• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The OL Thread

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
That was my thought. I think some of those guys getting that 3rd round grade could just as easily go in the 5th or 6th and no one would bat an eye. It's just a large group of average at best players, in my opinion.
You're right. It isn't going to get any better in coming years either, I'm afraid. College game killed the O line.

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
So Lance Zierlien on twitter says Wynn isnt going in the 1st - that seems crazy to me but if we can be the benefactors in the 2nd then ill be over the moon

that being said i think he's a top 16 player and would be fairly happy with him at 16 lol

It would certainly be good to trade back and get Wynn late in the first round.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
So Lance Zierlien on twitter says Wynn isnt going in the 1st - that seems crazy to me but if we can be the benefactors in the 2nd then ill be over the moon

that being said i think he's a top 16 player and would be fairly happy with him at 16 lol
It's always possible for guards to slide way further than they should. I can just imagine in a perfect world we trade back to grab Price to be our center for the next five years, and then up in the 2nd for Wynn to be our LG for the next four years. The middle of our line would utterly destroy defenses.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It's always possible for guards to slide way further than they should. I can just imagine in a perfect world we trade back to grab Price to be our center for the next five years, and then up in the 2nd for Wynn to be our LG for the next four years. The middle of our line would utterly destroy defenses.

but it seems to be wynn specifically rather than guards in general but who knows

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wynn, price, Daniels. If we get one of those center / guard with our 2nd, I would be happy.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't even agree with that really. I think there are a clear top few and it dips very quickly. I think you've got 3 good Ts, 4 good Gs, and 3 good Cs.
I agree with this. Prior to the forum mock, I thought the guard class was really good, but it’s only about four of them. Tackles are even worse. Anyway I learned fast that it’s a really thin class. Not saying they can’t develop, but when you need players right away, it’s not good.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

And there has been chatter of Ragnow going in the first. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

UKRaven

Practice Squad
Lance getting involved with our bold predictions saying Wynn wont be a 1st round pick. Just can't see it. I know G is not as high value to teams but he will be a 20s pick I am certain at the least

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Lance getting involved with our bold predictions saying Wynn wont be a 1st round pick. Just can't see it. I know G is not as high value to teams but he will be a 20s pick I am certain at the least
Didn't we say that about Lamp last year?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
on the other side to zierlein - eric galko thinks 8 OL are going in the first round (that seems bold to me):

"Currently, I’ve got 8 offensive linemen I expect to be first-round picks: 4 OTs, 3 OGs, 1 OC. We had 9 go in round one in 2013. This year could tie/top that. Ten in the first wouldn’t surprise me."

when asked for the 8:

"Still fluid to be honest. The three OGs, Daniels, McGlinchey, and everyone’s favorite Kolton are locks. After that, think two of Williams, O’Neill, Crosby, Price, Ragnow. Maybe more than 2."

it's an interesting counterpoint to the alternative view and i imagine best guess is that we end up somewhere in the middle...

i think the nelson, hernandez , mcglinchey and daniels are locks and maybe wynn isnt a lock but he should be... beyond that i think connor williams probably will go

so id say at least 6 OL are going in round 1 but both ways arent that far-fetched - and in both scenarios the ravens benefit in some way or other - either lots of OL are being reached on and better talent at other positions falls or no OL are going early and the ravens might be able to snag a good one in round 2...