• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good (?), the Bad and the Ugly: Week 4 Edition

RayRayRaven

Veteran
While I applaud Flacco for holding himself accountable, I (well I think everyone does) want him to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. DON'T JUST TALK THAT SHIT, BE ABOUT IT! With this "offensive line," I doubt our production on offense will improve much as the season progresses. Once this offseason starts (can't believe I'm talking about this this early in the season), Oz better make this about offense all offseason long.

cept at this point oz is a 'one trick' pony and he is like 65 yrs old. ya cant teach an old dog new tricks. if oz is still callin draft shots next year god help us.

But that doesn't tell me who you wanted from Philly.

With regards to Lamp, I wanted him, too, but Lamp would have played center, in all likelihood, and as it turns out, the Ravens were right in their decision to not draft a center as Jensen has actually done well.

If you want to know more go read through the oline topic, also Lamp and Jensen can play any interior position so both would have been starting.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
While I applaud Flacco for holding himself accountable, I (well I think everyone does) want him to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. DON'T JUST TALK THAT SHIT, BE ABOUT IT! With this "offensive line," I doubt our production on offense will improve much as the season progresses. Once this offseason starts (can't believe I'm talking about this this early in the season), Oz better make this about offense all offseason long.
I don't disagree. But I think it's gonna happen eventually.

Currently it looks pretty bleak though. Not gonna lie

The issue with criticizing the lack of moves along the offensive line is that there was no reason to address the offensive line so heavily.

We know Jensen is a pretty decent starter. The front office predicted that and made the correct call in determining not seeking more help for a center. Between Urschel and Jensen, one would win and be a pretty decent starter. Then, the other is a really quality top backup along the three interior backup spots.

At tackle, the Ravens did make a move for Austin Howard and I think it was the right move. Sure, he's not playing great and he's a little uneven, but he's been alright. Thought the first two weeks were okay and the past two are the ones that are slipping. Anyway, by signing Howard, you have Stanley (who closed out the end of the season on a tear) and Howard as the starters and Hurst as your swingman and we know that Hurst looked okay in the preseason.

Realistically, the Ravens were pretty set with a line of Stanley-Lewis-Jensen-Yanda-Howard. Is it great? Not at all. Is it serviceable? Absolutely. Then, as backups, you have Hurst, Urschel, and Siragusa as your primary backups and it actually looks okay.

At what point do you ever expect to lose Urschel, Siragusa, Yanda, and Lewis? You just lost two starters and two of your primary backups. Tell me at what point an offensive line predicts the loss of four players and plans accordingly for it.
If you wanted to criticize Ozzie for the OL, the legit place you can hold him accountable for is for what happened at LG by relying on Lewis and not upgrading, but even at that the move to rely on Lewis at the time was the right decision as he was a guy who made the Ravens a better unit at LG to go along with his solid pass blocking. How can you legit plan for what happened to the interior of our line? Lol, and it's obvious now that Williams over Wagner was the absolute right decision as now people see the importance that Williams shoulder with the way our run D has preformed.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If you wanted to criticize Ozzie for the OL, the legit place you can hold him accountable for is for what happened at LG by relying on Lewis and not upgrading, but even at that the move to rely on Lewis at the time was the right decision as he was a guy who made the Ravens a better unit at LG to go along with his solid pass blocking. How can you legit plan for what happened to the interior of our line? Lol, and it's obvious now that Williams over Wagner was the absolute right decision as now people see the importance that Williams shoulder with the way our run D has preformed.
I was always behind signing BWill over Wagner. Especially knowing that we were switching to a power gap scheme, which Wagner wouldn't have fit at all. It's quite obvious the importance BWill has in our run defense and he does apply plent of pressure as a 3 Tech. I'm hoping he comes back very soon.

I'm not taking anything away from Wagner as a player as both were top players at their respective positions.

