• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly, and the Ravens Offense: Week 6 Edition

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
lmao Matt Ryan wouldn't fare any better. We don't give our QB weapons or an O line. We play patchwork games. In fact, Ryan isn't doing too well right now either.
His decision making has left a lot to be desired lately, but he's generally a much more accurate quarterback than Joe.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I'm with you on the former. At best, it appears to be a combination, and any such options would likely be somewhat biased.

It's mostly busier than usual during the start up with district's scrambling around to get their teachers and schools licensed, but my plate is relatively full throughout as I'm given added responsibilities to make certain that I reach the 40 hour mark. Appreciate you asking.
I had a friend who does what you're doing now, I think, and he seemed to really enjoy the work. Kept him busy, but he liked it.

Well, this year, it's actually more like we lose Yanda, then lose the second string in Skura, and then have to play the third string rookie. And we only had to play Skura and Jermaine E (not going to try to spell that last name) because Urschel retired and Siragusa got injured. And at left guard, you lose your starter. So, the Ravens basically lost their starting left guards, their primary backup, and then had to play their third option at LG (or fourth depending on how you rank Siragusa compared to Hurst) and then are now on their fourth option at RG.

I don't understand why people can't seem to get the message. When I ask people if there was any move you would make on the OL, what would it be? Most of the time the answer I get is replace Alex Lewis, okay Lol first of all how can you say for sure how he would've done? He didn't have the opportunity to sink or swim and after a solid season pass blocking wise, it was the right call to trust him. I personally think that if him and Yanda were healthy we would have one of the top pass blocking units in the league and would have the best OL in the NFL, the only OL who would be better IMO is probably Philadelphia.

If I had to make a critique of Ozzie, It would have to be that I think he had too much confidence in Perriman. Prior to the June, Perriman was literally our #2 on the depth chart, that would have been really bad had we not signed Jeremy Maclin. I was a little weary myself because even though I anticipated Perriman breaking out at the time, it was hard to trust his health which he had done. I think drafting a receiver early would have been the call to make, but at the same time, I was really happy about us drafting Tim Williams, and signing Maclin to that deal just gave us great values on our picks.

RavensDFan

Veteran
Well, this year, it's actually more like we lose Yanda, then lose the second string in Skura, and then have to play the third string rookie. And we only had to play Skura and Jermaine E (not going to try to spell that last name) because Urschel retired and Siragusa got injured. And at left guard, you lose your starter. So, the Ravens basically lost their starting left guards, their primary backup, and then had to play their third option at LG (or fourth depending on how you rank Siragusa compared to Hurst) and then are now on their fourth option at RG. For Williams, they lost Williams and then lost his primary backup in Carl Davis. They lost Brent Urban and have to start Wormley, who was inactive for the first few weeks if that tells you how the coaching staff views him. The Ravens lose Tavon in camp and then think they have a really promising player in Canaday, but oh, no, he's out, too. So now you're down to your third option at slot corner.

Previously with the loss of Suggs or Jimmy, it was a huge indictment on the FO for not having the proper depth in place for such key positions, but this year, all the depth is also getting shredded.

I'm not upset at the defense at all, really. I'm more upset that the special teams scored more points than the offense. I'm upset that in 14 drives (13 if you don't want to count the one to end the game), the Ravens scored three field goals and netted -4 points on two turnovers. If Camp never returns that punt for a TD, we aren't even talking about the defense collapsing. We're talking about the floundering offense not doing its job. That defense faced SIXTEEN drives. That's insane and I can't put blame on them. The offense did them no favors at all when they scored a net of 5 points.

I was a huge advocate for Jalen Ramsey and I really wanted him to be a Raven, honestly, but I'm happy with Stanley. If we get Ramsey, who do you think plays LT? I think it's a little telling that they didn't switch Rick Wagner to LT when Stanley was out, so you have to find a brand new starter there. And at the moment, I'm extremely happy with Humphrey.

Well, the Ravens haven't really spent high on offense, but Torrey is pretty much doing what he did in Baltimore on his new teams and didn't Mark Clayton do pretty well for the Rams before he got perpetually injured? It wouldn't shock me to see Maxx Williams take off somewhere in a more tight end friendly system, but I would be surprised to see Perriman thrive at this point.

I couldn't honestly tell you if he called great plays or not without seeing the All-22. I do think he had some poor situational play calls (that 3rd and 2 still kills me) and I thought the near total lack of play action was really confusing. But without seeing the entire field, I can't really say whether or not I liked what he called.

