• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Queen, The Misses and The Clunky

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Simba

Staff Member
@Simba

poor dude goes up against one of the most dominant receivers in nfl history through his first 18 games in the league

Not anything against Dorsey because that's a no win situation for him, but gotta wonder if Bonds gets the elevation this week and they decide on who goes to the 53 (if either of them) after that. Need to add a CB to the 53 at some point (or rotate bodies on the PS).

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not anything against Dorsey because that's a no win situation for him, but gotta wonder if Bonds gets the elevation this week and they decide on who goes to the 53 (if either of them) after that. Need to add a CB to the 53 at some point (or rotate bodies on the PS).

my guess is its likely bonds next week because dorsey's no longer waiver-free but bonds has 1 more week of eligibility
it will be telling if dorsey's up again this week because it would tell you how much more valuable they think he is that they'd risk him being swiped just because of the value they think he adds

tbh thinking about it more i doubt any other team is going to be sniping a PS UDFA cornerback from us and i really think he's got the higher upside as a corner and he's played about 60% of the special teams snaps in both the games he was active for (bonds only 28% of special teams snaps against the chiefs)

i also just clipped the play so i could look at it and there's not a huge amount dorsey did wrong on that snap either - McLaurin ran a slot fade and he was basically in decent trail coverage the whole way - got beaten for speed initially but closed enough but the throw was perfect - he got beaten only slightly on a slot-fade by a guy who ran a 4.35 at the combine and only got beaten because the throw was perfect

nothing to be really done about that except maybe trying to disrupt him at the LoS a bit better (didn't get hands on at all) but he was isolated in the slot vs McLaurin - that's acceptable for your 5th corner - in fact i think i say well done to him for managing to be close enough not to concede the TD on that play

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
I'm wondering why Harrison didn't get much playing time, even when Queen went out.

In the D article, Ken speculates that Queen is struggling to line up properly, so they need Fort out there to help him.

Good to see Lamar shake off the funk he was in last week. I think it's time to give duvernay a chance, Boykin just isn't developing a connection with Lamar. Run game needs to get going, I don't know why we can't get any big runs until the 4th. Defense played well but could have been better I felt. Overall good win and on to the bengals

should be our backup qb

He routinely throws warmup passes to the receivers pregame. Jackson and RG3 take half, Koch and Cox take the other.

Been saying this about Gus, he looks like he should be the 1 given how Ingram has played. We need to get him caught up on how to pass protect.

I think they treated him like the 1 (or maybe 1a) yesterday. Led the team in carries, led RBs in snaps (Ricard technically had more, but he's a FB, and he lined up at TE at least 3 times). Ingram got the start, but they immediately put Edwards in for the next 4 snaps.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think they treated him like the 1 (or maybe 1a) yesterday. Led the team in carries, led RBs in snaps (Ricard technically had more, but he's a FB, and he lined up at TE at least 3 times). Ingram got the start, but they immediately put Edwards in for the next 4 snaps.

so maybe a bit like the brandon carr starter streak that we kept alive last year despite the fact he was most definitely not the starter

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
Bounce back week.

Lots of stuff to work on. No signature game yet for this team but well ground out win.

Running game is a problem - the texans 4th quarter and the 4th quarter this week against washington have massaged our running totals but through the vast majority of this season, the running game has not been working efficiently outside of the occasional Lamar chunk play.

Queen was everywhere. Good sign of things to come

Yesterday wasn't great. 7 carries for 18 yards in Q1, 4 for 57 in Q2 (includes Lamar's 50 yard TD), 5 for 15 in Q3, 11 for 44 in Q4. It's definitely not there yet.

dont agree with this at all... not seen anyone run on this front since the browns in week 1

To back this up, WFT averaged 3.1 YPC yesterday. KC averaged 3.9. HOU 2.8. So uh, yea. It also turns out that the Browns can run on everyone, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯....

Pernell McPhee has been the unsung hero so far - hasnt had much in the way of pass rush but has consistently dominated in the run game - ive seen him lose contain maybe once all year and has collapsed running plays consistently all year

idk what his playing time split between running downs and passing downs is but my guess is it leans towards running downs a bit more this year - he's been playing less than 50% of the snaps which is a good sign - in only 1 game did he see more than 50% which is also good in terms of his usage

I don't have week 4 snaps yet, but he was on the field for 97 snaps in weeks 1-3. 6 of these were penalties (so I don't know the play type). 24 were runs. The other 67 were dropbacks (57 attempts, 5 sacks, 4 scrambles, 1 spike).

