• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The WR Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
20% drop rate no thanks. That has been my biggest pet peeve with this team the past 5+ years. Outside the miracle super bowl run, I swear this team has the case of the drops. I feel like people forget that 5 of Flacco's interceptions in the first 8 games were off of receivers hands.

yeah i was talking a few weeks ago about how despite playing awfully at least flacco protected the football - and despite all those drops/tips creating ints and the fact that the offence couldnt move at all he still had fewer turnovers than most of the league (including all the ones that werent on him)

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
20% drop rate no thanks. That has been my biggest pet peeve with this team the past 5+ years. Outside the miracle super bowl run, I swear this team has the case of the drops. I feel like people forget that 5 of Flacco's interceptions in the first 8 games were off of receivers hands.
And 2 of them went for pick 6s, completely changing the landscape of both respective games.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
yeah i was talking a few weeks ago about how despite playing awfully at least flacco protected the football - and despite all those drops/tips creating ints and the fact that the offence couldnt move at all he still had fewer turnovers than most of the league (including all the ones that werent on him)
I am known on these boards to defend Flacco. But I know for a fact at least 2-3 of those games early on in the season should've been wins if the receivers would just stop bobbling balls into defenders chests. I think Flacco's salary finally leveled out now to what he should be getting paid. Around the 10th quarterback salary in the league. The reason he gets so many people criticizing him in my opinion is 1. Most people look at stat lines and 2. People don't really watch film of what was going on in those games.

I agree so much with what Sal Paolantonio had to say with his interview with Garrett Downing. You look around the league and quarterbacks have weapons. You look here in Baltimore and the team lacks talent across the board. Hopefully Collins proves to continue his trend upwards and proves the Seahawks wrong for dropping him. But the Ravens cannot develop weapons. I still have no idea why we still have the same wide receiver coach here. The team needs to start putting more of a priority on offense especially when the defense still gives up games when the team puts in so much young higher draft picks into that defense.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
It’s insane that any Ravens fan would want a WR with a very bad drop problem..no matter what round. I’d rather have a Chuck Clark type player than a guy who drops 20% of his passes any day.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
But the Ravens cannot develop weapons.

my perspective has changed on this a bit the last few months (ive never been a fan of engram but ill give him a bit of a break here now):
the ravens just dont draft skill position players and they most definitely dont draft them in the first 3 rounds

im going to virtually quote something i said earlier in the free agency thread:

"since 2012 we have drafted only 4 skill position players in the first 2 days of a draft - of the 20 picks in day 2 we've made as an organisation since we started trying to negotiate flacco's contract we have only spent 4 on giving him weapons: perriman who was a 1st round pick but has so far shown nothing, maxx who was a 2nd round pick who has been a good run blocker but has added no value to the passing game, crockett gillmore who was an ok run blocker but didnt develop into the pass catcher we hoped he could and bernard pierce who had a good rookie season as a change of pace back and then proceeded to never show anything again..."

so to be fair to engram we literally have given him very little talent to develop for flacco

it's not necessarily a problem of not developing weapons it's more of a case (to me at least) that we arent taking enough shots at bringing in skill position players high in the draft - it would be a different story if we had added more players but you could argue less than 1/5 of the players brought in high in the draft since we decided to pay a franchise qb have been to help said franchise qb

and its not like we've been spending picks on oline too... (ill quote myself again)

"only 2 day 2 or higher picks have been spent on protecting him too... both have been great pickups but they were picked so far apart that they never even played together: stanley who looks like our franchise left tackle of the future and Kelechi Osemele who played so well he priced himself out of baltimore and is probably the best left guard in the league

but the overall issue is still a problem - less than a third of the day 2 (or higher) picks have been spent on offence despite the fact that we are paying a franchise qb and it would seem obvious that we would want to put that franchise qb in a position to win and maximise his talent...

this team just needs to take more shots on offensive players in the draft (im hoping and expecting this draft to redress the ratio a little at least) and obviously im ignoring contributions from day 3 players which you could argue is a bit disingenuous - but my point isnt that we havent drafted good players its that we havent taken enough shots on offensive players (and most dramatically skill position players) to expect flacco to ever have the tools to succeed around him"