But the thing is, the Ravens haven't ignored the offense. They've been always been able to hit on offensive line pieces and sans 2013, he's always had strong offensive line play. I can't actually think of a time he's really had bad running backs outside of 2015-16. Rice to Forsett to now Collins. I think if we look at 2010 on, the Ravens really started making concerted efforts to drafting or acquiring more offensive talent at receiver for Joe and I think we'd be naive to not recognize that 1. Joe has done way better with veterans, so it makes sense that the Ravens are signing receivers more than drafting them and 2. That the Ravens are extremely tight to the cap every year (lately thanks to the cap hits from Joe himself) and they can't get an AJ Green, Julio Jones type. But you'd be hard pressed like no other to find people who weren't happy the Ravens traded for Boldin, signed SSS, signed Wallace, signed Maclin.

As for the OC turnover, try to remember two got poached to be head coaches. No control over that one.
Well it looks like you can perhaps add all three of our starting receivers to the injury list as well for this week, though Wallace claims he'll play. Will be interesting to see if the young guns outplay them if they are out though.

I am not blaming the defense for this loss in any way shape or form. If I had to give them a grade on their overall performance, it would be a solid A. The fact remains though, for whatever reason you wish to assign, they play great games and so often give up the big play when it matters most.

The offense is ..not sure there is even a word for how bad they are right now. For a while Joe was a huge part of the problem, but this week I can't pin it on him. Our receivers literally can't catch a ball that hits their hands. When your starters are that bad, sorry but that falls on the FO.

Giving your high picks to the defense in such a lopsided manner is most definitely short changing and ignoring the offense. If we had not ignored it, perhaps ( who knows because I honestly don't believe we have anyone that recognizes true offensive talent) we'd have some at least above average guys who can catch passes and have chemistry because they've been here for more than a season.

If we'd addressed the O line, perhaps our starting talent would have been our 2nd string and our 2nd string would be our 3rd string, etc. At least maybe we'd have a serviceable O line. Hard to say.

I don't know about absolving all blame for all these injuries either. How many years now have we been at the top for injured players? I mean, is it an issue with our conditioning coaches? No way for us to really know that one way or the other.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Well it looks like you can perhaps add all three of our starting receivers to the injury list as well for this week, though Wallace claims he'll play. Will be interesting to see if the young guns outplay them if they are out though.

I am not blaming the defense for this loss in any way shape or form. If I had to give them a grade on their overall performance, it would be a solid A. The fact remains though, for whatever reason you wish to assign, they play great games and so often give up the big play when it matters most.

The offense is ..not sure there is even a word for how bad they are right now. For a while Joe was a huge part of the problem, but this week I can't pin it on him. Our receivers literally can't catch a ball that hits their hands. When your starters are that bad, sorry but that falls on the FO.

Giving your high picks to the defense in such a lopsided manner is most definitely short changing and ignoring the offense. If we had not ignored it, perhaps ( who knows because I honestly don't believe we have anyone that recognizes true offensive talent) we'd have some at least above average guys who can catch passes and have chemistry because they've been here for more than a season.

If we'd addressed the O line, perhaps our starting talent would have been our 2nd string and our 2nd string would be our 3rd string, etc. At least maybe we'd have a serviceable O line. Hard to say.

I don't know about absolving all blame for all these injuries either. How many years now have we been at the top for injured players? I mean, is it an issue with our conditioning coaches? No way for us to really know that one way or the other.
If Wallace and Maclin are out, I have no hope. If Perriman is out... Joe might have a few more completions.

In this game, they shouldn't even have been in a position to have this happen and that's why I can't really even talk about a collapse. They were down for the entire game until the very end and they had one lapse and I can't hold that against them. As for the past, I don't know what it is. I examined several games where the play calling was fine and players just didn't execute or they played so tentative and scared. Is that Pees not utilizing the strengths of the players? I don't think that's quite it because they use these same coverages the entire game with fine results. Are they scared because of a history of collapses? I don't know. I can't tell you. But I am in total agreement that it is very frustrating. I wouldn't have expected that to happen based on the course of the entire game, but I can't really blame anyone but Weddle because he went for the strip, not the tackle. Total lack of judgement there.

