• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 General Draft Thoughts

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Has anyone checked out Dazz Newsome, WR, North Carolina. Not saying for us, but he is my neighbors nephew. His best chance of making a roster is as a slot receiver and punt returner. I'm just curious if anyone came across his tape.

he's fun - UNC's offence as a whole were fun to watch - he's got nice speed and quickness, good after the catch, creates vertical push with his stems well, can sink his hips really well at the break-point, might be quicker than fast but was an all-level threat in college, good hands

and he's an aggressive downfield blocker...

has some tools to develop into a good route-runner out of the slot - as you say he's got the returns ability also - probably will have to make a team based on his special teams to begin his career

rossihunter2

Staff Member
At this point it's kind of early to judge his drafts. So I'm fine with him being 17th. You can't put him in the top ten nor bottom ten.

i think my issue is more that he gives someone like duke tobin credit for drafts before he was officially in charge of them - and it's well known in baltimore that EDC has been running the draft for multiple years before 2019 - obviously you're looking at Ozzie having final say etc. but for all intents and purposes EDC has been running the draft room for more than 2 years...

and i'd imagine he'd be thought of a lot more highly if he were given at least partial credit for lamar, orlando, mark andrews, bozeman, elliott, averett etc...

like its cool and romantic to think of that draft as a wonderful goodbye present from ozzie who gets to start and finish his ravens career with 2 of the best drafts we could possibly have but EDC was running the board etc.

but heyho - it's an arbitrary list by one guy so it's not that important lol

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
At this point it's kind of early to judge his drafts. So I'm fine with him being 17th. You can't put him in the top ten nor bottom ten.
they also didn't give Patrick Queen high grades from this and said Hollywood only does well during the playoffs. Seriously they didn't put much thought into this and barely recognized Madubuike

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
they also didn't give Patrick Queen high grades from this and said Hollywood only does well during the playoffs. Seriously they didn't put much thought into this and barely recognized Madubuike
I think it said queen was the worst rated rookie lb or atleast the one i read did

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think my issue is more that he gives someone like duke tobin credit for drafts before he was officially in charge of them - and it's well known in baltimore that EDC has been running the draft for multiple years before 2019 - obviously you're looking at Ozzie having final say etc. but for all intents and purposes EDC has been running the draft room for more than 2 years...

and i'd imagine he'd be thought of a lot more highly if he were given at least partial credit for lamar, orlando, mark andrews, bozeman, elliott, averett etc...

like its cool and romantic to think of that draft as a wonderful goodbye present from ozzie who gets to start and finish his ravens career with 2 of the best drafts we could possibly have but EDC was running the board etc.

but heyho - it's an arbitrary list by one guy so it's not that important lol

I think it said queen was the worst rated rookie lb or atleast the one i read did

Ok. This article really seems to be using an arbitrary list. Duke Tobin in front of DeCosta lmao. I had to read it and wow it's just awful. Jason Licht drafted a K in the 2nd. Colbert 2nd no way. Rosenthal included Minkah even though they traded for him and his ranking is solely based on draft success. And now I've spent too much time on a... article...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ok. This article really seems to be using an arbitrary list. Duke Tobin in front of DeCosta lmao. I had to read it and wow it's just awful. Jason Licht drafted a K in the 2nd. Colbert 2nd no way. Rosenthal included Minkah even though they traded for him and his ranking is solely based on draft success. And now I've spent too much time on a... article...

tbf to Gregg Rosenthaal, he lost a really close friend the day before the superbowl (chris wesseling - another nfl.com writer) and i have a feeling the level of research on this article is not up to his usual standards i'd imagine... for fairly obvious reasons

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
and he picked up big time towards the latter part of the season. Almost every rookie on every team was hindered last season due to covid and not having any workouts. I don't have any issues with Queen and believe he is going to be a stud.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well we're only about 10 days out and I have zeroed in on Creed Humphrey being the 1st pick if available. He's the best one out there and the center has been below average around here for way too long. Collapsing pockets. Bad snaps. We need to get our long term now!! I don't wanna talk about TCC or moving Bozeman over. We're talking fuckin bandaids here.

