• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The OL and The Tavon

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I was reading through Zrebiec's replies yesterday and it sounds like they aren't too impressed with Fluker. Apparently communication was a major issue throughout camp and they weren't super impressed with his movement. Not shocking considering how much we have our Gs pull. Jeff opines that Mekari would be ahead of him in the pecking order. Fluker is pretty much a pure swing T option, it seems.

to that point - against the texans mekari was the 6th OL on the jumbo package and fluker did not see the field at all

Simba

Staff Member
yeah i fully expect us to let skura hit the market and have mekari start in year 3 unless a better option comes along

Really the only way I see Skura back is if he continues to struggle this year while working through his recovery, and he signs a 1 year to try to rebuild value. For his sake, I hope he gets back to 2018 levels over the coming weeks and prices himself out of Baltimore. He's a good guy and I'd hate to see him miss out on that 2nd contract. Just seems like Mekari is in line to take over unless, as you said, a better option becomes available.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Really the only way I see Skura back is if he continues to struggle this year while working through his recovery, and he signs a 1 year to try to rebuild value. For his sake, I hope he gets back to 2018 levels over the coming weeks and prices himself out of Baltimore. He's a good guy and I'd hate to see him miss out on that 2nd contract. Just seems like Mekari is in line to take over unless, as you said, a better option becomes available.

this is how i assumed it would go and not that this would factor into the coaching decisions but the more skura plays (and hopefully the more he improves) the more likely it is we get a high draft pick out of him despite hopefully having his replacement already on the roster

i hope we continue to draft OL every year though even if we are content with mekari next year because it's more likely we land a gem like bozeman if we're constantly pulling the trigger at that position especially with the shortage of good players at that position around the league

and with Joe D here we've basically become a starting OL --> comp pick --> starting OL factory

here are some of the most notable comp picks from the last decade:

2011: Pernell Mcphee (who himself earned us back a comp pick)
2013: Kyle Juszcyzk
2013: Ricky Wagner (who should have himself earned us back a comp pick but we got stiffed for it in 2017 and instead ended up with one for lawrency guy - he was cancelled out by Tony Jefferson)
2013: Ryan Jensen (who himself earned us back a comp pick)
2014: Brent Urban
2015: Nick Boyle
2016: Willie Henry
2016: Kenneth Dixon
2016: Maurice Canady
2018: Bradley Bozeman
2019: Miles Boykin (sort of - traded into his pick with a comp pick)
2020: Tyre Phillips

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Devin Duvernay offensive contribution by drive:

Drive 1: 0 snaps
Drive 2: 1 snap - he absolutely eats up the DBs cushion on a go route
Drive 3: 1 snap where he goes into orbit motion and is then a decoy on a screen (lamar pump-fakes his way) for lamar to send the slip screen to mark ingram for 18 yards
Drive 4: 2 snaps including his 1 reception for 19 yards on the long crossing route - just completely outruns the DB (the other snap was on a running play)
Drive 5: 0 snaps
Drive 6: 1 snap on a zone-read away from his side
Drive 7: 0 snaps
Drive 8: 0 snaps
Drive 9: 1 snap - running play - sent on a motion across the LoS to pull the DB away from the side of the run

only 6 snaps but at least early in the game he was clearly a part of the gameplan and they're clearly designing things to get him involved

rossihunter2

Staff Member

so the steelers blitz even more than we do - difference is they've got TJ Watt, Bud Dupree and Cam Heyward - they've also not faced any decent offence or QB play yet either

that being said i dont expect their number to come down after week 3 given they've got the texans next...

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

so the steelers blitz even more than we do - difference is they've got TJ Watt, Bud Dupree and Cam Heyward - they've also not faced any decent offence or QB play yet either

that being said i dont expect their number to come down after week 3 given they've got the texans next...