With regards to the offense, there are several players I really wanted in drafts that went just before the Ravens drafted. OBJ, Hopkins, Eifert. There are guys I wanted that the Ravens flat out passed on in Jeffrey or Allen. How is that so many fans can see that Jeffrey or Allen are potential premiere talents but the Ravens pass on them for a guy like Arthur Brown or Courtney Upshaw? I don't know. It's really infuriating. And for what it's worth, in 2013, I wanted a trade up badly for Hopkins. Of course, it takes two to tango, but every one and their mother knew Hopkins was going at 26. Just trade up those seven spots. Give up a fourth rounder if you need to. Give up a seventh with it. He looked like a guy Joe could work with and someone who would fit like a glove with Joe. I can't explain it because as someone who is so untrained with regards to scouting sees this and goes, "Yeah, this guy has IT, but the FO says, yeah, we'll pass on Jeffrey and Allen." Oh, and the one that KILLS me now is not taking Michael Thomas over Kamelai Correa. They traded back and STILL could have had Thomas. Dude, come on, Eric.

I think Wallace, Watson, and Maclin have been pretty steady when given the chances. I just think that they need to do two things. One is on Marty and one is on Joe. For Marty, Maclin is a player that absolutely thrives in space. Manufacture some drag routes, some bubble screens, or some quick outs that get him the ball in space and allow him to work. The Ravens are checking it down enough; let him try to make a play. Also, use the damn play action more. Joe has operated so well for his entire career out of play action on bootlegs and the Ravens are averaging a really healthy 4.5 YPC. Why are you not running PA? For Joe, he's gotta take the deep shots. Wallace still has speed and Perriman can run by almost anyone. Even if it doesn't net a completion, that defensive back can no longer squat on the short routes and the safeties can't creep up. They have to respect the possibility of the deep ball. Make them think twice.

I can't really blame the FO for the offensive line. No way you expect Yanda, Lewis, Skura, and Siragusa getting injured and no way you predict Urschel retiring. As far as Urschel goes, I think it's really shitty that he didn't make his decision sooner because I'm sure the FO would have altered their draft plans had Urschel made the decision in March rather than after free agency and the draft. A little salty over the timing on that.

As far as the injuries go, in the past, when you lose a Jimmy, Suggs, Maclin, etc., it was a death sentence because the FO never built up the proper depth. It was always crazy to me because the FO would be like, "We can never have enough pass rushers, we can never have enough wide receivers, we can never have enough corners, etc." So, what do they do? Oh, right, draft defensive lineman, inside linebackers, running backs. Positions they find easily in later rounds or develop incredibly well. "Well the board didn't fall our way." I don't care if a guy is rated 50 when you have pick 45. Pick the damn corner, pass rusher, receiver. You know damn well if one of them gets injured that you're screwed. You're pretty damn set at defensive line to the point that you make your rookies perpetual inactives on game day.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Wall of text.......our receivers are out, so what. Maybe some LBs or O linemen will step up and catch some passes. ^_^

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Flacco better prove us all wrong the remainder of the season or we won’t be picking wr, rb, TE, or OL in the first.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Because Steve Smith returned and we acquired Mike Wallace
But he was basically force fed as the only option and it should speak volumes about Aiken that they felt the need to get Wallace (who really shouldn't affect Aiken since Aiken could play out of the slot).

But he was basically force fed as the only option and it should speak volumes about Aiken that they felt the need to get Wallace (who really shouldn't affect Aiken since Aiken could play out of the slot).

We needed more hands because there was no depth but Aiken proved he could play. Wallace's best season basically mirrored Aikens, Smith was a little better but both were on the downside of their careers now we just have Wallace on the decline.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
We needed more hands because there was no depth but Aiken proved he could play. Wallace's best season basically mirrored Aikens, Smith was a little better but both were on the downside of their careers now we just have Wallace on the decline.
Aiken was a pleasant surprise, no doubt, but the Ravens had Perriman and Moore going into season 2 and were getting SSS back. I think it speaks more to the fact that Aiken wasn't viewed as a long term option (did the Ravens even try to re-sign him?) and says more about the lack of overall depth in 2015 than anything.

I think Flacco made Aiken look a lot better than he was that season when he was healthy.

If Wallace and Maclin are out, I have no hope. If Perriman is out... Joe might have a few more completions.
The thing that disappoints me is that we saw the NYG go into Denver with an injury riddled receiving core and a poor offensive line and pick up the victory in Denver and overcame that great defense. If you can scheme things up and draw up a magnificent game plan and have you QB and back ups step up, you can definitely win, but sadly I have no confidence that our coaching staff or Joe could do that.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The thing that disappoints me is that we saw the NYG go into Denver with an injury riddled receiving core and a poor offensive line and pick up the victory in Denver and overcame that great defense. If you can scheme things up and draw up a magnificent game plan and have you QB and back ups step up, you can definitely win, but sadly I have no confidence that our coaching staff or Joe could do that.
That’s because Eli, although declining himself, is better at throwing his wr open.