• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Running Game, The Lamar and The Ronnie

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
As awful as today was, and as terrible as it still feels. I like us flying under the radar. We have so much talent. We are much better than we played today. It reminds me of the chiefs last year. Let the Steelers and Chiefs take the headlines. I hate the spotlight

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
on the upside, boykin got something going, so that was cool and im not looking forward to him next week running a comeback while lamar goes down the sideline with one.

even bigger upside, dobbins was a monster and so was gus, if they dont start pounding the rock with those 2 after seeing this then im starting a fire-someone train.

more upside, ferguson and bowser were stellar this week, ngakoue didnt get home but was bringing a lot of pressure, queen had another very good performance.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
on the upside, boykin got something going, so that was cool and im not looking forward to him next week running a comeback while lamar goes down the sideline with one.

even bigger upside, dobbins was a monster and so was gus, if they dont start pounding the rock with those 2 after seeing this then im starting a fire-someone train.

more upside, ferguson and bowser were stellar this week, ngakoue didnt get home but was bringing a lot of pressure, queen had another very good performance.

ferguson's starting to be physically dominant at the LoS - still not sure about his pass rushing but he's got the potential to be special as an edge setter in the running game and if he's on the field with the rest of this unit he's going to get cleanup sacks just from not losing contain and squeezing the pocket

Simba

Staff Member
ferguson's starting to be physically dominant at the LoS - still not sure about his pass rushing but he's got the potential to be special as an edge setter in the running game and if he's on the field with the rest of this unit he's going to get cleanup sacks just from not losing contain and squeezing the pocket

And he's the only OLB actually under contract next year so you kind of have to see what you have in him. I'd never expect him to be any type of pass rush threat but I absolutely think he's developed into a usable rotation piece at this point, which is nice considering the flaws he had coming out of college.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
mcphee held a beautiful edge on a third down sweep to conner too, like you dont often see an edge set jump off the screen watching it live, this one did, it was like obnoxiously good lol.

but yeah, hes had a number of standout plays in the run game for weeks in a row now

rossihunter2

Staff Member
mcphee held a beautiful edge on a third down sweep to conner too, like you dont often see an edge set jump off the screen watching it live, this one did, it was like obnoxiously good lol.

but yeah, hes had a number of standout plays in the run game for weeks in a row now

the TFL that ferguson had was awesome - and it's something you're starting to see consistently on his tape - take on the puller, attack the block, control and find the football - he's not getting affected by pullers at all when they're sent to his edge

fundamentally very sound edge player in the running game - he's a physically dominant player

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I honestly dont feel like the sky is falling after this game. The defense looked good most of the time and the offense moved the ball very well. Lamar just blew it for us and that's it. Hes gotta get it fixed but I think theres at least more rhythm on offense now

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
defenceless receiver yeah - both harbs and lamar have called it out - said they didnt get an explanation from the officials because they just ran straight off the field

said they just want to see their guys protected

I agree with what rmcjacket said earlier: Fitzpatrick is making a play for the ball. He didn't play through the receiver, and he has a right to the space he's occupying (which Snead is coming into). If refs start flagging that contact, we might as well remove defenders from the field and set up cones.

Also, I believe we had 2 or 3 more illegal formation penalties? Like these are some really easy things to not do, and we still continue to shoot ourselves in the foot on those.

I do remember one when Snead would have made a nice play. I don't know if Snead was early or Andrews late because you can't 2 players simultaneously in motion.

2 formation fouls today: an illegal formation on Stanley (Q1, 11:04) on which he looks a bit too deep, and an illegal shift on Snead/Andrews (Q2, 01:09) which looked like Andrews was very lackadaisical moving from backfield to TE, so he wasn't set when Lamar sent Snead across. Lamar probably needs to notice that Andrews isn't set and be more patient.

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad

77 plays - targeted twice - says just about everything lol

I want to stress that it's a rough draft count, but yea, it's not going to be 30 snaps, so it explains plenty. And it's not like he was lined up across from Haden all game either (Lamar did not throw much to the outside right).

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I could give AF less about the division. If we win it again, cool. All I care about is getting in. Besides, I'd like to see what Lamar can do in a road playoff game.
I feel you. I learned after last year it doesnt matter fuck all what you've done in the regular season. All that matters is winning when it counts.

No loss will compare to that Titans game for me. That was utterly disappointing.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree with what rmcjacket said earlier: Fitzpatrick is making a play for the ball. He didn't play through the receiver, and he has a right to the space he's occupying (which Snead is coming into). If refs start flagging that contact, we might as well remove defenders from the field and set up cones.

yeah i saw the play later and came around - you could argue the defender on his back gets there early for DPI but the play's probably classed as a hail mary type where they just wont call the rule the same way but defenceless receiver probably is no case - fitzpatrick was going for the ball and didnt launch

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I want to stress that it's a rough draft count, but yea, it's not going to be 30 snaps, so it explains plenty. And it's not like he was lined up across from Haden all game either (Lamar did not throw much to the outside right).

the routes he was asked to run are going to be interesting to see - there's no way they couldn't manufacture a touch for him to get him the ball at some point

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
While the picks are certainly on Lamar , why are we calling plays with throws to the outside , which is Lamar’s weakest area ???

Dumb play calls , especially the last pick.
I mean... if you refuse to call pass plays to the outside because he's weak there, where do you throw the ball when teams just put 6-7 guys in the middle of the field?

He's not Peyton Manning with surgical levels of accuracy.

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
I'm not much of a film guy but I wonder how many time Hollywood was truly open during the game. No knock to him obviously but I would just like to see because I know Lamar favors him so I think it would be interesting. I do agree I would love to see him more involved

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

2 formation fouls today: an illegal formation on Stanley (Q1, 11:04) on which he looks a bit too deep, and an illegal shift on Snead/Andrews (Q2, 01:09) which looked like Andrews was very lackadaisical moving from backfield to TE, so he wasn't set when Lamar sent Snead across. Lamar probably needs to notice that Andrews isn't set and be more patient.
I think the Harbaugh and Ravens reaction to the non-flag has to come from a place of "real time reaction". Its the same as the holding call on Skura. In game speed, it has every criteria a ref is looking for in a hold. In slow mow, its ticky tack.

In game speed, that looks like a brutal, helmet hit on Snead. He goes down hard, the impact is harsh, etc. In slow motion, its absolutely just two players making a play on the ball colliding with each other.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Took the bait. And swallowed. He sucks though. The good teams have him figured out now.
I can't really say the Steelers "figured him out". If by figured him out, you mean dropping linebackers into coverage and praying he makes a mistake, then yes. I saw the Steelers decide to now allow Lamar to beat them with his legs, but then let literally everybody else beat them with their legs.

Teams aren't really figuring him out. He's just playing poorly on his own accord. I mean the whole game is basically two bad throws out of like 75+ plays. Otherwise the Steelers defense didn't really offer much resistance today.