Nonetheless almost 75% is insane.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
that's not a percentage lol - the y axis is a total - that's not 75% pressures that's nearly 75 pressures total in 2 games... which is somehow even more ridiculous lol
Welp i might need to get my eyes rechecked...
That's true 75 total pressures is crazy.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i think the thing is that when you start a rookie in that spot who's played left tackle in college you have to expect there to be growing pains - you've clearly seen something you like and you have to commit to that process at least for a decent few games especially given we didnt have a preseason to see how he responds

he has oodles of potential with his physical gifts and he clearly did well enough in camp to win that job so i think we have to take the bad up front with the understanding that he should improve with each week
Exactly, harbaugh probably sees a mountain of potential and also sees a mentally strong young man who learns by doing, there are a lot of people like that, and harbaugh also has probably learned from past mistakes when he was handcuffing young players as he was one to do quite often.

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
that's not a percentage lol - the y axis is a total - that's not 75% pressures that's nearly 75 pressures total in 2 games... which is somehow even more ridiculous lol

It is more ridiculous. I counted 94 dropbacks:
  • week 1: 41 attempts, 3 sacks, 3 scrambles
  • week 2: 39 attempts, 7 sacks(!), 1 scramble
So, 79.7% pressures.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Exactly, harbaugh probably sees a mountain of potential and also sees a mentally strong young man who learns by doing, there are a lot of people like that, and harbaugh also has probably learned from past mistakes when he was handcuffing young players as he was one to do quite often.

we know that harbs liked him from before we drafted him - hortiz said that Tyre was one of harbs's favourite prospects in the pre-draft process

he's good in space, great size and surprisingly athletic - his feet in certain aspects of his game are a bit slow but ultimately he's got so many tools that should make him successful he just needs to put it together with the mental side of things

i think he stays in the lineup as long as he's not making the same mistakes - i can live with errors and mistakes as long as he's fixing things week-to-week

and i think the communication issues should improve just with reps

i think even if we see blowouts in future weeks you're gonna see tyre and orlando play to the end of the game and not get stood down because their chemistry is so important to the success of the pass pro

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Play to the strengths of the right side and we'll see dividends:

tyre not a natural guard yet so will get beat up on in the passing game a bit while he develops but he and Orlando on the right side paving the way in the running game with Bozeman pulling right is still going to be the staple of our running game you have to think

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Interesting read from FilmStudy on the Ravens Oline performance from week 2. Basically thought they were greatly improved and played much better than it seemed when watching the game live. Put some of the blame on Lamar for potentially holding the ball too long and not taking advantage of what was, according to him, reasonable time and space to operate.

Only lineman who got a below average grade (and played really poorly) was Phillips, who did not play well.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Interesting read from FilmStudy on the Ravens Oline performance from week 2. Basically thought they were greatly improved and played much better than it seemed when watching the game live. Put some of the blame on Lamar for potentially holding the ball too long and not taking advantage of what was, according to him, reasonable time and space to operate.

Only lineman who got a below average grade (and played really poorly) was Phillips, who did not play well.
I do feel like Lamar has a thing where he tries too hard to stay in the pocket, I see openings that he could make huge plays out of or at least buy plenty of time and he’ll opt to climb into a very tight pocket instead, sometimes ending in sacks. I try not to complain or nitpick on Lamar because, come on, he’s the reason we’re a great team, but I’ve noticed he definitely does this

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I do feel like Lamar has a thing where he tries too hard to stay in the pocket, I see openings that he could make huge plays out of or at least buy plenty of time and he’ll opt to climb into a very tight pocket instead, sometimes ending in sacks. I try not to complain or nitpick on Lamar because, come on, he’s the reason we’re a great team, but I’ve noticed he definitely does this

he's always looking for a better play - a lot of the time you'll see this it'll be on 3rd down where he doesn't want to throw it short of the sticks and is instead looking for the receiver to uncover so he climbs - sometimes it leads to sacks

as long as he's safe with the football i'd rather he try to make those types of plays in most cases because in many situations the short completion doesnt continue the drive anyway

the ones where i think he'd kick himself are the ones where on tape on sunday he'll be kicking himself - there's a play where dobbins is wide open for a walk-in TD and all the reads are on the other side of the field (hence why he didnt see him) but that if he noticed the defensive blown assignment he could have worked out dobbins should be wide open

sacks arent always the end of the world - the offence isnt it rhythm yet either