• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

RB Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
My entire point was that you can draft RBs on day 2 and day 3 and get the same production as a RB from round 1. Happens all the time. Which is why RBs have become devalued.

I’ve gotten carried away and the rest of what I said can be argued. But that, can not.
It applies to literally every position

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
For me, the reason I'm not a big fan of drafting RB's high in the first round is the usage of them in an NFL scheme. In many cases teams are rotating backs by committee. Another reason is the lifespan of a running back is lower than any other position.

Now, if a team is going to draft a running back and make him a feature three down back, then I have no issues with drafting a running back because he will also touch the ball more than any other position outside of your quarterback.

I'm a fan of Derrius Guice, but he hasn't been used much in the passing game at LSU and if we don't think he can be used in the passing game, then we should be looking for a back we are more comfortable playing our 3rd down back role, instead of using our 16th pick on a player we feel will be playing 1st and 2nd downs.

Last edited:

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
For me, the reason I'm not a big fan of drafting RB's high in the first round is the usage of them in an NFL scheme. In many cases teams are rotating backs with a committee. Another reason is the lifespan of a running back is lower than any other position.

Now, if a team is going to draft a running back and make him a feature three down back, then I have no issues with drafting a running back because he will also touch the ball more than any other position outside of your quarterback.

I'm a fan of Derrius Guice, but he hasn't been used much in the passing game at LSU and if we don't think he can be used in the passing game, then we should be looking for a back we are more comfortable playing our 3rd down back role, instead of using our 16th pick on a player we feel will be playing 1st and 2nd downs.
How i feel about about olinemen sometimes

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've decided to start wrapping my head around and trying to embrace a real possibility we might draft Guice.
If we do, I hope we go all in On the Oline. I feel very unsettled about going into the season with Skura at center(no matter who we take at sixteen).

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've decided to start wrapping my head around and trying to embrace a real possibility we might draft Guice.
If we do, I hope we go all in On the Oline. I feel very unsettled about going into the season with Skura at center(no matter who we take at sixteen).
I agree. If we grab Guice then we need to heavily focus on the line. If we're going to take a top tier runner, then build the offence around the run and play action.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
He has great hands. actually runs routes ...isn't limited to dump offs and screens only. Very good in pass protection for a smallish guy as well.
Ya i just watched a few of his games. 2016 kentucky, lsu, and Lousiana. Hes got elite cutting ability and is much stronger than hes given credit for. His timed speed doesnt match his game speed but he makes explosive cuts and has a nice little burst. His routes are good, i like how he sets up his cuts and is violent in his breaks giving him seperation. From what ive seen hes completely underrated and i honestly prefer him to Wadley because i think his frame will hold up better.

The bad news is that the Patriots had a lengthy meeting with him and he does seem like a perfect fit for them considering they just lost Deon Lewis

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
More like a random thought, but this is about a RB prospect: unless they go defense, I think there's a decent possibility that Guice could be a Steeler.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Honestly, if a QB they like doesn't fall to them, it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Cards to try to create a two head monster in the backfield. Guice as the bellcow running back and with Johnson subbing in. The idea of Johnson being fresh as Guice wears down the defense is actually pretty scary. And with less wear and tear, Johnson will last longer in the NFL.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm guessing the Ravens view Guice, along with Ridley and Barkley as one of the top three offensive playmakers in the draft.
I'm positive we need playmakers. If Ridley is gone, and unless someone unanticipated falls to us, The Ravens will take Guice.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don’t think guice gets past the lions.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I'm guessing the Ravens view Guice, along with Ridley and Barkley as one of the top three offensive playmakers in the draft.
I'm positive we need playmakers. If Ridley is gone, and unless someone unanticipated falls to us, The Ravens will take Guice.
I'd rather take the best defensive guy available in that case.