• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The OL and The Tavon

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Some interesting PFF grades through 2 weeks:

Ronnie Stanley 85 grade - 4th ranked Left Tackle
Mark Andrews 84.6 grade - 4th ranked Tight End
Bradley Bozeman 80.6 grade - 7th best guard
LJ Fort 89.4 grade - 1st best Linebacker

Tyre Phillips 42.2 grade - 69th out of 72 guards

Bradley Bozeman has been the surprise good story of the OL this year
with marshall yanda's loss i think it's quite telling that the right side of the OL has struggled while the left side is grading out in the upper eschelons of the league right now

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

with marshall yanda's loss i think it's quite telling that the right side of the OL has struggled while the left side is grading out in the upper eschelons of the league right now
Will wait to see Ken's week 2 OL grades, but he heaped a ton of praise on Bozeman from week 1. Easily the highest grade on an Oline that overall got pushed around a lot.
Orlando and Skura were the biggest disappointments from week 1. Will see what week 2 looks like, but I'm not sure it'll be a lot better.

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
i remember those now that you mention it, i actually thought both incs were on lamar, the hargreaves one felt like it needed to be led in front and it was more on the shoulder and too easily played, and the endzone shot was mad underthtrown

Agree on Hargreaves. I wanted Lamar to hit Andrews in the flat on the second one, but I think he did a good job of maximizing the combined probability of a TD catch or PI when he finally did throw. I trust Andrews to come up with it if he doesn't get interfered with, and he just didn't get the flag.

we had 230 rushing yards, but who's counting

Well, 233 if you want to take out the kneels. And 16 came on scrambles. But agree, definitely not 250. Still nice to see more than 107.

this might sound like sacrilege but having gone through the all-22 watching averett i really dont think its gonna be the end of the world (snip)

This isn't sacrilege, it's reality. Averett is fine. If he turns out to be the weakest link of this defense, they're in great shape. And that Watson throw...

This week specifically, I'm more worried about Queen. He bit hard on some of the run fakes (although generally recovered well), got toasted by David Johnson when split wide (I think we'll see a personnel adjustment on that one), and lost Johnson again in space near the goal line (play before the Texans TD, he takes a step toward Watson like he has contain, but Fort is already there; that step is all Johnson needed). It's probably worth taking a look at his 24 pass snaps (can provide time stamps if anyone wants).

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Will wait to see Ken's week 2 OL grades, but he heaped a ton of praise on Bozeman from week 1. Easily the highest grade on an Oline that overall got pushed around a lot.
Orlando and Skura were the biggest disappointments from week 1. Will see what week 2 looks like, but I'm not sure it'll be a lot better.

i think it'll look similar - skura and tyre are not going to grade out particularly well - i didnt notice orlando much so it might be that he had a better game but skura and tyre got victimised on the inside

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agree on Hargreaves. I wanted Lamar to hit Andrews in the flat on the second one, but I think he did a good job of maximizing the combined probability of a TD catch or PI when he finally did throw. I trust Andrews to come up with it if he doesn't get interfered with, and he just didn't get the flag.

there seems to be a trend starting through last year also of andrews not getting the flag from the refs on some clear PIs

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This week specifically, I'm more worried about Queen. He bit hard on some of the run fakes (although generally recovered well), got toasted by David Johnson when split wide (I think we'll see a personnel adjustment on that one), and lost Johnson again in space near the goal line (play before the Texans TD, he takes a step toward Watson like he has contain, but Fort is already there; that step is all Johnson needed). It's probably worth taking a look at his 24 pass snaps (can provide time stamps if anyone wants).

i think this is where we're just going to see rookie growing pains - i was surprised by how little he bit on the run fakes last week especially in comparison to the other rookie LBs like Kenneth Murray but it's natural expectation for rookies to get beaten by fakes of all sorts

he seems to show up well in big moments so far though - and the 4th and 1 stop the ravens had was clearly targeted at confusing Queen but his eye-discipline was great and he was there in coverage to stop the conversion

not many LBs in the league are going to matchup well against David Johnson isolated out wide - that was a clear mismatch before the snap and he bit on the sluggo

as Wink said of both Queen and Harrison before week 1: as long as they play fast and decisive we can live with the mistakes they'll inevitably make as they learn

