• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 General Draft Thoughts

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
im not too big on drafting a TE this year, but tommy tremble looks like a hayden hurst replacement if ive ever seen one.

his role was the exact same as haydens role here, he may be much more explosive than hurst though. backfield alignment, motion to kick out block, screens, chip & release, he also looks to be really good at sneaking through the traffic and coming out the other side wide open, just a slippery guy when hes inline or in the backfield and fast enough to be a mismatch there, but still athletic enough to flex out to the slot.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
im not too big on drafting a TE this year, but tommy tremble looks like a hayden hurst replacement if ive ever seen one.

his role was the exact same as haydens role here, he may be much more explosive than hurst though. backfield alignment, motion to kick out block, screens, chip & release, he also looks to be really good at sneaking through the traffic and coming out the other side wide open, just a slippery guy when hes inline or in the backfield and fast enough to be a mismatch there, but still athletic enough to flex out to the slot.

it's just really hard to project him as a receiver given his lack of usage at ND - and unlike Hayden he's not going to get YAC - but he's certainly a good blocker with some nice athletic traits - certainly would be intrigued by drafting him on day 3 but not before

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

With the 27th pick in the 2021 nfl draft.....

lol there is no reason a vertical should move a center a half a round up the board but in reality I think Humphrey has been a first rounder all along. We always think these centers go early second and then there’s no center on the board after the early 20s lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
With the 27th pick in the 2021 nfl draft.....

lol there is no reason a vertical should move a center a half a round up the board but in reality I think Humphrey has been a first rounder all along. We always think these centers go early second and then there’s no center on the board after the early 20s lol

i think he's a 1st round pick - only thing that would push him down is being an interior OL in a draft full of tackles...

it would be unspectacular but ultimately i'd have no issue with taking Humphrey at 27 - he's a very safe pick who has the look of a guy who probably has a nice long career in the NFL

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i think he's a 1st round pick - only thing that would push him down is being an interior OL in a draft full of tackles...

it would be unspectacular but ultimately i'd have no issue with taking Humphrey at 27 - he's a very safe pick who has the look of a guy who probably has a nice long career in the NFL
He’s pretty much a slam dunk guaranteed massive upgrade to a position that is crucial to our qbs development and to our offenses continuity. I wouldn’t even call it unspectacular, centers are hard to find and cost quite a bit in FA.

Humphrey feels a lot like mark andrews in the sense that his position is devalued by the media and in some ways the nfl too, but is easily a first round talent and if your team has a big need there then he could be the safest and biggest net upgrade you could take in the first.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He’s pretty much a slam dunk guaranteed massive upgrade to a position that is crucial to our qbs development and to our offenses continuity. I wouldn’t even call it unspectacular, centers are hard to find and cost quite a bit in FA.

Humphrey feels a lot like mark andrews in the sense that his position is devalued by the media and in some ways the nfl too, but is easily a first round talent and if your team has a big need there then he could be the safest and biggest net upgrade you could take in the first.

would be fun if we draft him and keep orlando to have the entire right side of our OL potentially be from Oklahoma

it's also entirely possible none of the OL is from oklahoma at all this offseason if we trade away orlando, don't pick up humphrey and the ravens coaching staff continue to be lower on Powers than everyone else

both options are interestingly feasible

if we can leave the draft with either Humphrey or Dickerson then we've massively upgraded the C position - they're clearly in a class of their own at C in this draft - I've got Myers as the next guy

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
would be fun if we draft him and keep orlando to have the entire right side of our OL potentially be from Oklahoma

it's also entirely possible none of the OL is from oklahoma at all this offseason if we trade away orlando, don't pick up humphrey and the ravens coaching staff continue to be lower on Powers than everyone else

both options are interestingly feasible

if we can leave the draft with either Humphrey or Dickerson then we've massively upgraded the C position - they're clearly in a class of their own at C in this draft - I've got Myers as the next guy
Myers has become a massive step below those top 2 guys for me, I was high on him long ago but at this point I wouldn’t even bother til our comp3 where he won’t be available anyway. Looks solid on film but he’s so average in every regard I feel he’s just gonna be outmanned in the nfl. Humphrey and Dickerson are the kinda guys that could go in the teens to a center needy team and there should no eyebrows raised about it lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Myers has become a massive step below those top 2 guys for me, I was high on him long ago but at this point I wouldn’t even bother til our comp3 where he won’t be available anyway. Looks solid on film but he’s so average in every regard I feel he’s just gonna be outmanned in the nfl. Humphrey and Dickerson are the kinda guys that could go in the teens to a center needy team and there should no eyebrows raised about it lol

i'm absolutely with you - think there's a full 2 rounds of difference in grade between those 2 and Myers as the 3rd C in the class (although depends how you feel about Meinerz and Moore - they may both play C in the league but I've got them graded as guards right now - in which case Meinerz would be Center 3 for me)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i'm absolutely with you - think there's a full 2 rounds of difference in grade between those 2 and Myers as the 3rd C in the class (although depends how you feel about Meinerz and Moore - they may both play C in the league but I've got them graded as guards right now - in which case Meinerz would be Center 3 for me)
I have yet to watch meinerz but I’ve been hearing that name A LOT

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

5 comments, here they are:

