• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Andy Reid, The Coaching and The Everything Else

We are mental midgets. It's like watching my son play under 6 soccer, a couple of things go wrong and the game is over. Such a humiliating game to watch, Lamar just doesn't seem to have it in the big games. The Ravens owe me a day annual leave, spent most of the game wishing i had gone to work.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
but then we did the thing that went against the analytics too on that very first drive - i know you want to get on the board but you dont beat KC with field goals - we called a 3rd down play that suggested we might go for it on 4th down and then didnt

we lost 4 points on that drive and we lost 4 points on the andrews drop
So Harbs needs to make his damn mind up with analytics because it’s getting extremely frustrating. Just like the circle jerk crew was saying, I was surprised we went for three on the opening drive because you need more than that to beat the Chiefs

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Now maybe it's because I witnessed this team win a Super Bowl (sorry folks, talking about the second one as I didn't get into football until 2010) and getting older, but I seriously felt no anxiety or nervousness prior to the game. I dunno...maybe because I already conceited we'd lose against them. Whatever.

No restating WHY we lost this game, but I'll say this much. I don't get this notion that we constantly play like shit in prime time. We did just fine against the Pats on SNF, Rams on MNF, and the NY Ravens (at least our offense did) on TNF. Heck, we went on a GW drive to kick the GW FG against the Niners who had the best record in the NFC.

Now granted, we had a few clunkers on primetime but you get my point. I have two positives after this game:
1. We only allowed 7 points in the 2nd half albeit an unclutch performance.
2. No season-ending injuries.

Early loss. Whatever. 2-1. Time to bounce back. Not TOO mad, but we must be better all around.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
We need to start allowing Lamar to make checks and call audibles at the line.

I know in past interviews, he said he just trust G-Ro to call the right plays... but this is the next step for him

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

If this isn't damning for the coaching staff, idk what is.

We had a whole offseason to look at what the Titans did defensively. Maybe Lamar isn't completely accurate in saying they had the same gameplan, but if he is, wtf is Harbaugh and Roman doing?

...... abandoning the run

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Listen, I'm saying this knowing I'm gonna get a lot of "really, come on, you're just being a hater/flacco homeboy"

Ive moved on, and I'm all in for Lamar. I think he has tons of potential and one bad game doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

but I can't help but notice how Lamar puts up lots of stats and wins on mediocre teams, but can't beat the best and really hasn't had any performances in the clutch.

Flacco is in most ways more limited than Lamar, even comparing Flacco to Lamar in his prime.

But man, I miss one thing about Flacco - when we were behind and in big games, I knew he COULD and many times had stepped up.

Lamar is still young, I just want to see him progress and be able to light it up not just to bear up on inferior teams but to help carry his team to victory in the tough games and moments in the clutch.

I remember Flacco in that Vikings game in 2009, the Texans and Falcons games in 2010, Steelers and Pats in 2011, so many moments where Flacco played his best while the team let him down, sometimes so much that his comeback efforts were foiled by missed field goals or defensive gaffles. But with Flacco, we could be down 14 with 5 minutes left and I wouldn't turn the tv off. Unfortunately with Lamar, we get down two scores at any point in the game and I get discouraged easily.

I don't regret moving on from Flacco with Lamar, I just get frustrated that he has all this talent but seems to be developing a habit of choking in bigger moments.

i mean i get what you're saying but flacco really wasnt that good at the comeback either especially after those first 5 years - the only notable comeback i can think of after the superbowl was the crazy vikings game in 2013...

lamar has won some games against big teams that we would never have been in with flacco - but he hasnt had a signature game winning drive yet - partly that's because we've not had any opportunities - every single Lamar loss apart from the chargers playoff game has been out of sight before those last few minutes and every win has been ravens in the driving seat - the only game not like that was the 49ers game where we were tied and lamar led the long time-killing drive for us to win taking all the time off the clock and then setting up tucker for the game winner

the other thing regarding inferior teams is that since lamar's been the starter there havent been that many teams in the league you wouldnt regard as inferior

i think the hope with flacco came because he had those drives early in his career
with lamar we just havent even really seen him in that situation at all except when the whole team is melting down

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We are mental midgets. It's like watching my son play under 6 soccer, a couple of things go wrong and the game is over. Such a humiliating game to watch, Lamar just doesn't seem to have it in the big games. The Ravens owe me a day annual leave, spent most of the game wishing i had gone to work.

spent most of the game wishing i'd just gone to bed - have to be up in 3 hours

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Bro, FOR THE WHOLE OFFSEASON (not a slight to JoeyFlex at all, just wished the front office handled things differently)
I'm telling you bruh, let us have the 2014 Ravens pass rush with Sizz and Doom on the outside with McPhee on the inside with this secondary.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So Harbs needs to make his damn mind up with analytics because it’s getting extremely frustrating. Just like the circle jerk crew was saying, I was surprised we went for three on the opening drive because you need more than that to beat the Chiefs

i hope he hasnt gone chicken with it just because we fucked up on 4th and 1 twice in the titans game
it was working and we have to commit to it - ive noticed we havent gone for it as much this year on 4th down through 3 weeks so far

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

If this isn't damning for the coaching staff, idk what is.