Reactions: cdp

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Well we're only about 10 days out and I have zeroed in on Creed Humphrey being the 1st pick if available. He's the best one out there and the center has been below average around here for way too long. Collapsing pockets. Bad snaps. We need to get our long term now!! I don't wanna talk about TCC or moving Bozeman over. We're talking fuckin bandaids here.
I’ve been on this one for a while, him or Marshall is who I’ve been locked in on for a month

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’ve been on this one for a while, him or Marshall is who I’ve been locked in on for a month

they're 22nd and 23rd on my board respectively - so it would make a ton of sense

and other than dickerson - who's unlikely to be taken that high because of the injury issues, i don't really foresee any of the guys above them on my board being available

if we pick at 27, at this point my guess is Terrace Marshall Jr (22nd on my board), Creed Humphrey (23rd), Azeez Ojulari (25th)

the wildcards might be basham (30th) and Barmore (31st) just because the fits are so good

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think about stuff when I mow the lawn. We need Marlon Humphrey in round one. Doesn't matter what position as much as whether the pick represents someone of supreme talent, someone that is devoted to the game and the team and improving and someone with that rare ability to be in the moment without looking back and without looking ahead.

If you can find that in the first round, even its another corner...take him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think about stuff when I mow the lawn. We need Marlon Humphrey in round one. Doesn't matter what position as much as whether the pick represents someone of supreme talent, someone that is devoted to the game and the team and improving and someone with that rare ability to be in the moment without looking back and without looking ahead.

If you can find that in the first round, even its another corner...take him

the thing about marlon was you found those characteristics sure - but he was also someone with unbelievable athletic skills too

and im just not sure that someone with that athleticism and iq is going to be available at 27 at any position...

maybe that's creed humphrey but that doesn't feel similar...
marshall's nowhere near as polished as marlon was albeit the rare athletic ability and size kind of match...

Teven Jenkins or Kwity Paye would sort of fit that bill for me if they fell (but i dont see them falling to 27)

jaelan phillips likewise if he fell but again im not sure he makes it down to 27

Greg Newsome II could be an option i suppose - he's got a chance to fall but I think he's the 2nd best corner in the class and he's very athletic and very scheme versatile - he's long, fluid, plays with a swagger, could do with being more physical in press but not shying away from contact in other areas and has elite explosion

at 27 it's just exceedingly unlikely that we can find marlon humphrey equivalents but my best guesses for who that could be if someone was falling would be one of those last 4 guys:

Teven Jenkins, Kwity Paye, Jaelan Phillips and Greg Newsome

If I'm honest, I don't see anyway that Jenkins makes it past the Steelers but there are many scenarios where i could see 1 of the other 3 being available at 27 - phillips has the concussion issues, paye has some rawness as a pass rusher and newsome might find himself not being taken in the top 3 corners which would make it possible he gets to 27

the wildcard for me would be if bateman somehow makes it to 27 as well which i think is unlikely - maybe not quite the supreme athlete that the other 4 guys are but he's still very athletic and is probably one of the 3 best route runners in the class (devonta smith, bateman and elijah moore for me)

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
the thing about marlon was you found those characteristics sure - but he was also someone with unbelievable athletic skills too

and im just not sure that someone with that athleticism and iq is going to be available at 27 at any position...

maybe that's creed humphrey but that doesn't feel similar...
marshall's nowhere near as polished as marlon was albeit the rare athletic ability and size kind of match...

Teven Jenkins or Kwity Paye would sort of fit that bill for me if they fell (but i dont see them falling to 27)

jaelan phillips likewise if he fell but again im not sure he makes it down to 27

Greg Newsome II could be an option i suppose - he's got a chance to fall but I think he's the 2nd best corner in the class and he's very athletic and very scheme versatile - he's long, fluid, plays with a swagger, could do with being more physical in press but not shying away from contact in other areas and has elite explosion

at 27 it's just exceedingly unlikely that we can find marlon humphrey equivalents but my best guesses for who that could be if someone was falling would be one of those last 4 guys:

Teven Jenkins, Kwity Paye, Jaelan Phillips and Greg Newsome

If I'm honest, I don't see anyway that Jenkins makes it past the Steelers but there are many scenarios where i could see 1 of the other 3 being available at 27 - phillips has the concussion issues, paye has some rawness as a pass rusher and newsome might find himself not being taken in the top 3 corners which would make it possible he gets to 27

the wildcard for me would be if bateman somehow makes it to 27 as well which i think is unlikely - maybe not quite the supreme athlete that the other 4 guys are but he's still very athletic and is probably one of the 3 best route runners in the class (devonta smith, bateman and elijah moore for me)
Been watching more of elijah moore and bateman.... idk which one id prefer if both available. Id rather have bateman because of his size for sure but i can see elijah moore taking over games. Elijah seems to have that work hard attitude also...

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Usually I don't like interior offensive linemen in the 1st unless it's a quenton nelson type of prospect. But i actually think he's the best pick we could make at 27. However i still think trading out of the 1st is our best option.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor

A look back at the 2016 draft class by UrinatingTree. It's good to look back sometimes to remind ourselves of the ones we thought would be studs but we're busts.