I was always behind signing BWill over Wagner. Especially knowing that we were switching to a power gap scheme, which Wagner wouldn't have fit at all. It's quite obvious the importance BWill has in our run defense and he does apply plent of pressure as a 3 Tech. I'm hoping he comes back very soon.
Yeah, I was against the decision at first but came to accept it after it was clear we were not going to let go of BW, if fans did not know just how important he is to the middle of the defense before, they surely do now.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Good: Hanging out with my wife in Baltimore

The Bad: Driving up 4 hrs from Chesapeake, VA and spending some paper to witness that b.s. the Ravens put on the field today!

The Ugly: The same old thing it is week after week - THE OFFENSE!

Sure, the defense struggled again BUT led by that bum Flacco, this offense does absolutely NOTHING significant or praise worthy.

Scrape the whole lot of'em and start over! Damn! :blobfire::mad:

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
The good : I didn't break my remote or throw anything while watching this game.
* The team finally showed us some effort in the 3rd quarter.
*Held A.Brown in check although it didn't help us win.

The Bad : Alex Collins fumbling is going to ruin the only good thing we've seen offensively, which is bad.

The Ugly: This defense gave up 173 rushing yards, 144 yards to L.Bell. Basically that first drive they had was equivalent to that Bengals game drive we had a clock-killer and deflating drive.
T.West looks worse than B.Pierce before he was cut.

The expected: Maybe its poor camera work by CBS but with every throw I felt like "oh no that's an interception " to my surprise in the third quarter many of them were completions into tight spots until well he throws one right to them.
I think it's like 10 straight games with an INT thrown, and that's just terrible considering we don't even throw down field much.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Do you guys think if a guy like B.Pollard or B.Scott were in the lockeroom that they wouldn't have taken harbaugh to task by now?
oh wait, that's why we let scott and pollard go.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Jump? He got about half an inch off the ground
Yeah, couldn't pull Baltimore Sun from under his feet but it looked to me that he again went inside while Flacco was throwing out. Could not jump much better while trying to change direction. Question is who didn't do the right thing.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
A positive to me was the play of ZDS and Willie Henry, I thought those two brought the most pressure on Ben.

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
They'll find a way to somehow win 5 games or so to make it a mediocre season and they'll blame it on the injuries. Everybody's job is safe.

Tank

Hall of Famer
That was an awful pass and even after the jump it was on the tip of his fingers. That was all on flacco
You need to re watch it, he didn't "jump", even an inch. In fact he drug his feet as if he were at the sideline trying to stay in bounds, kinda weird actually. Not a great pass, ball was a bit high but not grossly overthrown and definitely catchable.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
it's sad but this team needs a top 4 pick like no other. Whats the point of a 7-9 or a 8-8 season? basically miss out on the best prospects for what?

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
You need to re watch it, he didn't "jump", even an inch. In fact he drug his feet as if he were at the sideline trying to stay in bounds, kinda weird actually. Not a great pass, ball was a bit high but not grossly overthrown and definitely catchable.
He didn't jump because the pass was behind him and he had to turn around and reach it.

K-Dog

MVP
Yeah, couldn't pull Baltimore Sun from under his feet but it looked to me that he again went inside while Flacco was throwing out. Could not jump much better while trying to change direction. Question is who didn't do the right thing.

The answer is Both.

arnie_uk

Veteran
He didn't jump because the pass was behind him and he had to turn around and reach it.
I can jump turn and reach and im not a professional athlete. The pass was off, but watch another game and you see wide outs catch those off balls often.

Wallace's drop was off as well but still should have been caught.

Unless flacco hits out guys between the numbers the get dropped.

In the garbage drive at the end of the game perriman dropped another and camp dropped a td in the endzone

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I can jump turn and reach and im not a professional athlete. The pass was off, but watch another game and you see wide outs catch those off balls often.

Wallace's drop was off as well but still should have been caught.

Unless flacco hits out guys between the numbers the get dropped.

In the garbage drive at the end of the game perriman dropped another and camp dropped a td in the endzone
When you're running in one direction, you can't jump in the other directions. It's pure science, I don't even know how it's a debate.