• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 Undrafted Free-Agents

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't have a full understanding of it, but apparently these UDFA base salary guarantees to transfer over as a split salary if they're cut and re-sign to the PS. Definitely shows how much a player is liked but obviously, guarantees them nothing in terms of a roster spot.

im more looking at the signing bonus - there's only so much money allotted to give out to the udfas - and i think it's only been around 100k

which means giving a guy over 10k of a bonus is a pretty decent commitment to a udfa - we clearly wanted him enough to offer him a tenth of our bonus allocation

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You know anything about Rivers?

nice mix of quickness to cross the face of the tackle or TE and get inside and also strength to hold up and be physical - shows some nice hand usage and a great motor too at times

not the most refined and lacks a pass rush plan - his quickness is enough to get him by but wont be enough in the nfl - he's not athletically gifted enough to rely on his speed

but its probably important to note that maturity and legal issues are why he went undrafted - idk how high he would have gone but he would for sure have been drafted if he hadnt been arrested 3 times in 2016 (albeit for weed which is less of an issue now with the change in testing rules in the NFL) and 2017 he missed the entire year because he was academically ineligible

he's had 2 good years but the 2016 and 2017 probably lingered over him too much in the draft process to get drafted - he's someone who could for sure be a candidate to make the team especially with how thin we are at OLB but it doesnt help him that rookie minicamp and all offseason onfield activities have been cancelled at least until training camp...

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
You know anything about Rivers?
He went to the same community college ZDS and Tyre Phillips attended after being dismissed by Georgia for repeated weed arrests.
Transferred to Miss. State but then had to sit a season. I only watched highlights but there seems to be a lot to work with.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He went to the same community college ZDS and Tyre Phillips attended after being dismissed by Georgia for repeated weed arrests.
Transferred to Miss. State but then had to sit a season. I only watched highlights but there seems to be a lot to work with.

he's got some tools and the on-field effort to be someone who could get themselves onto the back end of the roster

the problem that udfa EDGEs always have here is that the back-end of the roster in baltimore is always filled by people who contribute (or could contribute) to the team immediately which means special teams and that's not typically something a traditional edge would do a lot of - guys like ZDS and Judon played about 20% special teams snaps in their rookie years but tim williams played almost no special teams at all and only Tyus Bowser is the only one with his athleticism to have carved out any sort of special teams role as a OLB

he'll have to demonstrably prove he's going to contribute in some way or be too good for us to cut or risk going somewhere else - we'll see how he does but he could definitely be a candidate for ghost i/r if he doesnt make the roster especially with judon and tyus slated to be free agents next offseason at the moment

or he could blow it all out the water and earn himself a roster spot

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
nice mix of quickness to cross the face of the tackle or TE and get inside and also strength to hold up and be physical - shows some nice hand usage and a great motor too at times

not the most refined and lacks a pass rush plan - his quickness is enough to get him by but wont be enough in the nfl - he's not athletically gifted enough to rely on his speed

but its probably important to note that maturity and legal issues are why he went undrafted - idk how high he would have gone but he would for sure have been drafted if he hadnt been arrested 3 times in 2016 (albeit for weed which is less of an issue now with the change in testing rules in the NFL) and 2017 he missed the entire year because he was academically ineligible

he's had 2 good years but the 2016 and 2017 probably lingered over him too much in the draft process to get drafted - he's someone who could for sure be a candidate to make the team especially with how thin we are at OLB but it doesnt help him that rookie minicamp and all offseason onfield activities have been cancelled at least until training camp...

Sounds promising and I dont care about weed charges frankly even tho thats a lot but the real edge guy I'm looking at is John Daka. He was all over the field in the FCS championship game which I watched. When we signed him I'm like damn I remember that guy. All I know he was a true edge. I cant remember if he got a sack in that game but he provided a lot of pressure and he made a lot of plays. A real sleeper imo

Hey Tank you see our draft. Do you have sympathy for us now. I’m still waiting for my Sympathy card in the mail Hahahaha.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
ok tyler huntley is really interesting as a developmental QB in our system - i think he's clearly been brought in to battle with trace for the number 3 spot and eventually the number 2 spot - huntley had to deal with one of the worst OLs I've seen on tape in college football last year (maybe only florida state has been harder to watch so far) - he's not particularly aggressive with the football and i think he might lack a bit in arm strength (although looks like there's some mechanical improvements that can be made to help him there) but he's generally accurate and safe with the football (what you want to see in a potential backup) who has a decent pocket sense and some escapability - i think he's someone who would learn a lot from lamar (think he's also another florida boy too) because he's got some off-piste mechanics that could do with some fixing but also a whippy arm (might even have a similar grip on the ball but havent been able to see yet) - he's a lot ganglier than lamar physically and obviously nowhere near as dynamic an athlete but he's got a sense to him that I like - and I like the fit here as a developmental prospect who could catch on

Charm City

Pro Bowler
ok tyler huntley is really interesting as a developmental QB in our system - i think he's clearly been brought in to battle with trace for the number 3 spot and eventually the number 2 spot - huntley had to deal with one of the worst OLs I've seen on tape in college football last year (maybe only florida state has been harder to watch so far) - he's not particularly aggressive with the football and i think he might lack a bit in arm strength (although looks like there's some mechanical improvements that can be made to help him there) but he's generally accurate and safe with the football (what you want to see in a potential backup) who has a decent pocket sense and some escapability - i think he's someone who would learn a lot from lamar (think he's also another florida boy too) because he's got some off-piste mechanics that could do with some fixing but also a whippy arm (might even have a similar grip on the ball but havent been able to see yet) - he's a lot ganglier than lamar physically and obviously nowhere near as dynamic an athlete but he's got a sense to him that I like - and I like the fit here as a developmental prospect who could catch on
I think Tyler Huntley makes the most sense as a long term backup to Lamar. He has enough mobility to keep the same general gameplan and his passing stats (70% completion, 4 INTs) shows me that he can be a decent game manager and allow us to win with the run game if necessary. I knew he protected the ball well, but when you said he had a poor O line I went and looked at the tape and damn, they were getting beat by a three man rush and couldn't pick up a stunt. If you only have 4 picks with that much pressure you have to be at least a somewhat decent passer, I don't even care that most of his reads are short to intermediate.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think Tyler Huntley makes the most sense as a long term backup to Lamar. He has enough mobility to keep the same general gameplan and his passing stats (70% completion, 4 INTs) shows me that he can be a decent game manager and allow us to win with the run game if necessary. I knew he protected the ball well, but when you said he had a poor O line I went and looked at the tape and damn, they were getting beat by a three man rush and couldn't pick up a stunt. If you only have 4 picks with that much pressure you have to be at least a somewhat decent passer, I don't even care that most of his reads are short to intermediate.

Ultimately you want your backup to not lose the game for you and Huntley is the kind of qb who’s wired to not make many mistakes but also has the ability to run the offence - that’s a good sign for him

I think he and trace have got a battle and depending on how it goes, RGIII probably only has 1 year left on the roster