• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Running Game, The Lamar and The Ronnie

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Look at the third and five where Lamar tucked it and ran. He had Dobbins and Snead right infront of him with space. Lamar's ability to run is a curse. He freaks out and goes to his instinct. you pass that ball and you get at worse a 4th and 1. I'm done with his shit. Anytime it matters and he doesnt have a 40 point lead, he melts down and reverts to sloppy shitty side arm throws and scrambles after giving one player a stare. That play drove me through the roof.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Look at the third and five where Lamar tucked it and ran. He had Dobbins and Snead right infront of him with space. Lamar's ability to run is a curse. He freaks out and goes to his instinct. you pass that ball and you get at worse a 4th and 1. I'm done with his shit. Anytime it matters and he doesnt have a 40 point lead, he melts down and reverts to sloppy shitty side arm throws and scrambles after giving one player a stare. That play drove me through the roof.

it's odd because that was not his instinct last year at all

Simba

Staff Member
we never even got to see the humphrey one either too
the bonds one was a call i really did not like at all

Side note that I thought Bonds actually played pretty well except for the one where he thought Ebron dropped it and then just casually glided away from the play. He's a feisty little player.

Reactions: cdp

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
This loss is completely on Lamar. Just for this season, I'm losing A LOT of patience with him. He's regressing to rookie Lamar where I don't feel comfortable every time he drops back to pass.

The reality is that Lamar's novelty from last season has worn off! No one is surprised by him this season! Teams have found ways to neutralize his strength of running the football for huge gains by reducing him to prove to the defense that he can make the proper reads, find and then accurately throw the football to the open receiver for huge gains. He is struggling with that in his 3rd season as a QB.

The NFL stage (i.e. bouncing back from throwing picks, fumbles and playing from behind to win the game etc.) is starting to look to big for him IMO. I hate to say that but that is what it looks like to me. :eyes: :cool:

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Also, I believe we had 2 or 3 more illegal formation penalties? Like these are some really easy things to not do, and we still continue to shoot ourselves in the foot on those.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Side note that I thought Bonds actually played pretty well except for the one where he thought Ebron dropped it and then just casually glided away from the play. He's a feisty little player.

yeah was surprising especially given he was playing mostly in the slot where i assumed khalil dorsey would be higher on the depth chart but clearly not

you'd expect him to replace stanley on the 53 this week

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Also, I believe we had 2 or 3 more illegal formation penalties? Like these are some really easy things to not do, and we still continue to shoot ourselves in the foot on those.
I do remember one when Snead would have made a nice play. I don't know if Snead was early or Andrews late because you can't 2 players simultaneously in motion.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The reality is that Lamar's novelty from last season has worn off! No one is surprised by him this season! Teams have found ways to neutralize his strength of running the football for huge gains by reducing him to prove to the defense that he can make the proper reads, find and then accurately throw the football to the open receiver for huge gains. He is struggling with that in his 3rd season as a QB.

The NFL stage (i.e. bouncing back from throwing picks, fumbles and playing from behind to win the game etc.) is starting to look to big for him IMO. I hate to say that but that is what it looks like to me. :eyes: :cool:
I mean... i can't say the "bouncing back" concept was a problem today. We largely rallied from those turnovers.
We scored a TD immediately after Lamar's early pick six
Defense held after his fumble and we had a long TD drive two drives later
He mounted a strong drive to end the game after being stopped on 4th down prior to that.

Today I don't think it was being able to bounce back from adversity. I think it was the adversity itself. You just can't turn the ball over 4 times against a 6-0 divisional rival and expect to win. Can work against the Jets or worse teams, but not this team. The fumble inside the 10 yard line cost us at least 3 points. Second INT puts them in FG range and they get a TD.

At a minimum, his poor decision making cost the team a net of at least 12 points. One resulted in a PIT TD, one would have resulted in at least a PIT FG (actually became a TD) and the other cost the Ravens at least a FG.

You can't give wrap a net of 12 points to an undefeated opponent.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm not giving up on Lamar but man hes making it hard for me to defend him at this point. This L is on him and if we want to make a run in January that's ALL on him

Simba

Staff Member
yeah was surprising especially given he was playing mostly in the slot where i assumed khalil dorsey would be higher on the depth chart but clearly not

you'd expect him to replace stanley on the 53 this week

Does make you wonder who the new backup T is. Would imagine maybe Holden gets the call for 2 weeks before they have to decide but the options on the market are pretty bleh, which is completely unsurprising.

LSURavenFan

Veteran
This was Lamar's worst game since the Charger playoff loss. I'd call the KC/CLE/TEN losses as team losses more than due to the QB. It was bound to happen at some point.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean... i can't say the "bouncing back" concept was a problem today. We largely rallied from those turnovers.
We scored a TD immediately after Lamar's early pick six
Defense held after his fumble and we had a long TD drive two drives later
He mounted a strong drive to end the game after being stopped on 4th down prior to that.

Today I don't think it was being able to bounce back from adversity. I think it was the adversity itself. You just can't turn the ball over 4 times against a 6-0 divisional rival and expect to win. Can work against the Jets or worse teams, but not this team. The fumble inside the 10 yard line cost us at least 3 points. Second INT puts them in FG range and they get a TD.

At a minimum, his poor decision making cost the team a net of at least 12 points. One resulted in a PIT TD, one would have resulted in at least a PIT FG (actually became a TD) and the other cost the Ravens at least a FG.

You can't give wrap a net of 12 points to an undefeated opponent.
While the picks are certainly on Lamar , why are we calling plays with throws to the outside , which is Lamar’s weakest area ???

Dumb play calls , especially the last pick.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Reactions: cdp