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Again, drops are not a definitive thing. And fortunately because nearly every receiver in the Draft have plays that makes you question their hands at the next level. If you can't get around that, fine, get Allen Lazard and Tre'quan Smith and have fun with that. And watch other guys you didn't want work on their hands like Maclin and T.Y. have.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
How high will Justin Watson be drafted? He is drawing comparison to Cooper Kupp so far as his route running and his hands. Good size and athleticism to boot.
Have been able to find basically zero film.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ravens had De'Mornay Pierson-El in for a private visit. 4.5 40 time. I have ranked him as a priority UDFA. I didn't track those visits in the past, but is using one of them for a 7th rounder really worth it?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Ravens had De'Mornay Pierson-El in for a private visit. 4.5 40 time. I have ranked him as a priority UDFA. I didn't track those visits in the past, but is using one of them for a 7th rounder really worth it?
It's worth it if they feel he is draftable and don't want to lose him. That being said doing their due diligence. No need to read into anything.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Not going to lie, after reviewing the tape Michael Gallup has skyrocketed up my rankings. Top5 WR in this class imo. Really fun to watch, can start day one and be a QB's best friend.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not going to lie, after reviewing the tape Michael Gallup has skyrocketed up my rankings. Top5 WR in this class imo. Really fun to watch, can start day one and be a QB's best friend.
I think he will be productive but i see a lack of hip fluidity abd that gives me pause about his potential. Should be a high floor guy if he stays consistent in his route running

1. Ridley (without doubt, and that should be on every team's board). Top 20
2. Moore (as a Corey Coleman kind of WR: badly affected by his college team's shallow route tree; probably best in the slot or as "#2" once he's used to a higher number of patterns. RD1
3. Tate (it doesn't matter to me how each poundit has him ranked. Most physical receiver in the class if I remind correct, and with great ball tracking. Perfect endzone weapon. Perfect for comeback, out routes but can also play vertical).. Top 50
4. StBrown (very different WR from Tate, but same range. Would use him for more sophisticated routes though. High ceiling) Top 50
5. Miller (great hands, very natural receiver. Just not as explosive as the first 2 guys but still good athlet. Very similar to SSS or Nicks imo). Top 70
6. Cain (solid #2. I don't recall exactly what I did and didn't like, as I haven't watched tapes in like 2 months but I had an old ranking where he sits in the top 80. I'll leave him there I guess)
7. Burnett (sudden and explosive slot WR). Late day 2.
8. Washington (looks quite stiff and will possibly not win contested catches in the pros. I see him as a 'limited' 3rd level threat). Late day 2.
9. Chark (like Washington, will probably make a good #2, threatening the middle of the D. Not such good hands but more fluid and probably a tad more versatile). Late day 2.
10. Sutton (despite the imposing frame he's not a contested catch monster. Doesn't track the ball as well as you'd wish from such a high coveted guy. Gets enough separation against zone coverage and is a good athlet but I'm don't like his chances to become a dependable #1 WR). Late day 2.
11. Coutee (another great after the catch toy. Super low pad level on contact and non stop motor should grant him a starting spot as a slot WR, soon). RD 4
12. Gallup (could be higher on my list but was limited to screens where he could unleash his YAC ability. In contrast to Moore, I don't see his footwork and lateral agility translate as well as the former's tho). Early day 3
13. Cobbs (not the best in finding separation but can make great catches, albeit showing a bit inconsistency. Good showing against OSU CBs and other top teams is proof that there's something to build on). RD 5
14. Kirk (last time I saw him was long ago but I really never got that hype. Relegated to the slot, I see him as a poor Miller. I just don't see such a high ceiling). RD 5
15. Ishmael (one of my favourite WRs for some time. Main issue is separation but has the best ball tracking skill in the class and great contest-catcher. I honestly don't know how bad that first flow can effect him in the pros, cause I don't remember if it's a technique issue, a physical limitation, or a team oriented choicento let him run simple/easy to cover routes). RD 5-6
16. Weah (very few tape. Inconsistent separation but strong hands and good body control. Showed to be hard to brought down). Late day 3
17. Lazard (sluggish in his breaks. Can become an interesting red zone weapon but there's so much more to work on). RD 7

Last edited:

