• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Queen, The Misses and The Clunky

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He and queen both looked particularly bad against the chiefs, but it seems as if half of Reid’s gameplan was to have those guys flailing about with no clue where to go, other than that I haven’t seen anything suggesting Harrison needs a reduction, i mean LJ Fort has certainly outplayed him as that classic mike type, but Harrison wasn’t necessarily bad at any point outside of week 3

chiefs were just playing at another level - watching them make so many unforced mistakes tonight (still scoring 26 pts lol) but the Chiefs had the perfect gameplan and had basically no mistakes all game against us (the 1 mistake they did have allowed us to get back into the game briefly)

He and queen both looked particularly bad against the chiefs, but it seems as if half of Reid’s gameplan was to have those guys flailing about with no clue where to go, other than that I haven’t seen anything suggesting Harrison needs a reduction, i mean LJ Fort has certainly outplayed him as that classic mike type, but Harrison wasn’t necessarily bad at any point outside of week 3

I'm just not convinced having 2 rookies there makes a lot of sense, looks like the numbers of them playing together is scaling back.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

this is partly what ive been saying - the reason running on 1st down has been good for us has been because we've been running with a statistically outrageous success rate since Lamar took the reins - that has not sustained this year which is turning our 1st down runs into more Cam Cameron like calls where it's both predictable but also not successful

we're seeing more 2nd and longs which in turn is not helping the passing game

it seems counter-intuitive but i want us to pass more early and especially on 1st downs - if the running game isnt dominant then running on 60% of 1st downs isn't going to be the successful strategy it has been through 1 and a half years of Lamar

im not saying avoid the running game but avoiding 2nd and long consistently is important to the efficiency of this offence moving forwards

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Just being realistic, though the Patriots gave us a blueprint to possibllt beat them. DON'T BLITZ! Put everyone back in coverage.

Make sense when a defensive coordinator can trust a 4 man rush to get after the quarterback consistently. The Ravens don't have that right now so they have to blitz.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just being realistic, though the Patriots gave us a blueprint to possibllt beat them. DON'T BLITZ! Put everyone back in coverage.
I mean... maybe.

Everybody always thinks there's a blueprint. The Chargers showed everyone how to beat the Ravens. Then teams did the same, and they still got trucked by us.

Everybody says the way to beat the Chiefs is to not blitz and play coverage. Some teams have done that successfully. Other teams have had 30-40 points hung on them like it was nothing.

I agree our strategy didn't work, but that doesn't mean the opposite strategy will work. Like literally we're saying "lets give the best QB in the world as much time in the pocket as he needs". Because when we rush four, its unlikely we're going to get any reasonable pressure against that unit.

I think Mahomes would be very, very, very comfortable if he found out that's what we were going to try to do against him.

Still have to execute after all.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Make sense when a defensive coordinator can trust a 4 man rush to get after the quarterback consistently. The Ravens don't have that right now so they have to blitz.
The Patriots were not really getting to Mahomes with their rush though I only watched parts of the 3rd and 4th quarter .He had lots of time back there. They had excellent coverage and lots of it downfield.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I mean... maybe.

Everybody always thinks there's a blueprint. The Chargers showed everyone how to beat the Ravens. Then teams did the same, and they still got trucked by us.

Everybody says the way to beat the Chiefs is to not blitz and play coverage. Some teams have done that successfully. Other teams have had 30-40 points hung on them like it was nothing.

I agree our strategy didn't work, but that doesn't mean the opposite strategy will work. Like literally we're saying "lets give the best QB in the world as much time in the pocket as he needs". Because when we rush four, its unlikely we're going to get any reasonable pressure against that unit.

I think Mahomes would be very, very, very comfortable if he found out that's what we were going to try to do against him.

Still have to execute after all.
I’m not one to put all the blame on the players for not executing the play call, when said play call/game plan is clearly the wrong strategy, but in this case I agree. We did what we could, we live and die by the blitz and we have the leagues best secondary for that exact reason, I would rather see us pressure mahomes and put the load on the secondary to hold up, than to give him all day to throw.

That said, some of the play designs were weak indeed, we asked way too much of Queen in coverage when he clearly isn’t ready to take on Andy Reid’s offense in space and is a deadly blitzer, I also saw so many stunts from Judon that just shouldn’t have been, he’s not the most agile change of direction guy and he’s not exactly explosive, and he looked ridiculous with his long winding stunts that were telegraphed from a mile away. Some of that is on the players for not executing but I’d also argue in those instances you’re putting players in a position to fail.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Patriots were not really getting to Mahomes with their rush though I only watched parts of the 3rd and 4th quarter .He had lots of time back there. They had excellent coverage and lots of it downfield.
Yes, and they're well coached and have the "do your job" mentality.

The Ravens failures against the Chiefs were just as much about players not doing their jobs as it was coaches not putting them in a position to succeed.

Just look at the long TD for Hardman. The coverage was solid, the defensive alignment was excellent. Peters bites on a route and leaves his man, and Mahomes makes him pay. Simply 1-2 plays like that in a game can easily be the difference between a win and a blowout loss.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Lamar HAS to start hitting on these. Honestly that’s probably the biggest thing hurting us right now, he’s overthrown Hollywood on a lot of throws and it’s pretty inexcusable considering he’s one of the fastest players in the league and he worked with him all offseason

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lamar HAS to start hitting on these. Honestly that’s probably the biggest thing hurting us right now, he’s overthrown Hollywood on a lot of throws and it’s pretty inexcusable considering he’s one of the fastest players in the league and he worked with him all offseason

its disappointing - it was the aspect of this offence i was most excited about seeing because of how much work hollywood put in and it's underwhelmed but not because he isnt getting open which is frustrating

its a big area for improvement but at least theres a clear path to that improvement - whether it happens is a different matter but there's nothing stopping lamar from hitting those deep balls

chiefs were just playing at another level - watching them make so many unforced mistakes tonight (still scoring 26 pts lol) but the Chiefs had the perfect gameplan and had basically no mistakes all game against us (the 1 mistake they did have allowed us to get back into the game briefly)
Chiefs offense only scored 19 points against the Pats. If Cam was playing I think they may have won that game.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

saw this play live and marked it down in my notes to look at when the coaches film came out because duvernay runs off screen

but look at that gear he has - hardly looks like he's moving and he's past the FS before he's out of his back-pedal

having duvernay and hollywood lined up on the same side of the field could be lethal moving forwards - they were both wide open on this simple concept

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

very understandable and i respect that honesty

I can absolutely live with a rookie LB struggling in zone coverage, he has been nothing shy of a stud overall and that’s accounting for the coverage struggles, he looks like he’s going to turn out to be an elite run defender and blitzer, and if that’s what I get from a 28th overall LB and he struggles in coverage, I’m happy.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I can absolutely live with a rookie LB struggling in zone coverage, he has been nothing shy of a stud overall and that’s accounting for the coverage struggles, he looks like he’s going to turn out to be an elite run defender and blitzer, and if that’s what I get from a 28th overall LB and he struggles in coverage, I’m happy.

certainly 4 weeks into his rookie year after a stilted offseason im definitely going to live with that

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Going through the patrick queen film but Tyus Bowser is constantly standing out in pass coverage - his feel for how and where to drop is insanely good - it's like he had 360 vision and the smooth athleticism to be exactly where he wants to be at any given point in time - constantly taking away the qb's early reads