• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Andy Reid, The Coaching and The Everything Else

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just can’t get over the fact that Matt Judon is 17m against the ravens salary cap, and we passed on clowney, ngakoue, and Jamal Adams for him, and also missed out on probably a 2nd round pick because he could’ve been traded...
Judon and Ingram are bye bye after this year unless there is dramatic improvement.

We should have also kept Hayden Hurst.

Simba

Staff Member
He's been steadily in the 20-25 snaps per game range all season so far.

Through 3 weeks:
Ingram: 48 snaps
Dobbins: 43 snaps
Edwards: 35 snaps

So its been pretty balanced, though I don't think you see Edwards much early in games, which is what some people are clamoring for. I do agree that Ingram looks to be the least effective back of the group through 3 weeks.

I kind of like the Edwards late game role, but I think you need to start getting him involved earlier. Ingram isn't looking so hot so far this year and Edwards seems to always grind out 4-5 yards per carry even when he's hit at the LOS. Wear them down earlier.

Simba

Staff Member
I know they tried to use Judon on a few stunts that didn't work out, but I'd be curious to see how he was used again this game. Those plays obviously stand out but I still feel like they've been using him so much more in coverage than they have in the past. Not to say he doesn't need to do a better job as far as pass rushing goes, but he doesn't really seem to be getting much opportunity there either. I know he's a versatile player but it still seems strange to take your best pass rusher and limit his pass rushing snaps. Not saying he's great at that either, by the way.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I kind of like the Edwards late game role, but I think you need to start getting him involved earlier. Ingram isn't looking so hot so far this year and Edwards seems to always grind out 4-5 yards per carry even when he's hit at the LOS. Wear them down earlier.
I'm on the fence. I'm not nearly as high on Edwards as others, and I agree he very much fits the mold of a Marion Barber-like "closer" role, who you bring in late in games to punish the defense.

I just don't know that he would be just as effective early in games. I'm willing to see I guess, but he got plenty of carries early against Tennessee (though one sample) and wasn't that effective then.

Barring a resurgence, its becoming pretty clear (to me at least) that this is Ingram's last year here.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Judon and Ingram are bye bye after this year unless there is dramatic improvement.

We should have also kept Hayden Hurst.
Right now if we could’ve gotten a 2 for Judon and drafted dobbins and kept hurst, that definitely looks like the better move.

we slam dunked a lot of moves this offseason but man the Judon debacle has been a real blunder, that one move fucked up our entire offseason because it had a massive ripple effect and the worst part is that the signs were there, Judon was never gonna be worth 17m

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I know they tried to use Judon on a few stunts that didn't work out, but I'd be curious to see how he was used again this game. Those plays obviously stand out but I still feel like they've been using him so much more in coverage than they have in the past. Not to say he doesn't need to do a better job as far as pass rushing goes, but he doesn't really seem to be getting much opportunity there either. I know he's a versatile player but it still seems strange to take your best pass rusher and limit his pass rushing snaps. Not saying he's great at that either, by the way.
He had plenty of rush snaps vs the chiefs and he had essentially zero impact. He was not an effective rusher by any stretch.

our best rushers looked to be bowser and Wolfe, bowser couldn’t finish any of his rushes but he was there often, it’s unfortunate that mahomes after avoiding a sure sack is basically guaranteed to gain 25+ yards. And I could be wrong on Wolfe but man it felt like I was seeing 95 pushing the pocket pretty well

Simba

Staff Member
He had plenty of rush snaps vs the chiefs and he had essentially zero impact. He was not an effective rusher by any stretch.

our best rushers looked to be bowser and Wolfe, bowser couldn’t finish any of his rushes but he was there often, it’s unfortunate that mahomes after avoiding a sure sack is basically guaranteed to gain 25+ yards. And I could be wrong on Wolfe but man it felt like I was seeing 95 pushing the pocket pretty well

See, I feel like I didn't see him rushing that much, but I was also way too focused on the CBs playing 10 yards off 95% of the night.

If I remember correctly, I think Von Miller said Wolfe specifically was the reason for so many of his sacks. Drawing defenders and just doing the dirty work. Haven't noticed a huge impact here so far but that might not be entirely his fault. Or he could just be quietly doing the dirty work and not getting recognized again.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Definitely thought Tyus Bowser played quite well last night. Could see the frustration on his face a couple times where he got great pressure and even hit Mahomes, but he made big completions still.

