• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The General TE Thread

Tiz

Practice Squad
I love how everyone is underestimating Maxx here. He would have likely produced last season had we not put him on IR(hell, doctors even said he could have played through it). I know @rmcjacket would have been like "it's never the coaches fault". Marc Trestman just didn't know how to use him at all.

Even if he isn't ripped, if he's in good shape(and after a few months in training camp he will probably be ala what Suggs usually does) then he should be a threat. He's the most talented TE on the roster.
There's a difference between underrating maxx and expecting big things from others on the roster

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I love how everyone is underestimating Maxx here. He would have likely produced last season had we not put him on IR(hell, doctors even said he could have played through it). I know @rmcjacket would have been like "it's never the coaches fault". Marc Trestman just didn't know how to use him at all.

Even if he isn't ripped, if he's in good shape(and after a few months in training camp he will probably be ala what Suggs usually does) then he should be a threat. He's the most talented TE on the roster.
I think it just shows the exact opposite. He wasn't a factor before the injury (which wasn't a big one) so they put him on phantom IR to create space because he wasn't worthy of his spot. I hope I'm wrong but throughout the offseason last year there was no sign pointing to him progressing and I think him ending on the IR is just a reflection of that.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I think it just shows the exact opposite. He wasn't a factor before the injury (which wasn't a big one) so they put him on phantom IR to create space because he wasn't worthy of his spot. I hope I'm wrong but throughout the offseason last year there was no sign pointing to him progressing and I think him ending on the IR is just a reflection of that.
He was actually hurt, but he probably didn't need to go on IR. I think part of it was not wanting to make his injury worse.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
He was actually hurt, but he probably didn't need to go on IR. I think part of it was not wanting to make his injury worse.

We're talking about max here right? That's not a good sign for our best receiving TE. Max is gifted but when is he going to realize he isn't playing at college. And he can't coast on natural skill. He is playing with bigger and meaner players

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

I think we were just being careful with him since we have a plethora of other TEs on the roster. He should be given every opportunity to get more playing time this year and, hopefully, he can finally live up to his potential.

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
I think we were just being careful with him since we have a plethora of other TEs on the roster. He should be given every opportunity to get more playing time this year and, hopefully, he can finally live up to his potential.

If he can get close to playing to his potential then we will have a big weapon on our hands.

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
Absolutely! If he can step up this year then I think our offense will be fine even if we don't add anyone at WR.

Especially if Perriman does the same. The top of that draft will have been rescued.

Everytime I see you post I think it's something I posted and forgot about because of the Ray Lewis picture, it was the one I had on the old board:lol:.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Especially if Perriman does the same. The top of that draft will have been rescued.

Everytime I see you post I think it's something I posted and forgot about because of the Ray Lewis picture, it was the one I had on the old board:lol:.

Lol, I literally went down the list when I was searching for Ray Lewis pictures so that I could try to get a "rarer" pic (I posted on the old board sparingly and can't remember the one I used to have lol).

I'm really pulling for Perriman to finally put it all together. He's made some highlight plays already, but he just needs to keep improving his routes and stop dropping the "easy" passes. If Maxx AND Perriman get it going then our offense will be in great shape moving forward.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This couldn't be further from the truth. I agree with everyone who has said, they just didn't want the injury to get worse. He was absolutely heart. That being said, in 2015 he was starting to come on at the end of the season with Ryan Mallett as qb. He had 8 catches on 15 targets, with Mallett at the helm. He has had very little time with Flacco. TE is a very difficult position to adjust to in the pros. Year two or three is when they start to come on. I think this is the year for Maxx if he can stay healthy.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
For anyone who wasn't already aware, Maxx actually set team records as a rookie TE in 2015:

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2015/12/29/10677068/maxx-williams-sets-new-rookie-record

Taken from the article (which was posted with one game remaining in the 2015 season)
Williams currently has 26 receptions for 215 yards and one touchdown. That's 10 more catches and fourteen more yards than Heap had as a rookie in 2001 with one more game to play in 2015. Williams has been a reliable receiver, as he has not dropped a single pass this season and he has consistently received high marks from PFF for his blocking. Williams has been rated as one of the best tight ends in the NFL by PFF.

He has the talent; he just needs to stay healthy and get the playing time which I think we should see this season.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm really looking forward to see how Greg Roman maximizes (no pun intended) Maxx's skill set, along with the rest of our TEs. It will be interesting to see how he uses them as a group and individually.

If Maxx comes through and Perriman steps up, which I believe is going to happen, then the first two rounds are looking pretty good. Hopefully Carl Davis can become a decent part of the rotation as well.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I really want Gillmore to stay healthy, he reminds me of Kelce. I just dont see the love for Maxx.
He was coming on strong as a rookie in a traditional difficult position to adapt to in the pros. Had better numbers than any other Ravens rookie te.

