• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

RB Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Honestly, if a QB they like doesn't fall to them, it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Cards to try to create a two head monster in the backfield. Guice as the bellcow running back and with Johnson subbing in. The idea of Johnson being fresh as Guice wears down the defense is actually pretty scary. And with less wear and tear, Johnson will last longer in the NFL.

No offence but why would the cardinals want to take their best player off the field when he works on all 3 downs - he’s the best rb in the league and a bellcow already

Reactions: cdp

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
No offence but why would the cardinals want to take their best player off the field when he works on all 3 downs - he’s the best rb in the league and a bellcow already
Because he's already gotten one season ending injury and if they run him into the ground he's likely to end up with a short career.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
David Johnson is the best running back in the NFL and I don't think it is even close. Cardinals would be dumb to take a running back in the first. Injuries happen in the NFL. I don't think there is a player in the NFL that has never been injured. I think people think he fell off the face of the Earth. He was that running back I called back when he was drafted that he should be drafted in the 1st round. I can't believe how many scouts missed on him until round 3. He has everything and can do everything you want him to. I don't care that he was from a smaller college and didn't play against higher competition. Gurley and Bell are also great, but if I had to start a franchise today and had to pick one running back I would take David Johnson hands down. He may even be my first offensive pick in the entire league outside of a quarterback.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm guessing the Ravens view Guice, along with Ridley and Barkley as one of the top three offensive playmakers in the draft.
I'm positive we need playmakers. If Ridley is gone, and unless someone unanticipated falls to us, The Ravens will take Guice.
L......S......U

rossihunter2

Staff Member
David Johnson is the best running back in the NFL and I don't think it is even close. Cardinals would be dumb to take a running back in the first. Injuries happen in the NFL. I don't think there is a player in the NFL that has never been injured. I think people think he fell off the face of the Earth. He was that running back I called back when he was drafted that he should be drafted in the 1st round. I can't believe how many scouts missed on him until round 3. He has everything and can do everything you want him to. I don't care that he was from a smaller college and didn't play against higher competition. Gurley and Bell are also great, but if I had to start a franchise today and had to pick one running back I would take David Johnson hands down. He may even be my first offensive pick in the entire league outside of a quarterback.

id struggle to pick between gurley and johnson but yeah its quite clearly one of those 2 - in 2016 Johnson was the biggest weapon in the league, in 2017 Gurley was the biggest weapon in the league...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That'd be nasty though, but at the same time, I could see them going after Ridley too since Jordy is gone.

yeah the packers are a team i struggle to mock albeit the fact that they traded away randall and they have adams and graham and cobb all in the building at receiver i reckon they probably go db at 14 (whichever is highest left on their board out of denzel ward, derwin james, minkah fitzpatrick and the next cb)

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
yeah the packers are a team i struggle to mock albeit the fact that they traded away randall and they have adams and graham and cobb all in the building at receiver i reckon they probably go db at 14 (whichever is highest left on their board out of denzel ward, derwin james, minkah fitzpatrick and the next cb)
But isn't Fitzpatrick basically considered a consensus top 10 pick? Either way, I could see Derwin as well (I doubt that he falls to us). By the way, are there any CBs that got a first-round projection? Lol, it seems like it's the least talked position this draft.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
But isn't Fitzpatrick basically considered a consensus top 10 pick? Either way, I could see Derwin as well (I doubt that he falls to us). By the way, are there any CBs that got a first-round projection? Lol, it seems like it's the least talked position this draft.

its only least talked about here because we got one last year but its actually a very deep position group this year...
denzel ward is probably the clearcut top cb (if you dont consider fitzpatrick a cb), and then i would have said josh jackson but he had a poor combine, carlton davis might sneak in, jaire alexander probably has a first round grade from some teams, likewise isaiah oliver, mike hughes could sneak in depending on a team's preferences

there's no obvious lattimores or humphreys or conleys or adoree jacksons etc. in this draft with the physique of an outside corner, the speed to man that position and also the tape and production to back them up - there's a lot of projecting/single flaws in quite a few prospects but its an overall good deep class

Sooky

Pro Bowler
id struggle to pick between gurley and johnson but yeah its quite clearly one of those 2 - in 2016 Johnson was the biggest weapon in the league, in 2017 Gurley was the biggest weapon in the league...
Gurley is probably #2 but Johnson has bigger play ability and can be used more as a wide receiver. He has that homerun instinct even as a rookie and the #3 on the depth chart to start out he still was a touchdown magnet. The NFL should start to worry that he will be 100% at the start of this season with a year rest. He will light up the league once again.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Gurley is probably #2 but Johnson has bigger play ability and can be used more as a wide receiver. He has that homerun instinct even as a rookie and the #3 on the depth chart to start out he still was a touchdown magnet. The NFL should start to worry that he will be 100% at the start of this season with a year rest. He will light up the league once again.

