running yet but he does have the intangibles you love in the slot - he's got traits we like and on film he's electric making highlight reel catches all the time but he's not an explosive athlete which makes his route running so much more important - if he's going to make it as a WR then he's going to have to succeed in those elements

but he has amazing hands

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Funny, now thinking about how we draft a lot of SLOT / TE (over the middle) pass catchers to play into Lamar's strengths. I can already see myself falling in love with a 6'3 or so WR prospect in next year's draft. Let me start looking lol

i dont even think it's that - i think EDC and the FO are looking for certain qualities in WRs having learnt from past mistakes and analysing what's hardest to defend - the 2 answers being poor hands and speed

football on both sides of the ball right now is about positional flexibility and being movable to create matchup advantages - the ravens arent worried right now about having 3 guys who supposedly are all going to play the slot - they're looking at those 3 guys and thinking they have traits that we like and characteristics that we think can help the offence win and therefore there's a role for them - doesn't matter if there's 3 guys there - if we have to treat the slot like we treat the DL with all the rotation then so be it (it worked there)