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This isn't sacrilege, it's reality. Averett is fine. If he turns out to be the weakest link of this defense, they're in great shape. And that Watson throw...

i think if anyone's at fault it's probably deshon elliott if anything just for being a bit late to break on that route

that said, through 2 weeks, wink regularly has elliott, chuck or jimmy playing from a different continent on the backend - i think he's very clear that he doesnt want us getting beat over the top

Simba

Staff Member

Crazy how far Bozeman has come. He wasn't even in consideration for most of us last year and then ended up the starter in week 1 by surprise. He quietly put up a really good year and people still wanted to replace him. And it looks like he's continuing right where he left off. He's not flashy by any means but he's a smart, consistent player and has become a key cog for us on the left side. It goes without saying, but I hope it continues.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think this is where we're just going to see rookie growing pains - i was surprised by how little he bit on the run fakes last week especially in comparison to the other rookie LBs like Kenneth Murray but it's natural expectation for rookies to get beaten by fakes of all sorts

he seems to show up well in big moments so far though - and the 4th and 1 stop the ravens had was clearly targeted at confusing Queen but his eye-discipline was great and he was there in coverage to stop the conversion

not many LBs in the league are going to matchup well against David Johnson isolated out wide - that was a clear mismatch before the snap and he bit on the sluggo

as Wink said of both Queen and Harrison before week 1: as long as they play fast and decisive we can live with the mistakes they'll inevitably make as they learn
With Queen we have to consider that this is only his 2nd year as a starter. Johnson pre injury was one of the best receivers in the league (including WRs) so this is clearly a mismatch as you pointed out.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i think if anyone's at fault it's probably deshon elliott if anything just for being a bit late to break on that route

that said, through 2 weeks, wink regularly has elliott, chuck or jimmy playing from a different continent on the backend - i think he's very clear that he doesnt want us getting beat over the top
Yeah I called out Elliott on that one. Clearly that was his assignment and he kinda seemed to indicate that too, seemed like he was pointing himself out a little

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Holy shit. LJ Fort SZN. I wonder if we’ll start Fluker at RG if Tyre keeps having a rough go

Simba

Staff Member
Holy shit. LJ Fort SZN. I wonder if we’ll start Fluker at RG if Tyre keeps having a rough go

I was reading through Zrebiec's replies yesterday and it sounds like they aren't too impressed with Fluker. Apparently communication was a major issue throughout camp and they weren't super impressed with his movement. Not shocking considering how much we have our Gs pull. Jeff opines that Mekari would be ahead of him in the pecking order. Fluker is pretty much a pure swing T option, it seems.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I was reading through Zrebiec's replies yesterday and it sounds like they aren't too impressed with Fluker. Apparently communication was a major issue throughout camp and they weren't super impressed with his movement. Not shocking considering how much we have our Gs pull. Jeff opines that Mekari would be ahead of him in the pecking order. Fluker is pretty much a pure swing T option, it seems.
Wait didn’t Mekari have success last year? How come he isn’t starting?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I called out Elliott on that one. Clearly that was his assignment and he kinda seemed to indicate that too, seemed like he was pointing himself out a little

i think he knew it in real time too because he broke on it but just too late - i think he's a bit hesitant to pull the trigger right now (which i saw on his film in the bengals game last year) he just hesitates - often he's making the right decision but he's second guessing himself a little bit i think

i think he doesnt want to make a mistake and get beat over the top and it's meaning he's late to break

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think harbaugh is gonna try to let him learn, trial by fire

i think the thing is that when you start a rookie in that spot who's played left tackle in college you have to expect there to be growing pains - you've clearly seen something you like and you have to commit to that process at least for a decent few games especially given we didnt have a preseason to see how he responds

he has oodles of potential with his physical gifts and he clearly did well enough in camp to win that job so i think we have to take the bad up front with the understanding that he should improve with each week