Gus can pass protect - last year especially he did a lot of pass pro - he's such a big physical back that he has more of a chance of neutralising blitzing defenders too but he's clearly 3rd choice on 3rd down right now

what gus doesnt really offer is a receiving aspect to his game but all 4 of our RBs offer a useful skillset on 3rd down

but gus is clearly also our best RB (of the 2 that are actually getting carries right now) between the tackles and we know he's great on zone-read plays because even if the defender doesn't get fully taken out of the play by the mesh point he likely breaks the arm tackle

Regarding Gus in pass protection, he had a solid snap to open Q2 yesterday. 54 beats him off the line, but 35 recovers quickly and walls him off from Lamar. Jackson missed Hollywood deep, but Gus bought him the time to take the shot.

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
so maybe a bit like the brandon carr starter streak that we kept alive last year despite the fact he was most definitely not the starter

That's the comparison that I thought of as well.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
In the D article, Ken speculates that Queen is struggling to line up properly, so they need Fort out there to help him.
Makes sense that you don't want 2 rookies out there. Maybe they felt Board was more prepared than Harrison when Queen went out?

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Maybe they wanted to sub Board because Harrison hasn't played mlb yet?
Didn't he play week 1? Thought I remembered seeing more of him earlier this season and it just stood out to me that he didn't replace Queen.

Or are you saying he and Fort play the same linebacker position? I don't really know the difference between those 2 spots.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Didn't he play week 1? Thought I remembered seeing more of him earlier this season and it just stood out to me that he didn't replace Queen.

Or are you saying he and Fort play the same linebacker position? I don't really know the difference between those 2 spots.
I don't know which linebacker combinations we've seen so far, but Harrison (in our scheme) hasn't played the same exact position as Queen.
Or maybe it could also be that this depended on the formations we used when Queens went out.

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
I don't know which linebacker combinations we've seen so far, but Harrison (in our scheme) hasn't played the same exact position as Queen.
Or maybe it could also be that this depended on the formations we used when Queens went out.

I don't have data for this week yet, but I have 297 snaps between Board, Fort, Harrison, and Queen through week 3.
  • Queen: 143
  • Fort: 92
  • Harrison: 43
  • Board: 19
I have the Ravens with 207 defensive snaps. By number of ILB (considering only 4 players above):
  • None: 34
  • One: 56
  • Two: 110
  • Three: 7
The triple ILB snaps (all against CLE) always had Board and Queen. Harrison took the first 2, and Fort the last 5.

The double ILB snaps break down like this:
  • Queen + Fort: 59
  • Queen + Harrison: 36
  • Fort + Board: 10
  • Harrison + Fort: 5
I can get into more detail here (breaking it down by game) if interested. There's nothing that obviously stands out to me (maybe adding the fourth game will help). Harrison+Fort snaps all came vs. KC. Harrison+Queen snaps have dropped consistently, while both Queen+Fort and Fort+Board snaps have increased.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Harrison+Queen snaps have dropped consistently

this is what ive noticed and my guess is you'll see that even more after the week 4 game

it's the first game where Harrison was outsnapped by Board at ILB

unless it's purely about having some vet experience on the field to help line up the middle of the defence (and Queen in particular) as Ken postulates, I have to say it's trending in the wrong direction for Harrison and I can't say I've noticed anything particularly glaring from him that would suggest he has earned a reduction in snaps - especially in week 1 he was showing everything that we could have predicted - coming downhill like a freight train, crushing pullers and having a decent feel in zone coverage and using his wingspan to his advantage in that aspect to make up for being less quick than Queen

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Son has the mentality of a winner. You have no idea how bad I want this kid to win and it isn't because he is a Raven.
I second this comment of the highest order. Winning a Super Bowl isn't enough, I want him to play well in it too. I will then gleefully watch his critics, haters, and Chiefs fans alike squirm and reach and make the lamest excuses possible.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
this is what ive noticed and my guess is you'll see that even more after the week 4 game

it's the first game where Harrison was outsnapped by Board at ILB

unless it's purely about having some vet experience on the field to help line up the middle of the defence (and Queen in particular) as Ken postulates, I have to say it's trending in the wrong direction for Harrison and I can't say I've noticed anything particularly glaring from him that would suggest he has earned a reduction in snaps - especially in week 1 he was showing everything that we could have predicted - coming downhill like a freight train, crushing pullers and having a decent feel in zone coverage and using his wingspan to his advantage in that aspect to make up for being less quick than Queen
He and queen both looked particularly bad against the chiefs, but it seems as if half of Reid’s gameplan was to have those guys flailing about with no clue where to go, other than that I haven’t seen anything suggesting Harrison needs a reduction, i mean LJ Fort has certainly outplayed him as that classic mike type, but Harrison wasn’t necessarily bad at any point outside of week 3