• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The OL Thread

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
ive done some OL reevaluation and am finishing up the tape but i now have isaiah wynn as the 2nd best OL on my board ahead of mcglinchey which i wasnt expecting and while i think he projects best at guard i actually dont mind him at tackle
What about Connor Williams then?

And im not sure Wynn could play tackle. Thatd be way too tough, he has no length, i dont care how good his hand placement is.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What about Connor Williams then?

And im not sure Wynn could play tackle. Thatd be way too tough, he has no length, i dont care how good his hand placement is.

yeah the length is a problem for wynn but technically he has everything id want in a tackle and even the build is fine for a tackle the only thing is the length

i guess i see him being fine at tackle in a pinch like yanda but ideally on the inside

as for williams i guess i just dont like what i see from him as much - he was definitely better in 2016 and seemed to dropoff in 2017 (even before the knee problem) which worries me a bit - i dont like his technique or play strength in run blocking (unless he's sealing off in some sort of zone blocking scheme) although i like him when he gets to the 2nd level but too often i dont see him get much push on the defender in front of him and see him get pushed backwards too often

i like him vs speed rushers because he's so smooth on his kickstep (albeit while his first step is always good his 2nd and 3rd arent always as good) but his mirroring is really good - while his athleticism is good but i see a potential problem with his anchor and power - he's gonna be susceptible to the bull rush (and doesnt look big on tape either)

if i look at his 2017 tape i see a 2nd round tackle which is troubling - if im honest the only reason i have a first round grade on him is because he showed in 2016 that he was able to do a lot of the things that he was less good at in 2017 - that said he still looks undersized with only average length and strength despite his really good athleticism and i really am not sure that i trust him to transition effectively into the NFL

i kind of see him a little like a less powerful isaiah wynn with better length - he's a guy who i wish was bigger both in weight and length because the lack of weight and length is really visible on film - i wonder whether his best fit is as a guard in a zone-blocking system

he's my 5th rated OL and 2nd tackle at 20th on my board right now behind Nelson, Wynn, Mcglinchey and Hernandez

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
yeah the length is a problem for wynn but technically he has everything id want in a tackle and even the build is fine for a tackle the only thing is the length

i guess i see him being fine at tackle in a pinch like yanda but ideally on the inside

as for williams i guess i just dont like what i see from him as much - he was definitely better in 2016 and seemed to dropoff in 2017 (even before the knee problem) which worries me a bit - i dont like his technique or play strength in run blocking (unless he's sealing off in some sort of zone blocking scheme) although i like him when he gets to the 2nd level but too often i dont see him get much push on the defender in front of him and see him get pushed backwards too often

i like him vs speed rushers because he's so smooth on his kickstep (albeit while his first step is always good his 2nd and 3rd arent always as good) but his mirroring is really good - while his athleticism is good but i see a potential problem with his anchor and power - he's gonna be susceptible to the bull rush (and doesnt look big on tape either)

if i look at his 2017 tape i see a 2nd round tackle which is troubling - if im honest the only reason i have a first round grade on him is because he showed in 2016 that he was able to do a lot of the things that he was less good at in 2017 - that said he still looks undersized with only average length and strength despite his really good athleticism and i really am not sure that i trust him to transition effectively into the NFL

i kind of see him a little like a less powerful isaiah wynn with better length - he's a guy who i wish was bigger both in weight and length because the lack of weight and length is really visible on film - i wonder whether his best fit is as a guard in a zone-blocking system

he's my 5th rated OL and 2nd tackle at 20th on my board right now behind Nelson, Wynn, Mcglinchey and Hernandez
The only thing i would disagree with is probabky his play strength. I think he has better anchir than Mcglinchey at times but thats just cause Mike gets to tall at times. Mike just has little to no power in his punch

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The only thing i would disagree with is probabky his play strength. I think he has better anchir than Mcglinchey at times but thats just cause Mike gets to tall at times. Mike just has little to no power in his punch

i think you can improve a punch and fine tune its timing to make it better a lot easier than putting the pounds on williams - i too often see williams on skates a little bit in the run game and he often gets rocked back hard on the initial contact vs the bull rush (albeit he's become ok at recovering from that initial hit and loss of space) - i certainly dont see connor williams as being a successful right tackle - for me he's either moving inside or he's going to be lined up at left tackle but im not confident about his functionality at either spot