We had a whole offseason to look at what the Titans did defensively. Maybe Lamar isn't completely accurate in saying they had the same gameplan, but if he is, wtf is Harbaugh and Roman doing?

Just from a competitive standpoint, I really, really, REALLY did not want Lamar to say this about an opponent.

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
Let's not get carried away though. Bad game , and Lamar didn't play well period. Also, offense and defense sucked across the board. Lamar is still our guy, but it's clear that we need to give him more help. He can't rely on the pistol read option to beat the top tier teams and defenses. We need to be working to help him keep developing as a passer - not necessarily a strict pocket passer though. I care less about where he throws from, he just needs to be more consistent with his throws. Last two games I noticed his accuracy wasn't all there but this game it was more obvious. It's not a lack of ability though. Lamar has shown himself to be a capable passer, and I've seen him make the throws he missed tonight. I think he's having a bit of a sophomore slump (it's his third year but only second year as a full starter). I believe he can ge my through it but we need to help him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Had a friend adamant about betting "5 Large" on the Raven's giving points at M&T Bank with the huge Regular Season winning streak. I told him this was the Superbowl MVP and though Action Jackson can run, he's a liability if you take his Tight Ends out of the game. Well, they took the Tight Ends out of the game and guess what. If one is wearing an Action Jackson avatar one is not going to understand. It just not gonna work.
Nobody gives a fuck about your friend or you

Now maybe it's because I witnessed this team win a Super Bowl (sorry folks, talking about the second one as I didn't get into football until 2010) and getting older, but I seriously felt no anxiety or nervousness prior to the game. I dunno...maybe because I already conceited we'd lose against them. Whatever.

No restating WHY we lost this game, but I'll say this much. I don't get this notion that we constantly play like shit in prime time. We did just fine against the Pats on SNF, Rams on MNF, and the NY Ravens (at least our offense did) on TNF. Heck, we went on a GW drive to kick the GW FG against the Niners who had the best record in the NFC.

Now granted, we had a few clunkers on primetime but you get my point. I have two positives after this game:

Early loss. Whatever. 2-1. Time to bounce back. Not TOO mad, but we must be better all around.
Good points. I believe the game against Houston last year was primetime as well. And the Texans were good then.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I'm telling you bruh, let us have the 2014 Ravens pass rush with Sizz and Doom on the outside with McPhee on the inside with this secondary.
Good lord, that was absolutely beautiful

3-4ravdef509

Practice Squad
i mean i get what you're saying but flacco really wasnt that good at the comeback either especially after those first 5 years - the only notable comeback i can think of after the superbowl was the crazy vikings game in 2013...

lamar has won some games against big teams that we would never have been in with flacco - but he hasnt had a signature game winning drive yet - partly that's because we've not had any opportunities - every single Lamar loss apart from the chargers playoff game has been out of sight before those last few minutes and every win has been ravens in the driving seat - the only game not like that was the 49ers game where we were tied and lamar led the long time-killing drive for us to win taking all the time off the clock and then setting up tucker for the game winner

the other thing regarding inferior teams is that since lamar's been the starter there havent been that many teams in the league you wouldnt regard as inferior

i think the hope with flacco came because he had those drives early in his career
with lamar we just havent even really seen him in that situation at all except when the whole team is melting down

Joe just wasn't the same after his 2015 injury. 2013 was a rebuilding year , but I will always defend Joe during his 2008-2014 stretch.
He had his down games but was mostly solid with flashes of greatness

JAAM

Hall of Famer
We need to start allowing Lamar to make checks and call audibles at the line.

I know in past interviews, he said he just trust G-Ro to call the right plays... but this is the next step for him
I’m absolutely with this. I also kind of want to mix it up and stop using the pistol exclusively

rossihunter2

Staff Member

yeah the idea that lamar crumbles in primetime is recency bias - until tonight he was 4-0 in primetime - its just that the last 2 times hes been on the national stage we've shit the bed

the other defensive positive is that unless i missed it, i dont think anthony averett got beaten up at all which is a promising sign moving forwards

we cant let this game beat us twice - we take the loss and we take the lessons from it and we make sure we dont repeat them - the reason this loss annoys me so much is because many of the problems again seem self-inflicted and repeated from that Titans game

it felt like we made the same mistake twice and that's unacceptable - making mistakes generally is inevitable but repeating them is not