• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Quarterback thread

Needs to show that much, much, much more consistently than he did over his 11 years. He is just average QB who had amazing SB run in 2012/13 and played well some games here and there. Top 10 he isn't.
Yup and not to mention his mechanics have completely nose dived in the last 3 seasons or so. The team can no longer wait for him.

UKRaven

Practice Squad
Needs to show that much, much, much more consistently than he did over his 11 years. He is just average QB who had amazing SB run in 2012/13 and played well some games here and there. Top 10 he isn't.

Agreed!
Last year in particular I accept that with Flacco starting the year injured and the supporting cast being awful it wasn't all on him. But his mechanics and decisions in general have been so poor in recent years for me.

I like the idea of giving him as many playmakers as we can get and with Urban working with Joe getting him out off bad habits, equally though if Lamar is at 16 and Eric, Ozzie and co feel he is a franchise QB then go get him, there is WR and TE depth in rounds 2,3 4 etc.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Drafting a quarterback in round one, particularly someone like Jackson will generate interest and perhaps re-invigorate the fan base and sell tickets.

If we take him, it is likely a thorough re-vamp offensively over the next two years. If Jackson is one of several play makers, home run hitting types that coordinators have to account for, he becomes that much more a weapon.

There is so much I see that he needs to improve as a passer but I can't help but notice that he appears to be pretty much THE offense at Louisville. It doesn't have to be the case here: particularly if DeCosta has a clear vision of the skill position players he would put around him.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Drafting a quarterback in round one, particularly someone like Jackson will generate interest and perhaps re-invigorate the fan base and sell tickets.

If we take him, it is likely a thorough re-vamp offensively over the next two years. If Jackson is one of several play makers, home run hitting types that coordinators have to account for, he becomes that much more a weapon.

There is so much I see that he needs to improve as a passer but I can't help but notice that he appears to be pretty much THE offense at Louisville. It doesn't have to be the case here: particularly if DeCosta has a clear vision of the skill position players he would put around him.
sell tickets, they basically have all of the PSL's sold. Selling tickets is not the problem

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Is nobody finding it weird that the qb with the best tape isn’t really attached to any of the teams in the top 5 publicly?

I’m starting to wonder if these top teams really love him and just don’t want to give anything away

Or it suggests to me that trash organisations will stay trash and make mistakes because they don’t think their organisations are “the right fit” for Rosen (who’s probably the most intelligent and interesting personality to enter the league, especially at qb, for a long long time)

Simba

Staff Member
Is nobody finding it weird that the qb with the best tape isn’t really attached to any of the teams in the top 5 publicly?

I’m starting to wonder if these top teams really love him and just don’t want to give anything away

Or it suggests to me that trash organisations will stay trash and make mistakes because they don’t think their organisations are “the right fit” for Rosen (who’s probably the most intelligent and interesting personality to enter the league, especially at qb, for a long long time)

I saw a report the other day that the reason Rosen isn't getting as much play with Darnold, Allen, and Mayfield is that teams think he may be maxed out as a player already. I don't personally see it that way and I think teams are making a big mistake if they let him fall too far. He does have an interesting personality and might be a bit of an "asshole" but so is Aaron Rodgers and that's working out just fine. I think Rosen and the Giants are a match made in heaven, but it doesn't look like it's trending that way right now.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor

Let’s just hope they’re all stupid and let him fall to 16 lol

But in reality it’s probably teams being careful not to give away their intentions.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
If Rosen fell to 16 the Ravens could get a king's ransom for him. Multiple first round picks from playoff teams that need a qb or have a really old one.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If Rosen fell to 16 the Ravens could get a king's ransom for him. Multiple first round picks from playoff teams that need a qb or have a really old one.
at that point, I'd draft him and never look back, but yes they absolutely could get a kings ransom.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I saw a report the other day that the reason Rosen isn't getting as much play with Darnold, Allen, and Mayfield is that teams think he may be maxed out as a player already. I don't personally see it that way and I think teams are making a big mistake if they let him fall too far. He does have an interesting personality and might be a bit of an "asshole" but so is Aaron Rodgers and that's working out just fine. I think Rosen and the Giants are a match made in heaven, but it doesn't look like it's trending that way right now.

I just think if teams think he’s an asshole then they need to get new people in the building - he is curious and asks questions because he wants to know why things work so that he can be better at executing and he has outside interests - it shouldn’t scare teams that he’s an independent thinker who’s honest - he’s refreshing and I’m going to enjoy watching him no matter what team he’s on

Simba

Staff Member
I just think if teams think he’s an asshole then they need to get new people in the building - he is curious and asks questions because he wants to know why things work so that he can be better at executing and he has outside interests - it shouldn’t scare teams that he’s an independent thinker who’s honest - he’s refreshing and I’m going to enjoy watching him no matter what team he’s on

Oh I agree for the most part. I do think he's an "asshole" of sorts but not enough where I wouldn't want the guy leading my team.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
The newest thing I've read: ppl are concerned Rosen's already maxed out and relies only on his talent. Can't help those media scouts, same mistake over and over again.
They rather want to find the next Wentz or Prescott. I wonder if those who had been wrong on Wentz, could be high on Allen.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
The newest thing I've read: ppl are concerned Rosen's already maxed out and relies only on his talent. Can't help those media scouts, same mistake over and over again.
They rather want to find the next Wentz or Prescott. I wonder if those who had been wrong on Wentz, could be high on Allen.
I don’t think anyone cares to find the next Prescott.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

there's some media hesitancy around rosen because it seems they are all hearing a lot of things from coaching staffs that dont like his attitude necessarily and think he's a pain - but they have to weigh that against some of the dinosaurs who are still coaching in the league for some reason

rosen's an independent thinker who embodies a lot of the characteristics that a lot of the old-timer coaches who are just about holding on to their jobs (for some reason) hate - i think its telling that the best "old" coordinators are themselves independent thinkers and that almost all of the best coordinators and coaches in the league are innovative thinkers about the game - id suspect strongly that none of those innovative thinkers are going to see any problems with rosen

let's be honest, rosen has the best tape of all the qbs, its not like he's weak armed either - his arm doesnt pop off film like allen and darnolds but what's undersold is that rosen had the best downfield passing of any qb in college last year - the only thing that is supposedly holding him back is his character

but im not sure how sold i am on that idea

the only thing i can legitimately see worrying teams with any sense is his history of a couple of concussions and slightly narrower frame - that's it - he's the closest thing ive seen to an andrew luck type grade on a qb since luck

DJ himself seems to be criticising him for his lack of off-script success but as much as that helps and as much as the position has changed the bread and butter of the league is still in rhythm, in the pocket, almost monotonous quarterbacking a la tom brady, peyton manning, phillip rivers, drew brees, big ben (who's improved since he stopped relying on escapability), matt ryan, matthew stafford, jimmy g, kirk cousins and more...

all of these guys may do flashy things but they are at their best and most difficult to defend when they are in rhythm in the pocket being almost boring

we'll see which organisations are the trash organisations by how many teams pass on rosen

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don’t think anyone cares to find the next Prescott.
What I meant was finding a mid to late round starting QB. Not a Prescott like Qb per se. They just want to be the first to find an unpopular/off the radar type of player