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think you can improve a punch and fine tune its timing to make it better a lot easier than putting the pounds on williams - i too often see williams on skates a little bit in the run game and he often gets rocked back hard on the initial contact vs the bull rush (albeit he's become ok at recovering from that initial hit and loss of space) - i certainly dont see connor williams as being a successful right tackle - for me he's either moving inside or he's going to be lined up at left tackle but im not confident about his functionality at either spot
When Williams hets put on skates like, you said, ive noticed its often because hes not able to get his hands on his target first, seems to be his biggest issue really is his arm length

rossihunter2

Staff Member
When Williams hets put on skates like, you said, ive noticed its often because hes not able to get his hands on his target first, seems to be his biggest issue really is his arm length

arm length and length in general - if he doesnt get a punch in i often find he's there for the taking and has to reach when other tackle prospects wouldnt have to - but i do also see him being underpowered and he takes too long to drop anchor vs the bull rush - one proviso is that he looked about 290lb in college but turned up at the combine at 314 (i think) whether he can play at that weight may well completely change his projection but to me he looks underpowered

but you're not wrong that the lack of arm length is a problem

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
arm length and length in general - if he doesnt get a punch in i often find he's there for the taking and has to reach when other tackle prospects wouldnt have to - but i do also see him being underpowered and he takes too long to drop anchor vs the bull rush - one proviso is that he looked about 290lb in college but turned up at the combine at 314 (i think) whether he can play at that weight may well completely change his projection but to me he looks underpowered

but you're not wrong that the lack of arm length is a problem
Speaking of guys who lack power but have all the other traits of a starting NFL tackle. Brian Oneal seems to have gotten swept under the rug. If hes there in the 3rd id love to have him here.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
do you think he'd be a fit in our power scheme though?

also lol - remember when kiper's first mock had him going to us at 16 haha
Ya haha, thats kinda why i brought him up. And according to Harbaugh hed be a great fit a gaurd lol. I think he can fit at RT for us but he has to get stronger. I think hed be fine especially considering most speed rushers line up over the RT and he probably has the best mirror ability in this class.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ya haha, thats kinda why i brought him up. And according to Harbaugh hed be a great fit a gaurd lol. I think he can fit at RT for us but he has to get stronger. I think hed be fine especially considering most speed rushers line up over the RT and he probably has the best mirror ability in this class.

where did harbs say that? i mean the entire projection to the nfl is based on the idea that he'd be able to put on the weight and that would add the requisite power without taking away from his athleticism - which to me is the reason he's probably going to fall that far because just how much of a projection his weight is and just how functionally and fundamentally important its going to be to his potential nfl career

it wouldnt surprise me if a team fell in love with him and he ended up going really a lot earlier than expected but i cant personally justify a grade higher than the 3rd really as a fit for the ravens and even then i wouldnt really expect him to make an impact in year 1 and im not sure the ravens really want another OL project especially when they have so many immediate needs including OL and he's a heavy-projection-based grade with a low floor

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
where did harbs say that? i mean the entire projection to the nfl is based on the idea that he'd be able to put on the weight and that would add the requisite power without taking away from his athleticism - which to me is the reason he's probably going to fall that far because just how much of a projection his weight is and just how functionally and fundamentally important its going to be to his potential nfl career

it wouldnt surprise me if a team fell in love with him and he ended up going really a lot earlier than expected but i cant personally justify a grade higher than the 3rd really as a fit for the ravens and even then i wouldnt really expect him to make an impact in year 1 and im not sure the ravens really want another OL project especially when they have so many immediate needs including OL and he's a heavy-projection-based grade with a low floor
Harbs just said we like athletic gaurds who can pull. Oneal is probably the best athlete of all olineman. Anyways, i quoted you in the random thought thread, tryin to talk Harold Landry. We could go top pass rusher at 16....never know

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Harbs just said we like athletic gaurds who can pull. Oneal is probably the best athlete of all olineman. Anyways, i quoted you in the random thought thread, tryin to talk Harold Landry. We could go top pass rusher at 16....never know

haha yeah i noticed- im just compiling my thoughts on landry - ill respond soon - he's one of the few "top" guys i havent seen all the film on yet along with derwin james and maybe da'ron payne so im just spamming some more film on him lol so that my opinion of him doesnt change 2 days after i answer lol

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
haha yeah i noticed- im just compiling my thoughts on landry - ill respond soon - he's one of the few "top" guys i havent seen all the film on yet along with derwin james and maybe da'ron payne so im just spamming some more film on him lol so that my opinion of him doesnt change 2 days after i answer lol
Haha i feel you. Voch lombardi did a pretty good breakdown of him. Its worth the watch