• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 General Draft Thoughts

rossihunter2

Staff Member

A look back at the 2016 draft class by UrinatingTree. It's good to look back sometimes to remind ourselves of the ones we thought would be studs but we're busts.

2016 is a classic ravens recent draft lol - great pick on day 1, busts all over day 2, starters found in day 3... and as udfas

Stanley, Judon, Tavon, Pierce were all 2016 rookies
also got some ok play from Alex Lewis, Maurice Canady and Chris Moore (on special teams) (and will lutz who the saints got from our kicker production line)

but absolutely zero contributions from day 2

JO_75

Hall of Famer

Taking Harris instead of a QB would be similar to the Giants taking Saquon thinking they could still win with Eli. I get wanting a new left tackle and a center but the fact they like Landon over Creed Humphrey may be a good sign for us that we could potentially draft Creed. I'm fully expecting things to get more interesting with only a week or so left, perhaps the Falcons trade down before the draft with a team who is comfortable taking whoever is left whether it's Jones, Fields or Lance. Denver apparently has made an offer to jump up to 4, going to be a fun last week or so until we can finally get to the start of Round 1.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Taking Harris instead of a QB would be similar to the Giants taking Saquon thinking they could still win with Eli. I get wanting a new left tackle and a center but the fact they like Landon over Creed Humphrey may be a good sign for us that we could potentially draft Creed. I'm fully expecting things to get more interesting with only a week or so left, perhaps the Falcons trade down before the draft with a team who is comfortable taking whoever is left whether it's Jones, Fields or Lance. Denver apparently has made an offer to jump up to 4, going to be a fun last week or so until we can finally get to the start of Round 1.

not really - i doubt a QB worth picking makes it to them at 24 - and it's ben's last season, they might as well go all in now and start the rebuild next year...

but those 3 guys are not a surprise - Jenkins would be the no-brainer for them but he might not make it to 24 in the first place, Harris is frequently mocked to them (i'd honestly love it if they picked a RB in the first round, even if he is great lol), dickerson would make sense too and i think he's great - obviously there's a significant injury risk involved with him but i do think he's a great player

so it's not really like the giants because who are they passing on... and if it is one of those OL guys then that's great news for whatever young guy/vet they bring in next year...

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The media can't make their mind up on the 49ers pick. It has changed after every Pro Day. Day the trade was announced, everyone said Mac Jones had to be pick. Then it was Fields, now they are saying Trey Lance. I figured Fields but it wouldn't surprise me if they pick Lance.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

jayson oweh
alex leatherwood
kadarius toney
trevon moehrig

these are the main names that come to mind. i would put najee harris in there, but i actually think some team is gonna fuck around and draft him in 1, namely the steelers and dolphins.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
jayson oweh
alex leatherwood
kadarius toney
trevon moehrig

these are the main names that come to mind. i would put najee harris in there, but i actually think some team is gonna fuck around and draft him in 1, namely the steelers and dolphins.

maybe oweh but guys that freaky normally do get drafted high

i could definitely see this regarding kadarius toney though
rousseau was the name that immediately came to mind for me though
jalen mayfield too (i like him but nowhere near the 1st round)

for me the names that sprang to mind were:
Toney
Rousseau
Mayfield
Nick Bolton (who tbf ive not seen in mocks for a while)

otherwise i'm guessing injury guys like jaelan phillips and landon dickerson maybe...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The media can't make their mind up on the 49ers pick. It has changed after every Pro Day. Day the trade was announced, everyone said Mac Jones had to be pick. Then it was Fields, now they are saying Trey Lance. I figured Fields but it wouldn't surprise me if they pick Lance.

Trey Lance is a good fit for that shanahan offence for sure - i love fields but would not quibble if the 49ers loved trey lance as a scheme fit more

i could not fathom a world in which they decided mac jones was worth all that draft capital to move up for though

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
maybe oweh but guys that freaky normally do get drafted high

i could definitely see this regarding kadarius toney though
rousseau was the name that immediately came to mind for me though
jalen mayfield too (i like him but nowhere near the 1st round)

for me the names that sprang to mind were:
Toney
Rousseau
Mayfield
Nick Bolton (who tbf ive not seen in mocks for a while)

otherwise i'm guessing injury guys like jaelan phillips and landon dickerson maybe...
idk i feel like PFF and youtube guys are the only ones im seeing with rousseau in the first round

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'll preface this by saying it's really hard to work out who might be available when we pick,

but it seems to me that we can probably narrow down our potential selections at 27 (if we pick at 27) to...

