• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: Chicago

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Frankly that play would be blown up if Flacco were running it. He just doesn't have the ability to disguise or the athleticism.

I don't know if it's all him or OC but we can't execute wr screens for shit and I've been saying this since Cam was here.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
he doesnt shadow but they dont roll all the good receivers away from him on every snap
I know but if he's covering Rashard Higgins and Corey Coleman and whoever tf Jacksonville has and Tyler Boyd on more than half the snaps then that may factor in quite a bit. Now if he's shadowing aj green and Antonio brown and Allen hurns then quality of competition should skyrocket him to top 5, but he's not.

I'm just trying to find reasoning here lol

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Quality of competition could be a big factor. Pff goes real deep with their metrics, if he was facing average-below average WRs and weak qbs(which he has) then it may hurt his ranking.

Not sure, just a guess

weak qbs maybe but its not like he also hasnt faced brown/bryant, green and in limited play this week cooper/crabtree

I didn't know they did their grades like that but to his credit Antonio Brown and AJ Green are the top two receivers right now in the NFL and they gave him high remarks for his game against Jacksonville so it doesn't make sense to me how he's the #22 ranked CB, of course the QBs we've faced aren't that great.
The issue is he can't help who he faces and if they don't put Green, Brown, etc to his side, that's a testament to his skill.

I remember Sherman used to be their top rated guy when he exclusively played LCB in a division pre-Palmer when the Rams had Keenum. Can't hold quality of competition against him

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
For those who follow pff for info. Jimmy smith has only given up 69 yards, 0Tds and passer rating vs him is 30.5, yet pff has him ranked 22nd. No way 21 other cbs has a better stat line than that.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
The issue is he can't help who he faces and if they don't put Green, Brown, etc to his side, that's a testament to his skill.

I remember Sherman used to be their top rated guy when he exclusively played LCB in a division pre-Palmer when the Rams had Keenum. Can't hold quality of competition against him
I didnt even notice you guys were talking about this before i posted something similar

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
For those who follow pff for info. Jimmy smith has only given up 69 yards, 0Tds and passer rating vs him is 30.5, yet pff has him ranked 22nd. No way 21 other cbs has a better stat line than that.
That's insane. I understand why Ike «forgets» to mention him in his rankings but PFF? And just this week-end I saw a post on their Twitter mentionning he was top6 along with Carrr in several categories. So why 22 I can't understand.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Well if that's the case then it's clear bias against jimmy, that or there are legitimately 21 other shutdown corners this year

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I have to be honest though, if we don't have BWill we're going to suffer in this one. I hope we get an early lead and ride with it, it's been our key to victory.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Brandon Williams or not, if we can't beat a bad Bears team at home we're in trouble. They have a good D and run game but their WRs are worse than ours, we should dominate on D and do just enough on offense, hopefully we get some short fields.

This game is very winnable and we really can't afford to lose it with how tight the playoff picture will be

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
That's insane. I understand why Ike «forgets» to mention him in his rankings but PFF? And just this week-end I saw a post on their Twitter mentionning he was top6 along with Carrr in several categories. So why 22 I can't understand.
Last week Ike had Jimmy as #8 actually. I was surprised.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer

Well if that's the case then it's clear bias against jimmy, that or there are legitimately 21 other shutdown corners this year
Guys, I got it- it's because Jimmy is number 22, so he has to be ranked 22. Duh!

But in all seriousness, we have to remember PFF takes into account coverage, run defense, and penalty into their grades. Jimmy is far from his early run defender self, preferring to be clean up rather than head on attacking like Webb does. He's probably got run defense grades that are pretty weak. I'd be very surprised if his coverage grade weren't top 10.

As far as corners that could be better, I guess you could argue for players like Ramsey, Peters, Sherman (maybe), Talib, Harris Jr, Jenkins, Peterson, Norman, Rhodes, and Hayward. Off the top of my head, that's all I've got.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Guys, I got it- it's because Jimmy is number 22, so he has to be ranked 22. Duh!

But in all seriousness, we have to remember PFF takes into account coverage, run defense, and penalty into their grades. Jimmy is far from his early run defender self, preferring to be clean up rather than head on attacking like Webb does. He's probably got run defense grades that are pretty weak. I'd be very surprised if his coverage grade weren't top 10.

As far as corners that could be better, I guess you could argue for players like Ramsey, Peters, Sherman (maybe), Talib, Harris Jr, Jenkins, Peterson, Norman, Rhodes, and Hayward. Off the top of my head, that's all I've got.
Jimmy Smith is a top 5 corner and I will argue it until he is out of the league. ESPN had a whole segment last night talking about how Rhodes only has allowed 140 something yards on the season and how he is shutdown. Where as Jimmy Smith has half those yards, a pick, and a fumble for an touchdown. He will never get respect because he can never stay healthy a full season to make a name for himself.

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
Jimmy Smith is a top 5 corner and I will argue it until he is out of the league. ESPN had a whole segment last night talking about how Rhodes only has allowed 140 something yards on the season and how he is shutdown. Where as Jimmy Smith has half those yards, a pick, and a fumble for an touchdown. He will never get respect because he can never stay healthy a full season to make a name for himself.
IMO if he could stay healthy an entire season he’d be the best corner in the league the way he shuts down receivers is crazy he for sure doesn’t get the love he deserves