• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The General TE Thread

usmccharles

Practice Squad
Not that I wish injury on anyone, but maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Taking away his biggest safety blanket, might be able to get other TEs involved and let them develop. I was never a fan of keeping him

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not that I wish injury on anyone, but maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Taking away his biggest safety blanket, might be able to get other TEs involved and let them develop. I was never a fan of keeping him

I thought the same thing and definitely agree!

Unfortunately, for Dennis but this gives ALL the other TE's not named Pitta (i.e. Maxx Williams, Crockett Gillmore and Nick Boyle) an opportunity for Joe to FINALLY gain some type of chemistry, trust and confidence with and in them and to get them more involved in the offense in order to move the chains. Especially, in that red zone!

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Blessing in disguise. I have to agree. Maxx might have his time to shine now.. He's easily the most talented TE and has the best hands of the group. I still don't know why Trestman didn't use him as a passcatcher.

We have a lot of "ifs" but I'm more confident in the recieving corps than most do.

FIX THE DAMN LINE.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I had the same conversation with truth. I didn't want Pitta to have an injury, but now Flacco won't rely on him and allow our receivers and other te to make a play.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Blessing in disguise. I have to agree. Maxx might have his time to shine now.. He's easily the most talented TE and has the best hands of the group. I still don't know why Trestman didn't use him as a passcatcher.

We have a lot of "ifs" but I'm more confident in the recieving corps than most do.

FIX THE DAMN LINE.

I'm confident in our TE core as well, especially Gillmore. That cat is a beast when he gets rolling.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I definitely believe Maxx is going to step up and show the fans why we drafted him in the 2nd round and bypassed Howard.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I do have to wonder... why was maxx unused as a receiver before his injury?

And if conditioning, health, and weight has been a big problem for him, how can we expect big things from him when he's been rehabbing this whole time?

I was a huge fan of his, but I'm not so sure I feel great about him this year

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I was a big pre-draft Maxx Williams proponent. Even in year one I was surprised at how little he was utilized in the passing game.
There were at least two games where he played significant snaps and was targeted not once.

I will say however that if he comes in with a gut for the third straight year I will really question what it is he is up to.
Really should be no excuse for a twenty two year old professional athlete at tight end not to be in top shape and condition.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I do have to wonder... why was maxx unused as a receiver before his injury?

And if conditioning, health, and weight has been a big problem for him, how can we expect big things from him when he's been rehabbing this whole time?

I was a huge fan of his, but I'm not so sure I feel great about him this year
Because Marc Trestman is a fool. He brings maxx in as a blocker, where he performed probably the best of any of our TEs last season. But then sends Gillmore, who struggled to get seperation out on several routes over the middle. Flacco does a quick strike and he drops it. Those contested situations are what maxx excelled in during his collegiate years.

I have 0 doubts in my mind that if he had not been stashed on IR when we fired Marc, we would have used him more as a receiver.

I still think based off of his improved blocking abilities that he's going to be a starter next year, or at the very least get significant playing time

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Because Marc Trestman is a fool. He brings maxx in as a blocker, where he performed probably the best of any of our TEs last season. But then sends Gillmore, who struggled to get seperation out on several routes over the middle. Flacco does a quick strike and he drops it. Those contested situations are what maxx excelled in during his collegiate years.

I have 0 doubts in my mind that if he had not been stashed on IR when we fired Marc, we would have used him more as a receiver.

I still think based off of his improved blocking abilities that he's going to be a starter next year, or at the very least get significant playing time

Indeed. The more I think about it, the happier I am he's gone. That debacle against WSH should've been the last straw.

usmccharles

Practice Squad
I am a huge fan of Gillmore. Ever since watching him drag those Raiders into the endzone, i have been dying to see him get more time and develop. Hopefully he makes the best of his chance.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I know he's talented, his hands and awareness are just absurd, some of the catches he made in college were really jaw dropping. But his lack of burst and top end speed, paired with his conditioning problems and the fact that he's been out of football for a year now are all really concerning. I'm not sure he would've been used over Pitta last year even with Marty calling plays.

I'm just hoping he comes to camp in great shape and is able to move well and sharpen his cuts and improve his verticals, otherwise he'll be depending on perfectly placed balls and shielding defenders. His game could be reminiscent of Antonio gates the way he uses that dense powerful body, but I worry that he's more of a poor mans slower version of heath miller, and a slower Heath miller could've turned out very average