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
2. Moore (as a Corey Coleman kind of WR: badly affected by his college team's shallow route tree; probably best in the slot or as "#2" once he's used to a higher number of patterns. RD1
3. Tate (it doesn't matter to me how each poundit has him ranked. Most physical receiver in the class if I remind correct, and with great ball tracking. Perfect endzone weapon. Perfect for comeback, out routes but can also play vertical).. Top 50
4. StBrown (very different WR from Tate, but same range. Would use him for more sophisticated routes though. High ceiling) Top 50
5. Miller (great hands, very natural receiver. Just not as explosive as the first 2 guys but still good athlet. Very similar to SSS or Nicks imo). Top 70
6. Cain (solid #2. I don't recall exactly what I did and didn't like, as I haven't watched tapes in like 2 months but I had an old ranking where he sits in the top 80. I'll leave him there I guess)
7. Burnett (sudden and explosive slot WR). Late day 2
8. Coutee (another great after the catch toy. Super low pad level on contact and non stop motor should grant him a starting spot soon). RD 4
9. Gallup (could be higher on my list but was limited to screens where he could unleash his YAC ability. In contrast to Moore, I don't see his footwork and lateral agility translate as well as the former's tho). Rd 4-5
10. Cobbs (not the best in finding separation but can make great catches, albeit showing a bit inconsistency. Good showing against OSU CBs and other top teams is proof that there's something to build on). 4th-5th
11. Kirk (last time I saw him was long ago but I really never got that hype. Relegated to the slot, I see him as a poor Miller. I just don't see such a high ceiling). RD 5
12. Ishmael (one of my favourite WRs for some time. Main issue is separation but has the best ball tracking skill in the class and great contest-catcher. I honestly don't know how bad that first flow can effect him in the pros, cause I don't remember if it's a technique issue, a physical limitation, or a team oriented choicento let him run simple/easy to cover routes). RD 5-6
12. Weah (very few tape. Inconsistent separation but strong hands and good body control. Showed to be hard to brought down). Late day 3
13. Lazard (sluggish in his breaks. Can become an interesting red zone weapon but there's so much more to work on). RD 7
I agree with Kirk. Think he’s my 7th receiver. But there’s definitely tape on Gallup where he’s not limited to screens. He’s got the whole tree in his back pocket.

No Sutton or Washington?

I agree with Kirk. Think he’s my 7th receiver. But there’s definitely tape on Gallup where he’s not limited to screens. He’s got the whole tree in his back pocket.

No Sutton or Washington?

Yeah as I said, I haven't watched tapes in months so I really remind the things that struck me the most. I remind, tho, that he's mainly a 1 level WR and even when asked to use his best skill (breaking open field tackles) he didn't look as sharp in his jukes nor as elusive as a Moore to say.
Totally forgot bout Washington and Sutton.. I had them there, too.. I just didn't see them.
Going to update it as soon as I have some time again..probably tonight.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
7. Burnett (sudden and explosive slot WR). Late day 2
8. Coutee (another great after the catch toy. Super low pad level on contact and non stop motor should grant him a starting spot soon). RD 4
9. Gallup (could be higher on my list but was limited to screens where he could unleash his YAC ability. In contrast to Moore, I don't see his footwork and lateral agility translate as well as the former's tho). Rd 4-5
10. Cobbs (not the best in finding separation but can make great catches, albeit showing a bit inconsistency. Good showing against OSU CBs and other top teams is proof that there's something to build on). 4th-5th
11. Kirk (last time I saw him was long ago but I really never got that hype. Relegated to the slot, I see him as a poor Miller. I just don't see such a high ceiling). RD 5
12. Ishmael (one of my favourite WRs for some time. Main issue is separation but has the best ball tracking skill in the class and great contest-catcher. I honestly don't know how bad that first flow can effect him in the pros, cause I don't remember if it's a technique issue, a physical limitation, or a team oriented choicento let him run simple/easy to cover routes). RD 5-6
12. Weah (very few tape. Inconsistent separation but strong hands and good body control. Showed to be hard to brought down). Late day 3
13. Lazard (sluggish in his breaks. Can become an interesting red zone weapon but there's so much more to work on). RD 7

would you mind adding your top 15 wrs to this document?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...JVRGp_aJReWA02Gc-PHiTKFr4/edit#gid=1705136502

im trying to create a forum consensus/average receiver ranking

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Bold statement...

Nobody catches the ball as naturally and effortlessly as javon wims. His hands and ability to find the ball with his hands while covered are second to none. He could improve in a lot of areas but he literally couldn't be better at making difficult catches, and h will have a niche in this league day one thanks to that.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Bold statement...

Nobody catches the ball as naturally and effortlessly as javon wims. His hands and ability to find the ball with his hands while covered are second to none. He could improve in a lot of areas but he literally couldn't be better at making difficult catches, and h will have a niche in this league day one thanks to that.
Doesn't that remind you too much of that USC WR you were super high on last year?

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Doesn't that remind you too much of that USC WR you were super high on last year?
The difference is that Wims isn’t slower than molasses.

And having the best hands in the class isn’t really a bad thing. I still like Rogers.