Simba

Staff Member
I'm on the fence. I'm not nearly as high on Edwards as others, and I agree he very much fits the mold of a Marion Barber-like "closer" role, who you bring in late in games to punish the defense.

I just don't know that he would be just as effective early in games. I'm willing to see I guess, but he got plenty of carries early against Tennessee (though one sample) and wasn't that effective then.

Barring a resurgence, its becoming pretty clear (to me at least) that this is Ingram's last year here.

Yeah it's a tough call. I like Edwards in that role but with Ingram so effective and Dobbins being used more on passing situations, it might make sense. Not exactly the preference but I'd think he'd be moderately more effective right now earlier in games than Ingram has been so far. Of course, the OL isn't exactly getting it done either, but not a strong start from Ingram at all.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
All I have to say is what was that? I know a lot of people are going to say Lamar looked terrible, but I just have to say one thing. Why is it every time we play a big game, number 1 the OLine stops protecting and 2 why do we drop passes?

Like wtf is Lamar supposed to do when both Andrews and Hollywood drop passes and he's being harrased by the pass rush? I'll say what I say after all these loses whether controversial or not, Lamar looks like he's the only one trying out there during big games. He wasn't without his mistakes but like come on to the rest of the team.
To be fair to Hollywood, Lamar missed him bad on two throws. Hard to make that much of an impact if the passes are not accurate. He had a sure TD late in the 3rd(I think) and Lamar missed him. There was another throw-in which he beat his man like a drum and Lamar missed him. Obviously we should expect better of Andrews but I think Hollywood put himself in position for big plays a couple of times but Lamar just missed him. Can't miss those when you're down big.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Definitely thought Tyus Bowser played quite well last night. Could see the frustration on his face a couple times where he got great pressure and even hit Mahomes, but he made big completions still.
Bowser has quietly had a strong start, he’s been maybe the most consistent defender besides marlon obviously who I think is still in top 3 DPOY consideration.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I just can’t get over the fact that Matt Judon is 17m against the ravens salary cap, and we passed on clowney, ngakoue, and Jamal Adams for him, and also missed out on probably a 2nd round pick because he could’ve been traded...

Ngakoue and Adams would have cost picks but jadeveon clowney for sure feels like he’d have been worth more to this defence than judon because he’s so disruptive

rossihunter2

Staff Member
See, I feel like I didn't see him rushing that much, but I was also way too focused on the CBs playing 10 yards off 95% of the night.

If I remember correctly, I think Von Miller said Wolfe specifically was the reason for so many of his sacks. Drawing defenders and just doing the dirty work. Haven't noticed a huge impact here so far but that might not be entirely his fault. Or he could just be quietly doing the dirty work and not getting recognized again.

from the stunts I looked at in my video last week on judon it looked like Calais Campbell played more of that “support” role on those stunts where he occupies space and blockers to create space for the looping rusher - I’d have thought derek Wolfe would be used more in that role (and he maybe he will be) because as you say he was great at that in Denver

On first watch I didn’t notice much pressure from judon beyond the penalty for offsides sack and a late elbow he got away with and maybe one other hit but otherwise don’t remember much of him being successful - will be interesting to watch if I can bring myself to watch the coaches film this week lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Bowser has quietly had a strong start, he’s been maybe the most consistent defender besides marlon obviously who I think is still in top 3 DPOY consideration.

I think bowser looked good this week - he wasn’t particularly effective against the Texans as a rusher but he looked good on first memory against the chiefs - should have had a sack - would have been his 3rd in 3 games

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ken's Week 3 defensive notes are up. Obviously, it wasn't a good day.

Specifically called out Queen and Peters for having poor games.

Peters, who I pointed out several times through the night, had what was pretty universally regarded as his worst game in a Baltimore uniform.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'll be very interested to see Oline scoring this week. Maybe I wasn't watching it closely enough, because I was too fascinated with how horrible our defense was playing, but I really didn't think the Oline was that bad until later in the game. It feels like we had some sacks late in the game, and fans decided those were a reflection of the whole performance.

I do know Orlando Brown stood out as not having a good game. I saw at least 2-3 heavy sacks or pressures from his side, and he had the horrible false start penalty that killed a potential TD drive while the game was still somewhat within reach.

then give Dobbins a chance at 1 and Gus 2