i mean i disagree about the bigger player ability - gurley is a big play machine and a td machine - johnson is a better route runner but gurley's probably a better threat between the tackles...

i mean its a pointless debate anyway because they are quite clearly 1a and 1b in the league at rb and probably at non-qb offence too (albeit you should probably throw antonio brown into the mix too)

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean i disagree about the bigger player ability - gurley is a big play machine and a td machine - johnson is a better route runner but gurley's probably a better threat between the tackles...

i mean its a pointless debate anyway because they are quite clearly 1a and 1b in the league at rb and probably at non-qb offence too (albeit you should probably throw antonio brown into the mix too)
I’d take Julio and Hopkins over Brown..

I also disagree that they are “quite clearly” 1a and 1b. There are at least a couple of other guys that are in the conversation.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’d take Julio and Hopkins over Brown..

I also disagree that they are “quite clearly” 1a and 1b. There are at least a couple of other guys that are in the conversation.

I think Brown cleared up any competition with Julio and Hopkins last year - he's on an historic path of his own-making that is essentially unmatched - tbh if it weren't for anti-steelers bias id probably have considered him the best in the league the year before too (and maybe the year before that too)

Julio comes close but he's also too often taken out of a game

the only team that has ever consistently taken antonio brown out of a game is the ravens - and yet he still roasted us last year

and as good as hopkins is he's nowhere near that discussion - you could make an argument that odell deserves to be talked about in that discussion but not hopkins

and as to the 1a 1b thing - im assuming you're talking about lev bell and zeke...
leveon i think is a fair argument but zeke is too easily corralled when his qb play is off and he doesnt offer the same as the other 3 in the passing game

so maybe i should have said 1a 1b 1c with gurley, johnson and bell but i dont see who else should really be in that conversation...

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think Brown cleared up any competition with Julio and Hopkins last year - he's on an historic path of his own-making that is essentially unmatched - tbh if it weren't for anti-steelers bias id probably have considered him the best in the league the year before too (and maybe the year before that too)

Julio comes close but he's also too often taken out of a game

the only team that has ever consistently taken antonio brown out of a game is the ravens - and yet he still roasted us last year

and as good as hopkins is he's nowhere near that discussion - you could make an argument that odell deserves to be talked about in that discussion but not hopkins

and as to the 1a 1b thing - im assuming you're talking about lev bell and zeke...
leveon i think is a fair argument but zeke is too easily corralled when his qb play is off and he doesnt offer the same as the other 3 in the passing game

so maybe i should have said 1a 1b 1c with gurley, johnson and bell but i dont see who else should really be in that conversation...
Hopkins nowhere near the discussion? You’re insane. Did you see what he did when he actually had a QB last year...

Odell over Hopkins? Are you on RayRays drugs?

Also, just because the Falcons don’t use Julio like they should doesn’t mean he’s not the best.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Hopkins nowhere near the discussion? You’re insane. Did you see what he did when he actually had a QB last year...

Also, just because the Falcons don’t use Julio like they should doesn’t mean he’s not the best.

im not saying hopkins isnt great - im just saying antonio brown is in a different class - i argued for julio being the best last year but i cant do it anymore

JO_75

Hall of Famer

If I may chime in............. Odell can only catch using Madden like one handed catches. Hopkins is just another Torrey drawing DPI everywhere >:D

On a serious note, Could we take Guice in order to prevent the Steelers from getting him? Not saying the Steelers wouldn't take Michel or another RB but they met with Guice as well potentially looking at him being Bell's replacement a year from now unless they get a trade offer they can't resist and a team willing to pay Bell way more than he is worth.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
If I may chime in............. Odell can only catch using Madden like one handed catches. Hopkins is just another Torrey drawing DPI everywhere >:D

On a serious note, Could we take Guice in order to prevent the Steelers from getting him? Not saying the Steelers wouldn't take Michel or another RB but they met with Guice as well potentially looking at him being Bell's replacement a year from now unless they get a trade offer they can't resist and a team willing to pay Bell way more than he is worth.
Or the Patriots for that matter. Wouldnt want him to go to either.