• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: OL Tyre Phillips (106) and Ben Bredeson (143)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He was the only guy that handled kinlaw in his half a dozen reps against him.
Ok but that’s a matchup thing there is no semblance of scheme work in there. I’m saying how would he fare as a left guard in Greg romans offense. How does he do on pulls and reaches, I imagine he wouldn’t do very well.

what side he lined up on in the senior bowl means little because that’s just a side, in our scheme one side of the line is typically more mobile than the other.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
DIdn't he do rather well at LG during the senior bowl?
obviously not in our scheme.

We have a lot of pulling in our scheme as a left guard. Bozeman has been much better than expected as a puller and the combo blocks than expected in year one as a starter. I fully expect him to start this year and maybe in the future transition to center.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Was he being used as a LG the same way we scheme our LG? If he just looked good with general guard play then it doesn’t matter that much which side it was on, if he was at LG and was also being asked to pull and get downfield often then that’s another story.

full disclosure I haven’t watched any of his senior bowl tape so you could be totally right

you have to be clear with his senior bowl when talking about it because he spent most of the week's practices at G but then had to play the game at LT because the senior bowl rosters were running out of tackles

and they weren't doing anything particularly crazy with run play calls or anything so nothing on tape in the senior bowl that would suggest specifically that he's a LG vs RG

i will say that he's clearly comfortable on the left side and that transition inside to LG (in terms of footwork) is a lot simpler than a transition inside and to the other side where the footwork etc. is likely mirrored

the other thing is that Yanda is a big reason our running game is traditionally right-handed which calls for pulls by the LG across the line which could mean that we have the opportunity to even things out - however orlando is still there on the right side which means it would make more sense to continue with a right-handed running game that you anchor behind him...

so the long and short of it is that he wasnt being used as a LG in the same way, in fact at some points he ended up playing tackle but that we dont know with yanda gone how inflexible we are with how we use our guards

but the fact we drafted Tyre (and moreover the fact that he was Harbs's guy) suggests that we have a way we want to use him which would suggest RG

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Maybe a little scheme change would work to our advantage though, no?

depends how the coaching staff and front office view Orlando Brown - but he's still there to anchor on the right side even after Yanda's gone - doubling down on the physicality of that side of our OL would not necessarily be a bad thing because we are never going to ask Orlando to pull

partly the reason we run right vs left is down to the strengths of our OL - Ronnie Stanley can do whatever we want him to do because he's an athletic freak of nature with great footwork and everything you could want - he's great hinging and sealing on the backside and he's great pulling and using his athleticism, he's also great as the TE in unbalanced fronts

but we cant ask the same of orlando on the other side who has more limited athleticism but who is definitely not limited with his length and power
it would make sense for our guards to match them in some ways still

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
depends how the coaching staff and front office view Orlando Brown - but he's still there to anchor on the right side even after Yanda's gone - doubling down on the physicality of that side of our OL would not necessarily be a bad thing because we are never going to ask Orlando to pull

partly the reason we run right vs left is down to the strengths of our OL - Ronnie Stanley can do whatever we want him to do because he's an athletic freak of nature with great footwork and everything you could want - he's great hinging and sealing on the backside and he's great pulling and using his athleticism, he's also great as the TE in unbalanced fronts

but we cant ask the same of orlando on the other side who has more limited athleticism but who is definitely not limited with his length and power
it would make sense for our guards to match them in some ways still
I was about say this to you, how the entire OL has to have a specific role because every position has to complement the group, mauler RT to drive and make space, anchor RG to allow pulling, same for C, athletic LG to pull, athletic LT to get wide and seal the edge for the qb. I’m a little stoned and felt like I couldn’t put the thoughts into words so I didn’t post it lmfao.

but yeah it seems like the best theory would be to build the unit around the best player, that was yanda and Stanley, now Stanley is the sole best lineman, our RT already complements the best lineman, now we gotta get the 3 interior spots and based on the LT and RT we have we now have to stick with mobile LG and anchoring RG.

seems ideal that phillips who has incredible potential but also does NOT fit as a LG for us, should focus more on the muscle memory for RG rather than trying to learn LG. It’s for the best of the whole line. You gotta really change the scheme quite a bit if you flip the skill sets of the guard tandem, and good OL play is so hard to find that it’s just unrealistic to think you can get guys who do it all well on each side

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I was about say this to you, how the entire OL has to have a specific role because every position has to complement the group, mauler RT to drive and make space, anchor RG to allow pulling, same for C, athletic LG to pull, athletic LT to get wide and seal the edge for the qb. I’m a little stoned and felt like I couldn’t put the thoughts into words so I didn’t post it lmfao.

