• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 General Draft Thoughts

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Phillips is gonna fly up my imaginary board

Bateman is a top 20 talent, that shit is preposterous

Just watched Phillips today - currently my EDGE 2 behind Ojulari and ahead of Quincy Roche

Rashod Bateman is my WR 3 in his own little tier right now

EDIT: sidenote: i was going through my list and was like - ive done the miami guy, oh interesting there's 2 miami guys who are really well-regarded prospects...

and then i scrolled down the list a little further and was like wtf? how can there be 3 EDGE guys all highly-rated all playing EDGE for Miami and all coming out the same year - what is this madness...

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Just watched Phillips today - currently my EDGE 2 behind Ojulari and ahead of Quincy Roche

Rashod Bateman is my WR 3 in his own little tier right now

EDIT: sidenote: i was going through my list and was like - ive done the miami guy, oh interesting there's 2 miami guys who are really well-regarded prospects...

and then i scrolled down the list a little further and was like wtf? how can there be 3 EDGE guys all highly-rated all playing EDGE for Miami and all coming out the same year - what is this madness...
Yeah I often have a strange bias against a teams edge2 when the edge1 is a star prospect, but I really like Phillips lol, what I’ve seen on tape from him I think I’d be satisfied if he’s our round 1 pick. I just don’t see much less than a stud

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I often have a strange bias against a teams edge2 when the edge1 is a star prospect, but I really like Phillips lol, what I’ve seen on tape from him I think I’d be satisfied if he’s our round 1 pick. I just don’t see much less than a stud

lots of work to do on him vs the running game and i think there's some development to be done with his hands but there's no doubt in my mind that he's a fast and physical high-level talent

i just think (like all the edge rushers ive come across except for Roche) he's a bit raw

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Senior Bowl wise, I don't remember being as impressed by a WR as I am with Demetric Felton. More impressive than even McLaurin or Deebo if you ask me. Dude is uncoverable period.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Senior Bowl wise, I don't remember being as impressed by a WR as I am with Demetric Felton. More impressive than even McLaurin or Deebo if you ask me. Dude is uncoverable period.

Wait, isn't he a RB?

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

And he was a WR for a year before he became a RB. Could be a serious utility style weapon for us/3rd down RB.

Also was impressed by Creed Humphrey and very unimpressed by Jackson at center a position we got to freaking fix.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

he did great in the 1v1s - i thought he did less well during the actual game and some of the team periods

a lot of the slot-type weapons did really well this week - shi smith, d'wayne eskridge, demetric felton, cade johnson, amari rodgers, kadarius toney - all those guys stood out

idk that any of them had the impact on me that deebo had in 2019 and denzel mims had in 2020

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And he was a WR for a year before he became a RB. Could be a serious utility style weapon for us/3rd down RB.

Also was impressed by Creed Humphrey and very unimpressed by Jackson at center a position we got to freaking fix.

Creed Humphrey didnt even really need to be there tbh but he showed everyone (if there was any doubt) why he should be the 1st C off the board and how far ahead of the rest of the group he is at that position

jackson probably lost the senior bowl the moment he weighed in - smallest hands ive ever heard of at that position, shortest arms of any OL in this senior bowl class, 290lbs - and then while he had some nice 1v1 reps he also got benched a few times (which would be a worry given how small he is) and then had a bad snap during the game itself

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
he did great in the 1v1s - i thought he did less well during the actual game and some of the team periods

a lot of the slot-type weapons did really well this week - shi smith, d'wayne eskridge, demetric felton, cade johnson, amari rodgers, kadarius toney - all those guys stood out

idk that any of them had the impact on me that deebo had in 2019 and denzel mims had in 2020
That's the irony, he's been dominant but hard to qualify him a winner with so many guys with similar skillset having also a good week.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That's the irony, he's been dominant but hard to qualify him a winner with so many guys with similar skillset having also a good week.

its also tough for him given that his tape is always gonna be worse as a wr prospect because he spent the whole of 2020 playing RB - senior bowl is going to have to do a lot more work in his evaluation than other aspects of his game

and as you say it doesn’t help him that there’s lots of those guys at the senior bowl but also throughout the class - you can add waddle, Moore, Moore, Darden, newsome, Schwartz, atwell, philyor (and maybe some more that I can’t remember off the top of my head) to the senior bowl group of Toney, eskridge, Smith, Johnson, Rodgers

rossihunter2

Staff Member
from what ive got to so far (and ill admit there's still lots of major names i havent got to) but i get the general feel that unless you want a QB this is a bad year to have a top 10 pick... there's no chase young/nick bosa/quenton nelson/myles garrett at the top

any guesses on who's got my highest grade so far? (clue: haven't done any QBs yet)

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
from what ive got to so far (and ill admit there's still lots of major names i havent got to) but i get the general feel that unless you want a QB this is a bad year to have a top 10 pick... there's no chase young/nick bosa/quenton nelson/myles garrett at the top

any guesses on who's got my highest grade so far? (clue: haven't done any QBs yet)
I'll guess it's between Devonta and Sewell

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Okay so I’m not the only one who’s stupidly high on rashawn slater lol. He’s probably my #3 prospect for the ravens after DeVonta smith and jaylen waddle

I think Slater probably ends up number 1 on my board - im looking at my list and someone would have to come out of nowhere to outdo him

in terms of the guys thought of at the very top of their position ive only got the linebackers (and ive heard parsons is a nice prospect but not seen anything yet), the quarterbacks (but unlikely a QB ends up top of my board) and the TEs (pitts is obviously going to be high but probably unlikely to be number 1)

i think this class overall though is a bit weak at the very top... looking at my grades right now i've only got:
7 players with "top 15" grades right now
6 players with 1st round grades
9 players with late 1st round grades

still some highly touted guys who'll likely end up in that area but feels like it might be a lighter year in terms of guys I like in the 1st round

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think Slater probably ends up number 1 on my board - im looking at my list and someone would have to come out of nowhere to outdo him

in terms of the guys thought of at the very top of their position ive only got the linebackers (and ive heard parsons is a nice prospect but not seen anything yet), the quarterbacks (but unlikely a QB ends up top of my board) and the TEs (pitts is obviously going to be high but probably unlikely to be number 1)

i think this class overall though is a bit weak at the very top... looking at my grades right now i've only got:
7 players with "top 15" grades right now
6 players with 1st round grades
9 players with late 1st round grades

still some highly touted guys who'll likely end up in that area but feels like it might be a lighter year in terms of guys I like in the 1st round
Yeah I’m not a fan of the top of this class either, seems mid first to mid third range is extra juicy this year, but top half of the first round feels kinda barren and not many day 3 guys have caught my eye at all