• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Andy Reid, The Coaching and The Everything Else

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Listen, I'm saying this knowing I'm gonna get a lot of "really, come on, you're just being a hater/flacco homeboy"

Ive moved on, and I'm all in for Lamar. I think he has tons of potential and one bad game doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

but I can't help but notice how Lamar puts up lots of stats and wins on mediocre teams, but can't beat the best and really hasn't had any performances in the clutch.

Flacco is in most ways more limited than Lamar, even comparing Flacco to Lamar in his prime.

But man, I miss one thing about Flacco - when we were behind and in big games, I knew he COULD and many times had stepped up.

Lamar is still young, I just want to see him progress and be able to light it up not just to bear up on inferior teams but to help carry his team to victory in the tough games and moments in the clutch.

I remember Flacco in that Vikings game in 2009, the Texans and Falcons games in 2010, Steelers and Pats in 2011, so many moments where Flacco played his best while the team let him down, sometimes so much that his comeback efforts were foiled by missed field goals or defensive gaffles. But with Flacco, we could be down 14 with 5 minutes left and I wouldn't turn the tv off. Unfortunately with Lamar, we get down two scores at any point in the game and I get discouraged easily.

I don't regret moving on from Flacco with Lamar, I just get frustrated that he has all this talent but seems to be developing a habit of choking in bigger moments.
Yeah, this is revisionist history a bit for me...
1. You're painting way too rosy a picture of Joe. Joe had plenty of non-clutch moments in big games also, especially early in his career (which is where Lamar is currently). For starters, if we assume all playoff games are big games, Joe was genuinely bad as a QB for his first 5 playoff games. Not good, not even average. Just bad. By pretty much any metric you can come up with. We won 3 of those games, but Joe's job was quite literally to hand the ball off and not throw turnovers. And he didn't even do that very well in his losses. He got ate up by Pittsburgh in the AFC title game in 08, and was horrible for the entirety of the 2009 playoffs.
There are many instances, even later in his career, where Joe would get intercepted, fumble, etc. in close, key games.
2. Lamar is beating good teams consistently. The only team that he's basically not beating is KC. That's it. Last year he beat SF, New England, and Seattle. He probably won't have teams like that on his resume this year, because they're not on our schedule.
If anything, its the opposite. Joe had very, very, very few "big game" wins in the regular season in his career. Most were against Pittsburgh. Even in 2011 and 2012, we had losses to teams that were perceived as better than us.
Lamar is beating everybody in the regular season (except for KC). He's just not winning playoff games, though again, that sample size is pretty small.

Simba

Staff Member
Yeah kicking a field goal on 4th and 3 in the redzone felt like an early surrender. Couldn't believe we weren't going for it at the time - that's supposed to be what we do!

I don't think it was the field goal as much as throwing passes on 2nd and 3rd down. That's usually a spot we run it down their throats. We didn't.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't think it was the field goal as much as throwing passes on 2nd and 3rd down. That's usually a spot we run it down their throats. We didn't.

i dont love the calls but 2nd and 3 was a RPO and i think lamar just picked the wrong option
and 3rd and 3 should have worked - the pick we set worked but snead just cut his route off too early - if either of those decisions are made better then we get the 1st down most likely (or we get at least within 4th down and go for it range)

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
we had the toughest schedule in the league last year and beat up on everyone of them outside of the Chiefs and the Titans. We didn't just win close games, we put them away. You can only play the teams on your schedule. I also don't put that Titans game on Lamar. You catch 6 of those drops and it's a different game.

Whole league was weak last year

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Could be wrong but I think The Ravens may have missed Earl Thomas in last game. Deshon Elliott seem late and fooled on so many plays. Not sayin that Earl Thomas was perfect but I kind of wish The Ravens could have worked things out with him. It is what it is though. At the same time when talking about Elliott it's understandable to take in consideration that this is a totally a new experience for him and there is going to be some growing pain. The same goes for Patrick Queen and other young players.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Three things that I observed or made me mad.