I could say why would you give up on him so soon since he was injured all last year and was also very young his rookie year.

I like Gillmore as a player when he is healthy also but his upside is limited.

usmccharles

Practice Squad
He was coming on strong as a rookie in a traditional difficult position to adapt to in the pros. Had better numbers than any other Ravens rookie te.

I could say why would you give up on him so soon since he was injured all last year and was also very young his rookie year.

I like Gillmore as a player when he is healthy also but his upside is limited.
I wouldnt say i gave up on Maxx, i was just never a fan of him. I know most TEs dont come into the NFL and show what they are right away. Maybe i havent watched Maxx enough.

In your opinion what makes you think Maxx has higher upside than Gillmore?

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Speaking of Greg Roman, was he the OC that Jon Gruden was raving about during one MNF game when he saying how many different formations Roman could use from one set or whatever?

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I wouldnt say i gave up on Maxx, i was just never a fan of him. I know most TEs dont come into the NFL and show what they are right away. Maybe i havent watched Maxx enough.

In your opinion what makes you think Maxx has higher upside than Gillmore?

A more athletic faster TE. Silky smooth and sudden in routes. He is actually better than he has fronted. He is really gifted. However there is a B side. He is lazy. Bad work and training/practice habits. And even worse eating habits. His own acknowledgement his diet is total garbage. His training and practice habits actually got a little better. He came in stronger last year. But he was still fleshy. That fleshy physique is definitely slowing him down. Don't get me wrong he is fluid quick and sudden in routes. But he could be really special if he cleaned his act up.

If he worked as hard as Gronk he could be a pro bowler. It's amazing he is as fluid and quick as he is being partially outa shape. He showed up at his first mandatory camp I believe it was and really pissed some positional coaches off. He showed up completely outa shape, very fleshy with absolutely garbage practice and eating habits. He was being taken down tackled decisively by camp fodder cornerbacks.

The dude is seriously frustrating to coaches. To have all that natural skill and to lazy to put it all together. Showing up fleshy with bad habits. He got a little stronger but yet fleshy. I think it was his combine 40 pics he looked like a flat out couch potato. Not a 20 yr old borderline first rounder. He ran a 4.7 while out of shape. If he worked like Gronk he could be a 4.58-4.62 player maybe better. He has the skills but may not be more than an average TE.

usmccharles

Practice Squad
A more athletic faster TE. Silky smooth and sudden in routes. He is actually better than he has fronted. He is really gifted. However there is a B side. He is lazy. Bad work and training/practice habits. And even worse eating habits. His own acknowledgement his diet is total garbage. His training and practice habits actually got a little better. He came in stronger last year. But he was still fleshy. That fleshy physique is definitely slowing him down. Don't get me wrong he is fluid quick and sudden in routes. But he could be really special if he cleaned his act up.

If he worked as hard as Gronk he could be a pro bowler. It's amazing he is as fluid and quick as he is being partially outa shape. He showed up at his first mandatory camp I believe it was and really pissed some positional coaches off. He showed up completely outa shape, very fleshy with absolutely garbage practice and eating habits. He was being taken down tackled decisively by camp fodder cornerbacks.

The dude is seriously frustrating to coaches. To have all that natural skill and to lazy to put it all together. Showing up fleshy with bad habits. He got a little stronger but yet fleshy. I think it was his combine 40 pics he looked like a flat out couch potato. Not a 20 yr old borderline first rounder. He ran a 4.7 while out of shape. If he worked like Gronk he could be a 4.58-4.62 player maybe better. He has the skills but may not be more than an average TE.

I would take a guy with less skill but a better work ethic any day of the week. That being said, i dont know if Gillmore has a better or worse one. Or anything about his training habits.

Fleshy..... another screen name you could of went with lol

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I would take a guy with less skill but a better work ethic any day of the week. That being said, i dont know if Gillmore has a better or worse one. Or anything about his training habits.

Fleshy..... another screen name you could of went with lol

I prefer a player with talent that works hard. Max flicking on the light could be key to the offense. He could be a weapon the caliber of a top #2 WR option if he begins to work at his craft.

If he begins to work and practice and one of the young WRs step up as well as one of the rookie O-lineman offense will be in business. Max is gifted if he gets it together. And Eluemunor is one of my favorites in the draft. Max and Eluemunor have savvy vets to learn from in Yanda/Watson

Maxx's potential is worthless to us unless he can unlock it and stay on the field, last year he looked softer around the midsection than his rookie year. He really didn't look like a guy with a year in the Ravens weight room under his belt.

I don't want to be a Debbie downer but I'm not seeing any reason to feel positive about our TE corps based on what we've experienced over the last two seasons.