2E404C1C-62E9-403A-89B7-7018F9F70E25.png

y’all mfs I swear

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Bro Turd Ferguson is about to have THAT breakout season. You damn right I'mma speak it into existence. Fuck with your boy!
Impossible, straight up lol.

and I’m more referring to every poster saying no to Joseph ossai because he’s a Texas edge and so was Sergio kindle. What the hell makes so many people think like this?? Don’t touch Florida dbs because Matt Elam exists, don’t touch Texas edge rushers because Sergio kindle existed, don’t touch any player from Alabama because Ozzie drafted a lot of them, like how do people come to these conclusions lol

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Impossible, straight up lol.

and I’m more referring to every poster saying no to Joseph ossai because he’s a Texas edge and so was Sergio kindle. What the hell makes so many people think like this?? Don’t touch Florida dbs because Matt Elam exists, don’t touch Texas edge rushers because Sergio kindle existed, don’t touch any player from Alabama because Ozzie drafted a lot of them, like how do people come to these conclusions lol

Texas must have something in the water with their pro days. You know I like Ossai but I also seen Caden Stearns (safety) and Sam Cosmi (OT) put up amazing numbers and these are two huge needs at least if we trade Brown Jr. You or @rossihunter2 or anybody else for that matter know anything about these 2 guys.

Free agency is gonna be big and I think we're gonna sign at least one top tier fa since the market will bottom out some. I'm really shooting for Linsley to anchor the line and going after cuts after that to preserve comp picks and Linsley more than likely will cancel out either Judon or Ngakoue. We get a couple weeks into that and the draft talk will get super hot and heavy

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Texas must have something in the water with their pro days. You know I like Ossai but I also seen Caden Stearns (safety) and Sam Cosmi (OT) put up amazing numbers and these are two huge needs at least if we trade Brown Jr. You or @rossihunter2 or anybody else for that matter know anything about these 2 guys.

Free agency is gonna be big and I think we're gonna sign at least one top tier fa since the market will bottom out some. I'm really shooting for Linsley to anchor the line and going after cuts after that to preserve comp picks and Linsley more than likely will cancel out either Judon or Ngakoue. We get a couple weeks into that and the draft talk will get super hot and heavy
Sterns has been a sleeper, cosmi has pretty much always been considered a first round talent and will likely go way before us.

sterns is a fairly well rounded safety, like him better downhill, but he does have some speed and a bit of range to hold up in coverage. Plays better facing the qb and playing top down, reads keys well in the run game and short/quick high percentage throws and is there to make tackles for minimal gain often, good tackler and good angles. Honestly a toned down less aggressive deshon Elliott isn’t too far off a comp. Kenny vaccaro type player maybe? Just not a standout coverage guy but holds up well enough to see the field and make a lot of tackles/breakups

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sterns has been a sleeper, cosmi has pretty much always been considered a first round talent and will likely go way before us.

sterns is a fairly well rounded safety, like him better downhill, but he does have some speed and a bit of range to hold up in coverage. Plays better facing the qb and playing top down, reads keys well in the run game and short/quick high percentage throws and is there to make tackles for minimal gain often, good tackler and good angles. Honestly a toned down less aggressive deshon Elliott isn’t too far off a comp. Kenny vaccaro type player maybe? Just not a standout coverage guy but holds up well enough to see the field and make a lot of tackles/breakups

Ok I was hoping he was more a centerfielder and surprized to hear Cosmi will go before we pick. If he's a LT I see it. Looking more for a RT fit but one that can swing.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i've not watched any of sterns yet but Cosmi is definitely in with a shout of being my OT 5 when all is said and done - he's definitely part of that group of 5 or 6 guys who could or should go sometime from the end of the 1st through to the mid-2nd if they aren't taken earlier: Cosmi, Radunz, Mayfield, Eichenberg, Leatherwood, and some would have Jenkins here too (but I think he's a tier above this group) - i've also got Walker Little in that group too but he had an injury in 2019 and opted out of 2020 so has only played 1 game in the last 2 years so may well fall a bit...

Ossai's game vs Utah in 2019 is probably the most unblockable performance of any of the edge prospects in this class (i think he finished with 6 TFLs and 3 sacks officially) - he's a raw but relentless pass rusher with a high upside as an edge setter with the athleticism to perform well in space - he's pretty stiff though which limits his ability to bend - it doesn't help that one of his biggest issues as a pass rusher is he's consistently late off the snap, consistently the last guy off the line - and so that's all part of what stops me from considering him right at the top - but if he's there in the mid-late 2nd round then he's definitely worth a long hard look with that relentlessness, hand violence, power and athleticism

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ok I was hoping he was more a centerfielder and surprized to hear Cosmi will go before we pick. If he's a LT I see it. Looking more for a RT fit but one that can swing.

a lot of the guys who played LT in college are going to be good fits on the right side - i wouldn't worry about that too much - especially that cluster of guys at the end of the 1st/beginning of the 2nd

i definitely would not put it in the bank that Cosmi would be gone before he gets to us - there's just so many tackles available in that range that i cannot guarantee that he's the guy who gets picked - I've got him OT5 but I think it's perfectly possible that some teams will have Radunz or Mayfield ahead of him so I would not be surprised at all if he's still there at 27 - but I do think you could make a pretty good case for him to be a top 27 player too