• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Quarterback thread

Simba

Staff Member
His peoduction says otherwise. You dont bring Jackson in to learn your offense, you bring Jackson in and build an offense around him like the Texans did with Watson. Keep it simple

From the Ravens perspective, do you really expect that to happen with the staff we have in place now? That's why I have concerns about him. I think it'll take certain teams/coaches to maximize him and I worry that if we do happen to take him, his development will be stalled by various factors.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
From the Ravens perspective, do you really expect that to happen with the staff we have in place now? That's why I have concerns about him. I think it'll take certain teams/coaches to maximize him and I worry that if we do happen to take him, his development will be stalled by various factors.
Yet we developed Tyrod Taylor. Who knows maybe it isnt the coaches and it really is all Flacco, and Greg Roman is already familiar with mobile QBs so i dont think coaching fit is an issue here

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I seriously doubt we take a QB in the first, but we did just get a new QB coach. The team could be setting things up to be able to develop a young QB. Probably not a first rounder though.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Lamar Jackson just doesn't scream quarterback at me. Seems like he should be a Braxton Miller situation, but he insists on quarterback.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If we do happen to draft a qb this yr, having James Urban will be the best move we made in the offseason. Then again, even if we don’t draft a qb he’s was a terrific signing.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Honestly if we draft Lamar I'd be all over this move. What an offense we could build around him. His supporting cast was atrocious at Louisville, and I'm nice.
James Urban, Marty have both created potent offense around mobile QBs and Roman would give him some beautiful schemes like he has for Kaep.
He'll need a lot of work on his mechanics, pocket presence and ability to read defenses, but Urban can teach him that.
Developp him year one while building a credible supporting cast and year two could be huge.

Honestly if we draft Lamar I'd be all over this move. What an offense we could build around him. His supporting cast was atrocious at Louisville, and I'm nice.
James Urban, Marty have both created potent offense around mobile QBs and Roman would give him some beautiful schemes like he has for Kaep.
He'll need a lot of work on his mechanics, pocket presence and ability to read defenses, but Urban can teach him that.
Developp him year one while building a credible supporting cast and year two could be huge.
same

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't want an early qb, but if Lamar is there then I would completely understand drafting him. I really think he could end up being on the same level as Wilson.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
2 weeks till the draft and im starting to feel like Lamar Jackson is gonna be the pick. If you connect the dots it makes too much sense. Either that or the Ravens are amazing at creating smoke screen

rossihunter2

Staff Member
2 weeks till the draft and im starting to feel like Lamar Jackson is gonna be the pick. If you connect the dots it makes too much sense. Either that or the Ravens are amazing at creating smoke screen

yeah there's so much speculation that he's a potential raven right now that you've got to think that the ravens are at least partially supporting that narrative because its not the most obvious pick - you have to think the ravens really want other teams to know/think we like him - maybe to force teams to jump ahead of us to take him and push other better players back to us or even to convince other teams to trade with us at 16 to take him

either that or its complete media speculation because the ravens are historically one of the tighter-lipped franchises with regards to info leaking - so either its pure speculation or its a ravens-fed narrative which means that there's likely some subterfuge going on

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I think hearing Biscotti talk in his presser earlier on when he said Flacco's job is safe was spot on. He sounded like Harbaugh was on the hot seat but Flacco will likely be throwing balls for the Ravens for the next 3-4 years. I support Flacco and think the team needs to surround him with talent to succeed.

I wouldn't totally hate using the 16th pick on a quarterback but he is only 33. And for most quarterbacks that are franchise quarterbacks playing up until their late 30's now I really think that the team is 2-3 years out. I know this is one of the 'deeper' quarterback classes we have seen for awhile but next year also shows a few good quarterbacks as well.

To me I really think the team still goes McGlinchey, Ridley, or a defensive player that drops.

I think hearing Biscotti talk in his presser earlier on when he said Flacco's job is safe was spot on. He sounded like Harbaugh was on the hot seat but Flacco will likely be throwing balls for the Ravens for the next 3-4 years. I support Flacco and think the team needs to surround him with talent to succeed.

I wouldn't totally hate using the 16th pick on a quarterback but he is only 33. And for most quarterbacks that are franchise quarterbacks playing up until their late 30's now I really think that the team is 2-3 years out. I know this is one of the 'deeper' quarterback classes we have seen for awhile but next year also shows a few good quarterbacks as well.

To me I really think the team still goes McGlinchey, Ridley, or a defensive player that drops.
Bisciotti can say what he wants but unless flacco improves drastically I highly doubt he is this team's QB past the 2018 season. He just isn't good value. With the depth at the position in the draft, QB will absolutely be in play for 16.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Bisciotti can say what he wants but unless flacco improves drastically I highly doubt he is this team's QB past the 2018 season. He just isn't good value. With the depth at the position in the draft, QB will absolutely be in play for 16.

idk - if he plays well i imagine we'd keep him at least until the 2019 season where we get to keep him an extra year and by playing that extra year we end up taking on only 8mill in dead money - we would save 20m in stead of just under 10m - obviously a post-june 1st designation would split the dead money but if he plays well next year to be a good qb again (which isnt an unreasonable possibility) then i dont see why we wouldnt keep him through 2019 too...

i think 2019 is the major decision point - his cap spikes up to 28m and just before the new CBA so we'd have to look at extending him or cutting him that offseason based on play

obviously if he's bad then we cut him after the 2018 season but there's no reason to get rid of him if he plays well

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
What's intriguing with the idea of drafting Lamar is how perfect the environement we've set up is for him, with no less than 3 coaches with experience coaching dual threats, and the dual threat QB who's shown the most success (albeit in a very short sample) as the back up.