• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 General Draft Thoughts

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
im not sure if phillips is good because idk wtf im looking at when it comes to pass rushers but you guys like him so i can get on board.. say phillips fall to 27 and we are able to grab him, would you all be ok with trading orlando to jags for that 2nd and maybe something else to maybe grab elijah moore if he is there?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
So PFF has a premium draft simulator. The simulator has trades. I hope you know where this is going. After a myriad of trials and jotted notes, here are the best results I've had thus far (Please keep in mind that I'm horribly behind in scouting and took several of these players based on the general thoughts from the media and people on this board):

PFF-Mock-Final.png

Here's a link to the full version for authenticity (Link). Here are all of the picks for the following years (Link). Where do I send in my resume?
Great draft made even better with all of the draft picks you acquired for the next couple years!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
im not sure if phillips is good because idk wtf im looking at when it comes to pass rushers but you guys like him so i can get on board.. say phillips fall to 27 and we are able to grab him, would you all be ok with trading orlando to jags for that 2nd and maybe something else to maybe grab elijah moore if he is there?
Phillips has the tools to be a really good Edge, the only reason he's in mocks falling to us is his injury history.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

to me, phillips is a top 10/15 type edge based on his tape and his athletic traits - the injury history gives us a shot at him and if he's there it's probably worth a shot - he'd be a rare type of talent to be available to us where we normally pick

as for trading orlando for the 33rd pick - it's ok i guess but if we're targetting elijah moore there, then who's going to play RT for us in 2021?

don't get me wrong - that would be amazing to get 2 talents like phillips and moore in the same class but we'd also be opening up a hole at tackle and be forced to probably spend the 58th pick on a tackle no matter what players are still available at other positions

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

worth pointing out that josh rosen for some reason got crucified for these sorts of sentiments...

i've got no issue with them at all - just thought it was an interesting comparison from only 3 drafts ago

Well if Fields said what Sunshine said:

"These are the concerns that my sources were talking about with Fields."

"This is a big red flag. Head coach needs to have a sit down and say son, 'We're trying to win championships and I need you to be fully on board.'"

rossihunter2

Staff Member
this is the part of the year when i start to get a bit bored playing with mock simulators because the values are so different on their boards vs mine that im often picking the same players most times

PFF seems to be really low on a ton of OL prospects - AVT, Creed Humphrey, Spencer Brown and many more
draftnetwork seems to be really low on lots of EDGE guys

Simba

Staff Member
This is super interesting. Might be a good thing that we have a kinda full roster and won’t have as many slots for UDFAs this year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is super interesting. Might be a good thing that we have a kinda full roster and won’t have as many slots for UDFAs this year.

my board is the smallest it's ever been since i started doing these boards tbf - not unsurprising especially given the way the season went and the option for guys to go back to school for an extra year if they wanted...

bodes well for those 2nd and 3rd year UDFAs/bubble types for sure though if there isnt an influx of younger slightly more controllable (contract-wise) talent

Simba

Staff Member
my board is the smallest it's ever been since i started doing these boards tbf - not unsurprising especially given the way the season went and the option for guys to go back to school for an extra year if they wanted...

bodes well for those 2nd and 3rd year UDFAs/bubble types for sure though if there isnt an influx of younger slightly more controllable (contract-wise) talent

Not totally surprising but also surprising at the same time. I knew there would be less but that's a startlingly low number. The most interesting note was that some execs believe that they'll be drafting guys that would typically be UDFAs in the last couple of rounds.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not totally surprising but also surprising at the same time. I knew there would be less but that's a startlingly low number. The most interesting note was that some execs believe that they'll be drafting guys that would typically be UDFAs in the last couple of rounds.

im pretty sure the ravens normally feel mostly that way in the 7th round anyway so i cant imagine how they'll feel this year lol

Simba

Staff Member
im pretty sure the ravens normally feel mostly that way in the 7th round anyway so i cant imagine how they'll feel this year lol

The good news is that we have 72 on the roster and 8 draft picks, so only 10 spots to fill assuming we're going back to 90 this year. I know we typically like to stack UDFAs but if it's going to be as barren as they say...

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

I wouldnt ever sign with a nfl agent, especially as a rookie.. draft class is likely small but i dnt see why they analyze it by counting how many players sign with agents

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Decosta 17th ranked gm when it comes to drafting!!
Heard about that list on 105.7 this morning, they laid into that list and atypical of 105.7 they laid out a long line of details pointing out hypocrisy in the statements and reasonings behind the rankings

Simba

Staff Member
I wouldnt ever sign with a nfl agent, especially as a rookie.. draft class is likely small but i dnt see why they analyze it by counting how many players sign with agents

That's fine and all for the top guys but the lower ranked guys need agents. They need marketing and exposure to teams that they wouldn't get otherwise.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I'm at the point where I'm just tired of all the nonsensical this player will rise, this player will fall, and every other hot take there is. I'm just ready for the Draft to get started, the fact it still is two weeks away is crazy. Even now I feel like first three rounds should have happened, and tomorrow is Rounds 4-7.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Has anyone checked out Dazz Newsome, WR, North Carolina. Not saying for us, but he is my neighbors nephew. His best chance of making a roster is as a slot receiver and punt returner. I'm just curious if anyone came across his tape.