but yeah it seems like the best theory would be to build the unit around the best player, that was yanda and Stanley, now Stanley is the sole best lineman, our RT already complements the best lineman, now we gotta get the 3 interior spots and based on the LT and RT we have we now have to stick with mobile LG and anchoring RG.

seems ideal that phillips who has incredible potential but also does NOT fit as a LG for us, should focus more on the muscle memory for RG rather than trying to learn LG. It’s for the best of the whole line. You gotta really change the scheme quite a bit if you flip the skill sets of the guard tandem, and good OL play is so hard to find that it’s just unrealistic to think you can get guys who do it all well on each side

what i would say is that i think you're over-egging how mobile the LG needs to be - they need to have some mobility but ultimately they need to be able to move adequately and have really quick processing as they come round the corner but dont actually need elite mobility to be successful (as we saw from bozeman last year)

but what is important is that the C has a strong anchor because otherwise it ruins the timing of the LG (especially if we're also pulling a TE like Nick Boyle with him)

i think the only reason you'd not get Tyre Phillips to rep on the right side is if he turned up at camp and clearly was the best guard on the field from day 1 (at which point you can build around what he's most comfortable with) but that's unlikely for a rookie coming into one of the most dynamic running schemes in nfl history (i have high hopes for ben bredeson about this just because of his reported photographic memory lol - albeit he has shorter arms than mekari which while he says it hasnt affected him so far - you've got to expect it would be an issue in the nfl)

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Weighing in a little further on Phillips;
I am convinced he could play RT a year from now and hold up. His feet to me are no worse than Browns coming out, he is stronger than Brown and he's probably on par with him as far as how he uses his length. He's just new to football and would need a solid year off field and would probably be rough to start. But once he is up to speed (in a year or so) I doubt you see much of a difference between he and Brown.

With that said, he's a guard to start. His primary concern in pass pro is reach and staying square. If all he can do is stay square at the Guard spot, you still have to get around him...which will take a second.

as far as his mobility and a possible LG fit; Bozeman looked unathletic to me out of school...not anymore. As poor as Phillips footwork can be laterally, he is surprisingly good cleaning up level 2 AND I have definitely seen him pull from LT on a midline run as the lead. So there may be sufficient athleticism to begin with.

excited to see him and where the Ravens envision him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
as far as his mobility and a possible LG fit; Bozeman looked unathletic to me out of school...not anymore. As poor as Phillips footwork can be laterally, he is surprisingly good cleaning up level 2 AND I have definitely seen him pull from LT on a midline run as the lead. So there may be sufficient athleticism to begin with.

oh he's asked to pull a surprising amount - doesnt look ungainly when doing it but his change of direction is quite obviously limited when turning upfield - but i wouldnt say his footwork is messy, just a bit slow

but in terms of pass pro as a guard, defenders would have to orbit him to get past him lol

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

excited to see him and where the Ravens envision him.

DeCosta mentioned bozeman is in the center competition as well. Do you see bozeman as a better center prospect and letting Fluker, Mekari, Powers and the 2 rookies battle it out for the 2 guard positions?

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
DeCosta mentioned bozeman is in the center competition as well. Do you see bozeman as a better center prospect and letting Fluker, Mekari, Powers and the 2 rookies battle it out for the 2 guard positions?

my guess is that it might boil down to whether Skura is ready or not ready. Im thinking Bozeman is our left guard unless Skura can't go (perhaps regardless).Ive wondered why he never got a look at center but its been awhile since Ive watched him there to be honest.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I honestly think Powers will win the RG spot to start the season. Especially with his connection to Orlando
I’m thinking powers might find himself at LG and RG will be one of fluker, phillips, or bredeson, I’m leaning towards fluker at RG and powers LG with Bozeman or mekari at C

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m thinking powers might find himself at LG and RG will be one of fluker, phillips, or bredeson, I’m leaning towards fluker at RG and powers LG with Bozeman or mekari at C
If Powers ends up at LG than I think that means Bozeman wins the C job. If anyone else is at C I feel Bozeman plays LG

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I honestly like that these inside guys have some positional flexibility. Gives the option of different combinations and coaches are gonna have to do their best to pick the right one

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’m assuming skura isn’t playing this year, I just can’t see an injury like that and expect him back less than a year later

idk - he seems to be recovering pretty well from what he's been posting - i think he'll be back - the question for me will be whether he's back at the level he was playing at when he left and if there is a dropoff whether he'll be allowed to struggle or whether he'll be replaced at C

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
idk - he seems to be recovering pretty well from what he's been posting - i think he'll be back - the question for me will be whether he's back at the level he was playing at when he left and if there is a dropoff whether he'll be allowed to struggle or whether he'll be replaced at C
I think it would be tough for him to come back at the level he was when he left, but I believe, in time, he could be better due to all the strength training he has been doing to get back in shape.