• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: OL Tyre Phillips (106) and Ben Bredeson (143)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
A massive human with massive length and wingspan. Played tackle in college but projects inside in the pros. At the very least he adds some tackle depth behind Ronnie and Orlando but has the upside to fight for a spot on the interior. Played at LT this year but his best fit might be at RG.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Might not be a starter right away due to position change, but I think it could be a matter of time before he takes the RG starting job. I can just imagine him next to Brown Jr. Two massive o-linemem wrecking defenses.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
From one Harbaugh brother to another. Ben Bredeson is a steady if unspectacular OL prospect - I had him rated in the 3rd round (as did other prognosticators) so the value in the 5th feels great. Nice footwork, solid pass protector, strong punch but some physical limitations hold his ceiling down a little (short arms and limited athleticism).

But definitely a distinct possibility to win a starting job on the interior as a rookie.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
From one Harbaugh brother to another. Ben Bredeson is a steady if unspectacular OL prospect - I had him rated in the 3rd round (as did other prognosticators) so the value in the 5th feels great. Nice footwork, solid pass protector, strong punch but some physical limitations hold his ceiling down a little (short arms and limited athleticism).

But definitely a distinct possibility to win a starting job on the interior as a rookie.
he's played left guard thoughout his college career, since his freshmen year. I don't think anyone is beating Bozeman out of his starting job, especially with his improvement throughout the year. Unless you think he could compete with Powers and Phillips for the right guard spot. That being said, I think Powers is going to be fine. Although he had limited reps, that one game he came in he did pretty well and against the Steelers DL I might add.

Worst case is that we have improved our depth along the oline.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
he's played left guard thoughout his college career, since his freshmen year. I don't think anyone is beating Bozeman out of his starting job, especially with his improvement throughout the year. Unless you think he could compete with Powers and Phillips for the right guard spot. That being said, I think Powers is going to be fine. Although he had limited reps, that one game he came in he did pretty well and against the Steelers DL I might add.

Worst case is that we have improved our depth along the oline.

alternatively with Skura's injury, Bozeman slides inside to start at C which opens up an open competition at both G spots

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Watched phillips vs k state and some of his A&M tape and one big knock that I’ve noticed is that he appears to give up early. I often see him in positions to dominate and finish, and the play gets off rhythm and gets extended, it seems like as soon as the play goes off script he starts chilling and his man ends up making a play. Like he just gives up.

really not liking what I’ve seen so far. But that’s pass pro, it almost seems like he hates pass protecting but likes run blocking.

LOL someone decided to make Tyre Phillips a Giant and not a human on his wikipedia

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 9.06.09 PM.png

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Tyre Phillips has amazing length to play inside - if he can get down the playbook and joe D can get his hands on him I think we've potentially got something inside

was really good on his interview with media post-draft too

Bredeson is more technically sound but the upside of Phillips is pretty high but he's far more raw - i dont see bredeson's short arms show up tape very much but having seen the measurables i have to wonder if they dont translate to the NFL well but we'll see

im far more excited about tyre phillips than i was when we picked him that's for sure

Reactions: cdp

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Tyre Phillips has amazing length to play inside - if he can get down the playbook and joe D can get his hands on him I think we've potentially got something inside

Bredeson is more technically sound but the upside of Phillips is pretty high but he's far more raw - i dont see bredeson's short arms show up tape very much but having seen the measurables i have to wonder if they dont translate to the NFL well but we'll see

im far more excited about tyre phillips than i was when we picked him that's for sure
Hmm, I don't know if my question truly matters in the end, but do you see him as LG or RG?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Hmm, I don't know if my question truly matters in the end, but do you see him as LG or RG?

with the way we've typically used both Gs he's more of a fit at RG but i wonder if the way we've used our guards is more of a product of building our running game around yanda rather than what we would do with other players in the same scheme

but with how we've used them before with the LG being the primary puller of the OL starters, that's not something I think he would be most effective at but I havent gone deep diving into the film yet so cant say for sure

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

He had my favorite presser of all the rookies, comes off as real smart and very confident but laid back and just chill, but still seems like he’s got some intensity in there.

speaking of pressers, I didn’t like Harrison’s at all. He came off as fairly dumb, reminded me quite a bit of perrimans pressers when he was drafted.

I think the Ravens sign a cut vet or trade for a guard. They can’t go into the season with two rookies and an unproven Ben Powers. Bozeman isn’t someone I’d feel comfortable at left guard either going forward.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I hope Bredeson turns out better than the last Michigan Red Star player, Chris Wormley.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
He had my favorite presser of all the rookies, comes off as real smart and very confident but laid back and just chill, but still seems like he’s got some intensity in there.

speaking of pressers, I didn’t like Harrison’s at all. He came off as fairly dumb, reminded me quite a bit of perrimans pressers when he was drafted.
Harrison's presser was you know...

I only watched a couple of senior bowl practice reps but Phillips did actually pretty well. Simpson on the other end got destroyed. Phillip's got more power than Bozeman and Skura which was always a concern for me, so now I'm more optimistic than when we drafted him

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Harrison's presser was you know...

I only watched a couple of senior bowl practice reps but Phillips did actually pretty well. Simpson on the other end got destroyed. Phillip's got more power than Bozeman and Skura which was always a concern for me, so now I'm more optimistic than when we drafted him

he's a less explosive KO. Similar Size and Length. I must say though he doesn;t look like he's put much effort in the weight room