• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 General Draft Thoughts

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
it shows up more in the running game where he's already dominant and further ahead technically than where he is as a pass rusher - as you say he's a freaky athlete and has the tools to be a menace off the edge
I think his speed to power conversion to tighten the corner is elite.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think his speed to power conversion to tighten the corner is elite.

he's got moves and he's got tools - just really inconsistent and imprecise with his hands - but has the power and explosion that when he gets into you he'll dominate - just occasionally seems a bit aimless with his rushes - when he's good with his hands, he's dominant - doesn't have a plan b though if he gets stopped initially... doesn't really counter effectively yet

but yeah he's explosive and powerful and has length too - he looks and plays like he was built in a lab to be a freaky edge rusher

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
both Teven Jenkins and Zaven collins would be hard to pass up if there at 27.

Also, Payton Turner out of Houston is really growing on me. He can play the run game from outside and he's effective inside as well. I like his versatility and he strikes me as an ascending player

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
both Teven Jenkins and Zaven collins would be hard to pass up if there at 27.

Also, Payton Turner out of Houston is really growing on me. He can play the run game from outside and he's effective inside as well. I like his versatility and he strikes me as an ascending player
Yes finally someone else high on turner! He looks like a Wink defender if I’ve ever seen one, violent, long, and powerful player with a surprising ability to change direction, an “FSU” player, as in fuck shit up lol, just very disruptive to the OLs scheme, a lot like we see from McPhee when he’s on his game.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Turner's ridiculous lol. He has no Idea what he's doing and it still works. I've literally had to pause tape cause I was laughing. Dude's crazy talented.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Since Paye is the subject, I just want it be known he will be the #1 defensive player on my board. Can't really elaborate except he's just freaky and sometimes impossible to block. He's barely figuring it out and OT already can't handle him.
I wouldn’t put him that high on mine, but he is probably different in a ravens defense than he would be in many other places. He’s got work to do on his pass rushing but he has freaky ass natural ability and the kind of shit that I think wink can get a lot of production out of, game wrecking athleticism and physicality and wink would have him blowing up game plans with that

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes finally someone else high on turner! He looks like a Wink defender if I’ve ever seen one, violent, long, and powerful player with a surprising ability to change direction, an “FSU” player, as in fuck shit up lol, just very disruptive to the OLs scheme, a lot like we see from McPhee when he’s on his game.
I love his positional versatility and ability to rush from the inside. Motor is crazy...length is crazy.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I love his positional versatility and ability to rush from the inside. Motor is crazy...length is crazy.

very surprising bend given his size - has a really nice dip move, really effective push-pull and a bunch of other moves too

will be interested to see what he weighs in at his proday - has played at 270 and at 290 in college and i think his sweet spot is probably going to be somewhere in the middle

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
very surprising bend given his size - has a really nice dip move, really effective push-pull and a bunch of other moves too

will be interested to see what he weighs in at his proday - has played at 270 and at 290 in college and i think his sweet spot is probably going to be somewhere in the middle
I love him under the wing of Calais.
makes a ton of plays he has seemingly over run by sheer length and want to.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I love him under the wing of Calais.
makes a ton of plays he has seemingly over run by sheer length and want to.

for sure - there's some serious upside if he can learn to be more precise with his hand-placement and better with his timing - as you say, right now he gets by with his length, general fury and activity

calais would be good to learn from (his length and ability to overwhelm especially inside) but i like him stylistically more under mcphee's wing (not that he can't learn from both lol) - how he can control his violence and power to be absolutely devastating at the initial engage-point and how to combine that with short-area explosion

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Kwity Paye, Carlos basham, Payton turner, cam sample, these are guys I like to refer to as Wink rushers. The potential 2014 pernell McPhee, 2018 zadarius smith, types of rushers. The kind of guys wink loves to scheme around.

the guy I really want though, I don’t think will be available because the ability is too special and teams will look past the medical red flags, is jaelen Phillips. That’s about as much of a slam dunk edge prospect as I’ve ever seen, his film honestly leaves nothing to be desired.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Kwity Paye, Carlos basham, Payton turner, cam sample, these are guys I like to refer to as Wink rushers. The potential 2014 pernell McPhee, 2018 zadarius smith, types of rushers. The kind of guys wink loves to scheme around.

the guy I really want though, I don’t think will be available because the ability is too special and teams will look past the medical red flags, is jaelen Phillips. That’s about as much of a slam dunk edge prospect as I’ve ever seen, his film honestly leaves nothing to be desired.

i like the other 3 a lot more than i like sample

i think there's a few other guys who play with that flexibility to move all over the LoS, but the other guy i'd add to your list who seems to fit the criteria and have the frame and weight of a guy we'd look at traditionally would be dayo odeyingbo - 270+lbs with lots of length, positional flexibility, violence and explosion

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i like the other 3 a lot more than i like sample

i think there's a few other guys who play with that flexibility to move all over the LoS, but the other guy i'd add to your list who seems to fit the criteria and have the frame and weight of a guy we'd look at traditionally would be dayo odeyingbo - 270+lbs with lots of length, positional flexibility, violence and explosion
I haven’t watched odeyingbo, I tend to take a long time to look at the guys with the hard to pronounce names, no idea why tbh lol.

and yeah the others are in a class above sample for sure, but I do see a lot of potential from sample just because he’s SO physically dominant, he reminds me a lot of James Harrison

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
can't get inspired by most of the WR's . The idea of taking one in the second round over an edge defender OLINE or even a quality TE so we can say we drafted Lamar a, "weapon" is really beginning to irk me.

I'll admit to breeding through the film generally and saying "next" if I am not grabbed pretty immediately but the only two I find remotely interesting after round one are Moore and St. Brown .

I have a very hard time believing that St. Brown will be the best available at our 2nd round pick.

For whatever reason, just getting a bad feeling about reaches and drafting for need.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Is there a dedicated DeCosta thread? I still cannot get with the idea of trading away Hurst and not even making an effort to replace him before the season. Harrison Bryant was around in round four for goodness sake. A bit of a rant here but how on earth do you trade away a number one type TE and miss on Harrison Bryant.
I dont remember seeing a better fit for the ravens at that position.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
can't get inspired by most of the WR's . The idea of taking one in the second round over an edge defender OLINE or even a quality TE so we can say we drafted Lamar a, "weapon" is really beginning to irk me.

I'll admit to breeding through the film generally and saying "next" if I am not grabbed pretty immediately but the only two I find remotely interesting after round one are Moore and St. Brown .

I have a very hard time believing that St. Brown will be the best available at our 2nd round pick.

For whatever reason, just getting a bad feeling about reaches and drafting for need.

who else have you watched other than Moore and st brown?

who were the guys who made you skip lol?

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I haven’t watched odeyingbo, I tend to take a long time to look at the guys with the hard to pronounce names, no idea why tbh lol.
I do the same but with guys that have french names I don't know why i do that I just don't want to watch them WTF is wrong with me.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It's now basically guaranteed that QBs are going 1, 2 and 3 - and tbh now that 49ers are at 3 it makes it more likely a QB gets taken at 4 too - either by atlanta or whichever of the panthers or broncos manages to trade into that spot

i could see the 49ers liking Trey Lance but i'd love to see zach wilson or justin fields in kyle shanahan's offence