• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The General TE Thread

Three eyed Raven

Practice Squad
Max could be our #1 TE if he gets in shape. I think our best 4-5 are Williams, Boyle, Pitta, Watson, and Gilmore. I wouldn't mind cutting Watson to create more cap space. Still need another C, T, and WR. I'm all for letting the young players develop but there needs to be balance. What if Yanda, Stanley, or Wallas was to get injured? Too many unproven /raw players is a reckless way to go into the season.

If we could bring in possibly Cruz, and/or Boldin, Mangold, and Dunlap we would be ready.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I wouldnt say i gave up on Maxx, i was just never a fan of him. I know most TEs dont come into the NFL and show what they are right away. Maybe i havent watched Maxx enough.

In your opinion what makes you think Maxx has higher upside than Gillmore?
Better hands, he didn't drop one pass in 2015. Gillmore has that mean streak, but Gillmore is much more athletic and more fluid. Both are a bit stiff in their routes, but Williams speed and body control give him the ability to create more big plays.

Last edited:

usmccharles

Practice Squad
Better hands, he didn't drop one pass in 2015. Gillmore has that mean streak, but Gillmore is much more athletic and more fluid. Both are a bit stiff in their routes, but Williams speed and body control give him the ability to create more big plays.
Maybe just because i didnt get to see him at all last year i cant really make the comparison fairly. It is also kind of hard to find clips of both, or i just suck at it. Hopefully we have one that separates themselves from the others but we also still have Pitta and Watson on the roster, which i think hinders their development.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
Max could be our #1 TE if he gets in shape. I think our best 4-5 are Williams, Boyle, Pitta, Watson, and Gilmore. I wouldn't mind cutting Watson to create more cap space. Still need another C, T, and WR. I'm all for letting the young players develop but there needs to be balance. What if Yanda, Stanley, or Wallas was to get injured? Too many unproven /raw players is a reckless way to go into the season.

If we could bring in possibly Cruz, and/or Boldin, Mangold, and Dunlap we would be ready.

Something doesn't sit well with me that we would target all of the top FA at their respective positions in mid-May. I could live with maybe 1 of them but there's a reason they're available and I'd rather we want for cuts to happen.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Maybe just because i didnt get to see him at all last year i cant really make the comparison fairly. It is also kind of hard to find clips of both, or i just suck at it. Hopefully we have one that separates themselves from the others but we also still have Pitta and Watson on the roster, which i think hinders their development.
They really don't have much time together, since Gillmore had some injury time in 2015 as well as last year. I'd agree that having Pitta and Watson would hinder their development this year but we had none of them in 2015 and I doubt we have Watson past tc.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
They really don't have much time together, since Gillmore had some injury time in 2015 as well as last year. I'd agree that having Pitta and Watson would hinder their development this year but we had none of them in 2015 and I doubt we have Watson past tc.

Are we holding off on cutting Watson (and Arrington) because we are waiting for them to pass a physical?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Are we holding off on cutting Watson (and Arrington) because we are waiting for them to pass a physical?
Arrington is another one that I doubt makes the team. I actually think we want to see what Watson looks like in tc. Not sure with Arrington

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Arrington is another one that I doubt makes the team. I actually think we want to see what Watson looks like in tc. Not sure with Arrington

You're probably right. I don't think there's any reason to keep Arrington with all of the other corners that we have. Honestly, Arrington was pretty ineffective when he was on the field anyway. Arrington was best when playing the slot and we already have our slot corner set with Tavon Young who should only get better after a solid rookie season.

I don't really see us keeping Watson either unless he takes a reduced salary. It doesn't hurt to take a look at him, but we have enough TEs already so Watson would really have to impress the coaches in TC to warrant keeping him at all.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
You're probably right. I don't think there's any reason to keep Arrington with all of the other corners that we have. Honestly, Arrington was pretty ineffective when he was on the field anyway. Arrington was best when playing the slot and we already have our slot corner set with Tavon Young who should only get better after a solid rookie season.

I don't really see us keeping Watson either unless he takes a reduced salary. It doesn't hurt to take a look at him, but we have enough TEs already so Watson would really have to impress the coaches in TC to warrant keeping him at all.
Absolutely agree that Arrington will be cut and most likely Watson as well. However, we can't use the reasoning that we have enough TEs. We all saw what happened last year and if we feel that Watson still can be a weapon for us, then I could see us keeping him.
[doublepost=1495116135,1495115737][/doublepost]@usmccharles Watsons effort chasing down Champ Bailey is something that many players don't have. Most would have given up on ever catching Him.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Absolutely agree that Arrington will be cut and most likely Watson as well. However, we can't use the reasoning that we have enough TEs. We all saw what happened last year and if we feel that Watson still can be a weapon for us, then I could see us keeping him.
[doublepost=1495116135,1495115737][/doublepost]@usmccharles Watsons effort chasing down Champ Bailey is something that many players don't have. Most would have given up on ever catching Him.

The biggest issue I would have with keeping Watson is his salary. He's due $3 mil next year which is more than Maxx, Crockett, and Boyle's salaries combined. If he can take a pay-cut then, absolutely, I can see us keeping him. If he doesn't? $3 mil is a lot to pay for an aging TE who may or may not have much left in the tank. Unless Watson shows the coaches that he's that much better than the other TEs that we currently have then I just don't see that happening.

Link to our cap numbers for next season if anyone wants to check them out:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/cap/

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The biggest issue I would have with keeping Watson is his salary. He's due $3 mil next year which is more than Maxx, Crockett, and Boyle's salaries combined. If he can take a pay-cut then, absolutely, I can see us keeping him. If he doesn't? $3 mil is a lot to pay for an aging TE who may or may not have much left in the tank. Unless Watson shows the coaches that he's that much better than the other TEs that we currently have then I just don't see that happening.

Link to our cap numbers for next season if anyone wants to check them out:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/cap/
I agree, salary is an issue.

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well just got a notification Pitta went down with another Hip situation. And they will be evaluating him further.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Well just got a notification Pitta went down with another Hip situation. And they will be evaluating him further.
It could be his career if it's serious. I think 3 hip injuries is 1 too many to come back from.

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
It could be his career if it's serious. I think 3 hip injuries is 1 too many to come back from.

It's amazing he was able to return after the first one. I really assumed he was done with the second.

If this third one is as bad as the previous two then he needs to retire and consider quality of life after football.
Being able to move around without heavy dosages of pain medications daily.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's amazing he was able to return after the first one. I really assumed he was done with the second.

If this third one is as bad as the previous two then he needs to retire and consider quality of life after football.
Being able to move around without heavy dosages of pain medications daily.

Honestly, he should probably retire even if the injury isn't as bad as the previous ones. It was another non-contact injury so there's just something not right with his hip. At this point, he needs to realize that playing football isn't a very good option for him anymore.

This makes the Watson situation more interesting. I thought we were going to end up cutting him eventually, but now we might be forced to keep him regardless of how he looks coming off the achilles tear. I definitely wouldn't count on our other TEs (or anyone on the team TBH) to stay healthy at the rate we're going right now.