• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Flacco Tier 3 QB?

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
This particular post infuriated me! I am not a Flacco apologist by any means. In fact I've been pretty critical of him when warranted. However, he is a quality QB for sure. To rank Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Derek Carr, Eli Manning, Matt Stafford, etc. ahead of him is silly at best. I think for whatever reason Flacco's reputation or lack thereof is etched in stone. No matter what he does, it is going to be determined to be a fluke or his lucky day. How in the world is Baltimore sports so disrespected by the national media? I want to say I really don't care but I would be lying!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...ots-tom-brady-green-bay-packers-aaron-rodgers

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I agree @Ellicottraven, I believe he should be a tier 2 qb. Something that rarely gets brought up is that he is learning a new offensive system every year. I've lost count, but think he has had to learn 4 new systems offensive systems in a row. Let's hope this one works and Marty & Roman can stay and build something with Flacco.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I agree @Ellicottraven, I believe he should be a tier 2 qb. Something that rarely gets brought up is that he is learning a new offensive system every year. I've lost count, but think he has had to learn 4 new systems offensive systems in a row. Let's hope this one works and Marty & Roman can stay and build something with Flacco.
Let's hope that if we have success this season, we don't have another Kubiak - one and done situation.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's a declining QB and as he's never been top tier and probably bottom 2nd tier this doesnt shock me. The flacco era is at the beggining of the end. Next year will be the last year of flacco IMO. Eli Manning isnt great anymore either though. The rest? I agree with.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I like Carr and Stafford a lot, but Cam Newton is the,most overrated QB im the NFL. People thought SSS had nothing left because of his QB. Matt Ryan has been at best mediocre until he got surrounded with talent.

Also sorry Sami but Flacco is the QB for the next 3 years at least 100% no matter ehat happens,unless he retires. Even if he weren't criminaly underated, the cap determined that he isnt going anywhere.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I like Carr and Stafford a lot, but Cam Newton is the,most overrated QB im the NFL. People thought SSS had nothing left because of his QB. Matt Ryan has been at best mediocre until he got surrounded with talent.

Also sorry Sami but Flacco is the QB for the next 3 years at least 100% no matter ehat happens,unless he retires. Even if he weren't criminaly underated, the cap determined that he isnt going anywhere.
He will likely be on the team for those three years upcoming but it is possible that at some point he isn't "the" quarterback if he or the team continue to struggle.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I do feel that Flacco is underestimated when it comes to his ability. At least one or two names on the list is debatable regardless, no doubt. That being said, given that the media often goes mostly off of recent success, should it really come as a surprise that they're not choosing to rank him ahead of the reigning MVP, the MVP from the season before, and a reigning Pro-Bowler? It doesn't come as a remote shock in my eyes.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Flacco has this year and next year. he's got 2 seasons left. Basically it's the beggining of the end. He's not indespensible, talent wise, as a QB. People here need to take their heads out of their asses. Outside of 6 post season games in his career, he's been an average starting QB who won games because of a superior defence and solid running game.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Flacco has this year and next year. he's got 2 seasons left. Basically it's the beggining of the end. He's not indespensible, talent wise, as a QB. People here need to take their heads out of their asses. Outside of 6 post season games in his career, he's been an average starting QB who won games because of a superior defence and solid running game.

The reason i say you have your head up your ass amd not everyone else is that he has managed to look like an above average with below aberage talent around him. Early in his career he had a good RB and an aging receiver and an average TE as his top 3 weapons and the rest are bad players who bombed outafter leaving (Aiken will be doing that soon). In the past few years its been more of the same just without a good RB or TE and a worse OLine. No QB is taking scrubs to the SB.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I'd love to hear how different opinions of Flacco would be if he didn't play for our team... but that will never happen.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd like to point something out about flacco and his ''good'' season with Kubiak. Matt Schaub had 2-3 regular seasons under kubiak which were lightyears better than flacco's. Why didn't Flacco perform like prime schaub under Kubiak?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
look in the mirror

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'd like to point something out about flacco and his ''good'' season with Kubiak. Matt Schaub had 2-3 regular seasons under kubiak which were lightyears better than flacco's. Why didn't Flacco perform like prime schaub under Kubiak?
Lol, check out the talent that offense had around him. That and continuity with the same kubiak and kubiak / shanahan. It does make a huge difference.

redrum52

Hall of Famer

Better personnel and more than 1 year in the system.