Terrace Marshall
Rashod Bateman
Jaelan Phillips
Azeez Ojulari

i cant think of anyone else who'd be in play there who'll be available
- none of the OTs will make it to 27 if they're worth taking
- it's highly probable that none of the IOL are deemed worthy enough or healthy enough
- i dont think any of the safeties are going to be deemed worth it
- likewise DTs
- and certainly none of the TEs either
- CB's a vague possibility but id imagine if there's a CB that good still available we'll probably get some calls for trades to get ahead of the saints at 28

which realistically leaves EDGE, WR and LB with LB being the wildcard (with the top 3 guys all having pretty diverse play styles) - i dont foresee paye or any of the top 3 WRs being available which leaves us with the 4 guys i listed above

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'll preface this by saying it's really hard to work out who might be available when we pick,

but it seems to me that we can probably narrow down our potential selections at 27 (if we pick at 27) to...

Terrace Marshall
Rashod Bateman
Jaelan Phillips
Azeez Ojulari

i cant think of anyone else who'd be in play there who'll be available
- none of the OTs will make it to 27 if they're worth taking
- it's highly probable that none of the IOL are deemed worthy enough or healthy enough
- i dont think any of the safeties are going to be deemed worth it
- likewise DTs
- and certainly none of the TEs either
- CB's a vague possibility but id imagine if there's a CB that good still available we'll probably get some calls for trades to get ahead of the saints at 28

which realistically leaves EDGE, WR and LB with LB being the wildcard (with the top 3 guys all having pretty diverse play styles) - i dont foresee paye or any of the top 3 WRs being available which leaves us with the 4 guys i listed above
i think oweh and the top 2 centers are very much in play.

also wouldnt discount elijah moore.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i think oweh and the top 2 centers are very much in play.

also wouldnt discount elijah moore.

i just dont think the ravens will be in on moore - he's high on my board, as are dickerson and humphrey - but im not sure that the ravens will necessarily agree - dickerson for health reasons, humphrey seems to be thought of much more lowly by the league and pundits than by us on this board

otherwise i would have listed them because i think all 3 of those guys are in the same range for me as marshall, ojulari etc.

oweh im not sure about what the ravens will think of him

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Because they're bored and running out of material to talk about.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

I can see Steelers taking someone like Kellen Mond in the 2nd

rossihunter2

Staff Member

idk what's going on but the media insiders and draft insiders are complicit in this narrative stuff - this is clearly teams trying to make the 49ers 2nd guess taking fields or lance - the issue is that none of this information is being vetted and guys are just throwing out whatever x scout from x area for x team told them on text without any sort of quality filter

the issue this year is that lying season seems to be playing on old racial tropes again that i thought we'd already hashed out after lamar made them all look stupid but here we are again

i like mac jones, but all this stuff being pushed about him being so great and better than fields and lance etc. is making me not like him (and it's not his fault whatsoever)

JO_75

Hall of Famer

idk what's going on but the media insiders and draft insiders are complicit in this narrative stuff - this is clearly teams trying to make the 49ers 2nd guess taking fields or lance - the issue is that none of this information is being vetted and guys are just throwing out whatever x scout from x area for x team told them on text without any sort of quality filter

the issue this year is that lying season seems to be playing on old racial tropes again that i thought we'd already hashed out after lamar made them all look stupid but here we are again

i like mac jones, but all this stuff being pushed about him being so great and better than fields and lance etc. is making me not like him (and it's not his fault whatsoever)

Yeah the media has done this for years. The sudden media push for Mac felt so forced when we knew Trevor and Fields were 1-2 for an entire year. Ultimately my gut tells me they are taking Lance and he'll sit a year before taking over. It's terrible those in the sports media have continued to push this trope for decades.

Vick, Cam, Wilson, Watson, Lamar, etc; How many more examples do they need to stop pushing that trope?

Reactions: cdp

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

Miller is a hack. There's no point in listening to anything he reports. At some point Orlando Brown was his #1 OT then all of a sudden he's barely draftable. Miller criticized Andrews because he's got diabetes.