• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The General TE Thread

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
Even before Waller was transitioned from WR to TE, I've thought he's someone who could be a monster if utilized correctly. What do you think Marty and Roman do to maximize Waller and maximize his mismatch/upside?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Even before Waller was transitioned from WR to TE, I've thought he's someone who could be a monster if utilized correctly. What do you think Marty and Roman do to maximize Waller and maximize his mismatch/upside?
Waller still needs to learn SOMETHING about running routes, he just can't get open, and he isn't a good enough catcher to trust him in 50/50 situations. Until he learns to use that speed to get just a step on defenders then I think he's just gonna be an occasionally targeted guy

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Waller still needs to learn SOMETHING about running routes, he just can't get open, and he isn't a good enough catcher to trust him in 50/50 situations. Until he learns to use that speed to get just a step on defenders then I think he's just gonna be an occasionally targeted guy
He was actually getting open a decent amount of time, he had the 2TDs on a slant, was wide open on Flacco's INT vs Eagles... Feels like the guy has a chance if he continues to grow.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
so it looks like maxx might not even be ready for the start of training camp which is disappointing - perriman has always taken most of our ire as a fanbase for being unfortunate with injuries but maxx williams has sneakily been even less available during the season - that 2015 draft class isnt half having problems with availability at times:

perriman missed his entire rookie season and first 2 years of training camp
williams missed his entire sophomore year and didnt come on until after flacco was injured in his rookie season as well as missing this year's entire off season program so far
davis missed his entire sophomore year with an injury as well as seeming exhausted towards the end of his rookie year (kind of understandable)
zadarius smith has been around but has been a healthy scratch (i guess that's more lack of development than lack of availability)
buck allen has an almost identical story to zadarius
tray walker died in tragic circumstances
nick boyle has been suspended twice for a total of 16 games in his first 2 years
robert myers didnt make the initial 53
darren waller missed 4 games due to a suspension

the only two players on that list who were available the whole time were zadarius and buck - both of whom might find themselves superfluous come cut time - what's crazy is we still conceivably might get significant contributions from this draft class this year if they are all available... perriman is likely to start, with pitta's injury maxx would surely get snaps if he can show anything, likewise boyle who might get some of juice's work too, and darren waller - especially if he continues to improve in the redzone like he did towards the end of last year, davis also has a chance to win some of timmy jernigan's snaps

Last edited:

The Raven

Veteran
I swear Crockett gets hurt so much and I just don't understand why. I wonder if he could figure into the right tackle equation. He's always said he's prefer the line (I think I'm kidding about this). Maxx could be top five if he applied himself. Boyle is a fullback that's three inches too tall. Waller? Waller?

Watson's going to start by default but who knows if the old man can still play after the injury.

Let's just put six offensive linemen out there and play without a TE. We'd be better off. Might actually be half-serious about that.

usmccharles

Practice Squad
How hard is it for Waller to just learn a fade or a slant in the redzone? I swear if guys like SSr had his size...

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I still feel like Maxx is gonna be like Jimmy smith year three. Everyone is doubting him save for a select few. As stated previously, as shown last season he's clearly the best blocking TE on the team, which means he's very likely to get playing time.

I mean, lets me break down everyone

Crockett Gillmore- a fan favorite but is very overrated. Has soft hands, but sucks going up for contested catches. Have to him open to be effective. Good after the catch because he's hard to bring down, bad at getting separation. Good, but not great blocker. Made of glass. Am happy he's here but he's not the mega stud some make him out to be. Will make the team, but be placed on the IR at some point.

Benjamin Watson- if he's the Ben Watson of the old, he's a reliable target and a great locker room presence. Not the best blocker though so I wouldn't be surprised if he was more of a move TE. He will be used and have his role, but I don't think he's the starter when the season ends. Will make the team.

Maxx Williams- best hands of the bunch, excels with contested catches, best blocker of the bunch, supremely talented. Even if he isn't in tip top shape like so many expect (thanks to one particular poster), he still flashed very good ability his rookie year, and suffered from an idiot OC who only used him as a blocker. I fully expect him to pull a Jimmy Smith. As in, flashes potential first year, shows new skills in second year but gets hurt, third year everyone thinks he's a lost cause but he turns out to be above average. Of course I could be wrong but I have a very good feeling about him. Will make the team.

Nick boyle- honesty I trust him more than any TE on the list not named Watson. Good hands, good blocker, solid route runner. Total head case but he's got all the traits of a good TE #2. Valuable depth. Will make the team.

Darren Waller- why does everyone love him. He didn't show anything his rookie year, and didn't do much of anything his second year. He's rawer than the blue rare steak, can't block, has so-so hands. People are saying he's a better fit. Sure, his physical gifts are immense but I highly doubt he works out. won't make the team

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think harbaugh is being dishonest about maxx and the surgery. I don't think they are happy with how his knee is progressing.