• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The WR Thread

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Ok, we have the RB thread off and running, how about we talk about the WR from this draft as well?
There doesn't seem to be an blue chip prospect in this bunch, but a good amount of guys that should warrant selections in the 20/40 range. This looks like a deep class, so let's talk about the players you like.

I'm a fan of Auden Tate from FSU, he's a big bodied, strong pass catcher that really has the ability to box out defenders and win 50/50 balls, something we lack right now.
Two WR that are also growing on me are Ridley and Deon Cain. Ridley is a weird case because his highlights are meh compared to the tape. His highlights scream "pure deep threat", but when you watch him closely you see an extremely explosive first step off the snap that puts the DB on his heels, and very smooth routes.
Cain is the next big thing from the Clemson WR house, he's got nice size, quick feet and a very matured style that I didn't expect. His releases are beautiful and he runs good routes. Particularly his knowledge of leverage is impressive. He has also shown the knack for making impressive catches andclimbing the ladder.

Throw in your guys!

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I haven't been overly impressed by any wr in this class aside from Ridley. Honestly this class makes me yawn, what I've watched of the first round hype guys has turned me off from watching more WRs this year. Of all the non-Ridley prospects so far I'd say deon Cain is my favorite. Nothing about Christian Kirk really jumped off the tape for me, simmie cobbs had some huge drops in one game and turned me off from watching him more.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think you're exactly right that there's loads of guys all bunched together in that 2nd round category at the moment - hopefully a couple will separate from the bunch but I'm not hopeful - there's more wrs at this point that I'd take in the first 2 days over last year but I'm not sure any are even close to locked in first rounders let alone top 10 picks like the 3 from this year

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think you're exactly right that there's loads of guys all bunched together in that 2nd round category at the moment - hopefully a couple will separate from the bunch but I'm not hopeful - there's more wrs at this point that I'd take in the first 2 days over last year but I'm not sure any are even close to locked in first rounders let alone top 10 picks like the 3 from this year
ill put it this way...

stefon diggs had better tape than any wr in this class not named ridley, and he went in the 5th, if not for injuries he probably goes in the third. a shit ton of 2nd round guys from years past had tape that blow these guys out of the water, christian kirk looks like a 4th round pick compared to what tyler boyd, allen robinson, jordan matthews, and marqise lee looked like as prospects.

not to say kirk looks like a 4th rounder, just by comparison these guys went in the second round but imo had better tape than kirk.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I keep on being impressed by Dante Pettis, he is sooooo smooth and his routes are just deadly.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Cbs did a way too early mock draft and had us picking at 31, which is awesom lol (even if the steelers were picking at 32). But what i was most surprised is the selection and reasoning...
"Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis. Baltimore is an organization that prioritizes over-achieving players with high character. That's Miller, a former walk-on at Memphis. Last season, he had 95 receptions 1,314 yards, and 14 touchdowns. He's averaging 19 yards per grab thus far in 2017."

Sounds like they finally understand what we look for. Also ironic how the sloted Miller here. Everyones been going nuts about him simce he blew up vs UCLA. Cant blame em. Kid can play, tough competitor plays like a raven to me and watching the tape I wouldnt say late 1st round is too early for him. Kid has the most reliable hands ive seen in this class

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
What do you think of Courtland Sutton?
Ehhhh....sloppy in his routes. Not a natural hands catcher. Lets the ball into his chest too often. Doesnt face the best competition. Seems to need to add some weight. Could get redirected by a good press corner. Doesnt show violent hands off the line (if pressed).
Other than that its all about size, speed, and body control. He has plenty of that. He cant box out defenders with the best of them. Just extremely raw

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Cbs did a way too early mock draft and had us picking at 31, which is awesom lol (even if the steelers were picking at 32). But what i was most surprised is the selection and reasoning...
"Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis. Baltimore is an organization that prioritizes over-achieving players with high character. That's Miller, a former walk-on at Memphis. Last season, he had 95 receptions 1,314 yards, and 14 touchdowns. He's averaging 19 yards per grab thus far in 2017."

Sounds like they finally understand what we look for. Also ironic how the sloted Miller here. Everyones been going nuts about him simce he blew up vs UCLA. Cant blame em. Kid can play, tough competitor plays like a raven to me and watching the tape I wouldnt say late 1st round is too early for him. Kid has the most reliable hands ive seen in this class

Lol so cbs has 2 AFC teams in the Super Bowl???

And I haven't seen enough of miller to give an honest opinion but I haven't seen anywhere else where he's been slotted higher than the 3rd round - now that may rise but I haven't seen a single receiver separate in this draft class yet so would be hard to take one at the end of the first round so far

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lol so cbs has 2 AFC teams in the Super Bowl???

And I haven't seen enough of miller to give an honest opinion but I haven't seen anywhere else where he's been slotted higher than the 3rd round - now that may rise but I haven't seen a single receiver separate in this draft class yet so would be hard to take one at the end of the first round so far
Calvin Ridley is a 1st round lock no?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Since they have the steelers winning the super bowl in this mock, they clearly have us trading back.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
ill put it this way...

stefon diggs had better tape than any wr in this class not named ridley, and he went in the 5th, if not for injuries he probably goes in the third. a shit ton of 2nd round guys from years past had tape that blow these guys out of the water, christian kirk looks like a 4th round pick compared to what tyler boyd, allen robinson, jordan matthews, and marqise lee looked like as prospects.

not to say kirk looks like a 4th rounder, just by comparison these guys went in the second round but imo had better tape than kirk.
I'm still mad we didn't draft Diggs. I was a huge fan

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'm still mad we didn't draft Diggs. I was a huge fan
Same. Wtf were we thinking? The Maryland kid skips past the wr needy team 4 times, smh. Dude had every bit of a pro receivers skillset and nothing about his tape made you think he would be anything less than a borderline pro bowler.

Only issue was a few freak injuries that don't linger, a lacerated spleen ffs.