1) Honestly I don't mind the whole sacks thing, but why does Matt Judon only have 5 tackles over 3 hmgames. That just truly seems ridiculous for legitimately any defensive player making 17m don't care the position.

2) I know there's clamoring for Dobbins to get more carries, I agree, but I think Gus should be RB1 and Ingram and Dobbins should be the the chmahe of pace.

3) Am I the only one who noticed we almost never tackled CEH. We eventually stopped him yes, but like I would bet he was only tackled 20% of the times he was stopped. What has happened to our defensive tackling? Surefire stops are actually going for first downs because of bad tackling. That's unacceptable.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Three things that I observed or made me mad.

1) Honestly I don't mind the whole sacks thing, but why does Matt Judon only have 5 tackles over 3 hmgames. That just truly seems ridiculous for legitimately any defensive player making 17m don't care the position.

2) I know there's clamoring for Dobbins to get more carries, I agree, but I think Gus should be RB1 and Ingram and Dobbins should be the the chmahe of pace.

3) Am I the only one who noticed we almost never tackled CEH. We eventually stopped him yes, but like I would bet he was only tackled 20% of the times he was stopped. What has happened to our defensive tackling? Surefire stops are actually going for first downs because of bad tackling. That's unacceptable.

we’re in the bottom 3rd of the league in terms of missed tackles which is not a good sign although I reckon at least half of them are Marcus peters

Simba

Staff Member
Could be wrong but I think The Ravens may have missed Earl Thomas in last game. Deshon Elliott seem late and fooled on so many plays. Not sayin that Earl Thomas was perfect but I kind of wish The Ravens could have worked things out with him. It is what it is though. At the same time when talking about Elliott it's understandable to take in consideration that this is a totally a new experience for him and there is going to be some growing pain. The same goes for Patrick Queen and other young players.

I don't think anyone in the organization would disagree that losing Earl hurt us on the field, but they also really had no choice in the matter. The locker room was done with him and the FO couldn't trust him anymore. Good player despite the drop off in play last year, but can't put 1 guy above the team. You could argue that keeping him might have hurt the team a lot more, actually. Unfortunate circumstances but it is what it is, as you said.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am over the loss, it wasn't even that bad. 2-1 early in the season. We can't say that in the 3 games we've played we actually looked like we played our best ball just yet.

Lamar needs to lose games. He needs to get use to being put under pressure and learning to play from behind. It looks to me that he is still not use to it, which is a product of winning the way that he has been which is a testament to how great he and this offense have been.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm glad it was a MNF game and I couldn't watch cuz I had to crawl out of bed early early Tues and it saved me a few hundred from having to buy a new TV.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Whoever said missed tackles...yeah man what an issue that has been. It’s driving me insane. Way too many arm tackles and yes Peters is partly to blame but he’s not alone at all. I think I saw it from Judon and another LB or two or three but could be wrong.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Whoever said missed tackles...yeah man what an issue that has been. It’s driving me insane. Way too many arm tackles and yes Peters is partly to blame but he’s not alone at all. I think I saw it from Judon and another LB or two or three but could be wrong.
I think the change in offseason really has affected tackling.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
How has his run blocking been ? So far it doesn't seem like our run game is as good as last years.

its been fine - there wasnt a lot to see in the chiefs game because of the lack of rushing generally but he was a pretty key part of the long Lamar run on the first drive

so far he's almost certainly been a better run blocker than pass blocker so it's a good sign that he had his best game as a pass protector against the chiefs - really promising to see him fix some issues too which shows an actual progression

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

i dont get it - it was a clearly bad call - wasnt a horse collar at all... how come he still gets fined?

conversely trysten hill gets half that amount for clearly trying to on purpose end chris carson's year

and he succeeded

Dude what the fuck this is trash, roger goodell has lost his fucking mind yet again