• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The WR Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Why would that stop us taking a round 1 wr?

All 3 of the vets we signed are on short term deals and none of our other wrs have more than 2 years left on contract (if they even make the team)

I’m not saying we will take a round 1 wr but it seems strange that getting Snead would take wr off the board - we need some young rookies at receiver and maybe it doesn’t happen in the 1st round but to rule that out entirely based on Snead seems counterintuitive to me
I think it could come down to McGlinchey, Ridley or a falling defensive player and certainly wouldn't be upset if a top defensive player fell to us as long as day two was offensive players (WR/TE/OL)

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think it could come down to McGlinchey, Ridley or a falling defensive player and certainly wouldn't be upset if a top defensive player fell to us as long as day two was offensive players (WR/TE/OL)
For me, if Edmunds, Ward, Vea, Payne, or James is there, we should take them. Well, Ridley over Ward, Vea, and Payne. But assuming he's gone, I'd happily get one of those. They could really put our defense over the top, especially in a more aggressive role that we have now that trusts players to use their instincts. We can grab someone like Gallup or Thomas in the second, Wilson in the third, and/or Ishmael in the fourth.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
just noticed how well gallup tracks a deep ball over his shoulder, very clean and effortless and sure, not a deep threat but when called upon hes got the stuff to make a catch downfield with a man in his back pocket.

this guys really starting to make a case for me, come thursday he could be my 2nd wr.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
just noticed how well gallup tracks a deep ball over his shoulder, very clean and effortless and sure, not a deep threat but when called upon hes got the stuff to make a catch downfield with a man in his back pocket.

this guys really starting to make a case for me, come thursday he could be my 2nd wr.

he's not my favourite route runner in the class but he runs the stem so well that he could end up as the best route runner of the class with development - as an overall receiver he's certainly got one of the higher ceilings in the class

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

he, like Ridley, knows how to set a CB up with their route running.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
he's not my favourite route runner in the class but he runs the stem so well that he could end up as the best route runner of the class with development - as an overall receiver he's certainly got one of the higher ceilings in the class
he, like Ridley, knows how to set a CB up with their route running.
i like to compare his route running to james washington a bit, he does well with the takeoff and subtleties like head and shoulder fakes, positioning, and little twitch motions, but the cuts could be sharper, more sudden, and less telegraphed, not that he telegraphs his routes per se, but he isnt like ridley or ant miller who get to chopping the feet and make every defender pause because there is NO guessing what break is coming.

i think gallup is gonna be an absolute machine at the next level, and hes perfect for this offense.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i like to compare his route running to james washington a bit, he does well with the takeoff and subtleties like head and shoulder fakes, positioning, and little twitch motions, but the cuts could be sharper, more sudden, and less telegraphed, not that he telegraphs his routes per se, but he isnt like ridley or ant miller who get to chopping the feet and make every defender pause because there is NO guessing what break is coming.

i think gallup is gonna be an absolute machine at the next level, and hes perfect for this offense.

having rewatched a load of the top wr tape i think miller is my favourite route runner of the group - ridley's close too - a lot of the other guys in the class have specific routes which they are great at but miller consistently sells his routes, uses the subtleties and nuances of route running to get himself open - ridley too is strong at selling his routes but id give miller the edge slightly (it was funny having gone back and watching daesean hamilton run the slot fade and the ridiculous improvements hes made running that route between 2016-2017 and then going back to miller's tape and seeing him run it even better)

id agree with you about washington and gallup's route success being similar - gallup sets up the stem well and could do with chopping his feet and selling fakes etc on the break but he's got the potential to improve if he sharpens his movements and becomes more precise in his cuts - washington i feel like has more work to do but similarly puts himself in great position with his stem especially with the way he eats up cushions

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor

It's nice to have someone else that likes Gallup as much as I do. I love how damn physical he is. He's just so well rounded. Miller and Gallup are my two favorite receivers in this class.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It's nice to have someone else that likes Gallup as much as I do. I love how damn physical he is. He's just so well rounded. Miller and Gallup are my two favorite receivers in this class.

I’m a big fan of both, but it’s possible the ravens trade down in the first and take OL or even Sutton. Rather have Gallup ri Miller in the 2nd

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Every time I watch Gallup I like him more and more. Shit this guy is gonna be good.

-The way he can beat the press (maybe has the best hand usage in the class)
-I love how he attacks the ball. Every once in a while you'll see him catch it passively but with the majority of his catches he uses great technique.
-He sells his routes very well and he is definitely one of the top route runners in the class. The man can stop on a dime.
-He is so physical before and after the catch its hard not to love his play style. Not often a corner is gonna throw him off his route.
-Doesn't have elite speed but definitely fast enough to threaten down the field, has pretty good short area speed and quickness.
-Pretty good with contested catches and ball tracking, could be improved though.

There is just so much to like with Gallup, idk how he isn't viewed as an early 2nd round lock. He and Anthony Miller man I just don't understand how anyone can watch their film and not love them as prospects.

Not to mention that Gallup is definitely in the running for worst QB. So many times Gallup beats his man cleanly and either his quarterback throws a horrid pass or flat out doesn't see him. And yet he still had insane production.

Last edited:

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I think Edwards is going to be a hell of a LB in a few years but I don't think he falls to us. Same with Roquan. I really don't like where we are picking and I am almost sure that we will trade back.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Not to mention that Gallup is definitely in the running for worst QB. So many times Gallup beats his man cleanly and either his quarterback throws a horrid pass or flat out doesn't see him. And yet he still had insane production.
This. It's like twice a game his QB fucks all his work.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Shout out to my no.2 wr being picked 4th... Dante pettis.

Reckon im owed a few apologies haha
Nope he's trash

Lol but really just because a team picked him means nothing. The Steelers picked Terrell Edmunds in the damn first round. We will see how it plays out.

arnie_uk

Veteran
Nope he's trash

Lol but really just because a team picked him means nothing. The Steelers picked Terrell Edmunds in the damn first round. We will see how it plays out.
If means that no one opinion is correct contrary to what you think.

At least people like joey could acknowledge i may have seen something he didnt. You don't seem capable of taking on board someone else opinion.

I also have moore 1 and said ridley could drop out of the 1st, was close enough

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
If means that no one opinion is correct contrary to what you think.

At least people like joey could acknowledge i may have seen something he didnt. You don't seem capable of taking on board someone else opinion.

I also have moore 1 and said ridley could drop out of the 1st, was close enough
Doesn't really matter much where they are picked - let's see how everybody did first 2-3 years.

arnie_uk

Veteran
Doesn't really matter much where they are picked - let's see how everybody did first 2-3 years.
Yep total crapshoot really. But wr is the only position i can say i am actually good at spotting.

Been doing this draft stuff since the year we drafted the smiths.

My one miss at wr was Evans for tampa. Thought he was to lumbersome

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Yep total crapshoot really. But wr is the only position i can say i am actually good at spotting.

Been doing this draft stuff since the year we drafted the smiths.

My one miss at wr was Evans for tampa. Thought he was to lumbersome
Shit, Evans still looks lumbersome to me. No idea how he does it.