• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The OL and The Tavon

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I do feel like Lamar has a thing where he tries too hard to stay in the pocket, I see openings that he could make huge plays out of or at least buy plenty of time and he’ll opt to climb into a very tight pocket instead, sometimes ending in sacks. I try not to complain or nitpick on Lamar because, come on, he’s the reason we’re a great team, but I’ve noticed he definitely does this
I think its a mixed bag. In some cases, I want him to stay in the pocket longer for another second to let the play develop. Othertimes, I think he rolls out or moves in the pocket in anticipation of pressure rather than actual pressure coming.
When fans watch the game, usually what the QB does is driving the "narrative" of whether the Oline is playing well. If he's constantly moving around in and out of the pocket and scrambling, it can make it seem like pressure is getting there. Sometimes that's true, but sometimes its not.

The other concept Ken talks about is how to score an Oline when a team blitzes. Say they rush 6 or 7 guys... are you really putting the blame on the OLine if there's pressure or a sack? He puts the burden there on the QB mostly. Supposed to be able to read the blitz (easier said than done obviously) and get the ball out. Not reasonable to expect 5 guys to block 6 or 7 guys, especially when one group is coming forward and the other is largely backing up.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The other concept Ken talks about is how to score an Oline when a team blitzes. Say they rush 6 or 7 guys... are you really putting the blame on the OLine if there's pressure or a sack? He puts the burden there on the QB mostly. Supposed to be able to read the blitz (easier said than done obviously) and get the ball out. Not reasonable to expect 5 guys to block 6 or 7 guys, especially when one group is coming forward and the other is largely backing up.

id agree with this specifically - especially if the OL have taken the right 5 guys they need to block

there's a reason sacks is/should be a QB stat too

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
he's always looking for a better play - a lot of the time you'll see this it'll be on 3rd down where he doesn't want to throw it short of the sticks and is instead looking for the receiver to uncover so he climbs - sometimes it leads to sacks

as long as he's safe with the football i'd rather he try to make those types of plays in most cases because in many situations the short completion doesnt continue the drive anyway

the ones where i think he'd kick himself are the ones where on tape on sunday he'll be kicking himself - there's a play where dobbins is wide open for a walk-in TD and all the reads are on the other side of the field (hence why he didnt see him) but that if he noticed the defensive blown assignment he could have worked out dobbins should be wide open

sacks arent always the end of the world - the offence isnt it rhythm yet either
Oh I get it, and I know rolling out also eliminates half the field(sometimes, Lamar is actually a stud throwing back across), but if the pocket is closing too quickly and he has an outlet, that play for example he may have bought enough time to find dobbins

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Oh I get it, and I know rolling out also eliminates half the field(sometimes, Lamar is actually a stud throwing back across), but if the pocket is closing too quickly and he has an outlet, that play for example he may have bought enough time to find dobbins

tbf it wasnt that he didnt have time to find dobbins it's that the play literally didn't have him as a read really at all - but they'll see it on film and my guess is they'll build a designed throwback into the play in future to take advantage of that look

it happened on a play with both ingram and dobbins in the backfield at the same time

but in general you're definitely right - especially with dobbins here (and potentially justice hill too if/when he's active again) but the checkdown/dumpoff option is often going to be an effective option to take - especially on early downs

especially if we're throwing on early downs early in the game i'd like to see us run plays designed to the RB and definitely against the chiefs who missed so many tackles against the chargers backs all game but particularly in the passing game

Filmstudy

Staff Member
Filmstudy
Writer
id agree with this specifically - especially if the OL have taken the right 5 guys they need to block

there's a reason sacks is/should be a QB stat too

For what it's worth, the Ravens OL got charged with 3.67 of the 4 sacks. The only part they didn't get was 1/3 charged to Dobbins for not blocking Cunningham.

So the Ravens had significant sack charges in this game, they just didn't have much of anything else in the way of negative events, which is why the grades were so good.

JAAM

Hall of Famer