• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly, and the Ravens Offense: Week 6 Edition

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Didnt Jalen Ramsey have a meniscus tear? Thats a ticking timebomb for an elite athlete.
he did after the draft
it was surgically repaired. he was starting at cb 4 months later and has not missed a start.
our cb is still being 'coached up'...heck! we can make him a corner!!!

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really was an advocate for us to draft Maxx Williams. I was happy we traded up to select him.

Looking like a big miss.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
except he tried to trade up for jalen ramsey, he did trade up for maxx, he traded back in for camp, he essentially traded up for wormley... he doesnt seem that shy about it...
What do you mean by, "he essentially traded up for Wormley"?

Tank

Hall of Famer
they didnt really get lucky with yanda - they drafted ben grubbs and marshal yanda in the same draft - they doubled down with 2 good guard prospects when they only needed one to pan out short term
They hit home runs with both but could only afford to keep one.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
he's not still being coached up - he's playing at a high level when we put him on the field

ok, you can use jimmy smith and Ladarius as counterpoints, but cb's are one of those positions where you really CAN'T train a guy up to the essential skills. you just can't they got it or they don't and they show them early. for the most part the same is true of receivers and running backs. there are certain skills that they come by naturally or they don't come by them at all. when you got a real cb he's in immediately if you have the need and we have the need. we got a journeyman on one side that is always a day late and a dollar short. I don't mean jimmy.

now jimmy was injured early in his career is my recollection but he and webb got in late and were very good. so that's your hope with humpf, that hes better than his essential skills have indicated and hes gonna transcend what he's shown once he gets coached up. but Jalen ramsey he aint or he'd be playing already. he's got some athletic ability but so did tim tebow and neither of them are corners

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well after the loss to the lowly Bears, which was just pure ugliness by the way, I am convinced this team isn't going anywhere this year. They are doomed to miss the playoffs and as such I would rather get a high draft choice as redemption for the suffering we're going through as fans.
With the first pick assuming it is top 10, I would like to mortgage a few picks and go get us the QB of the future even if it means moving to the top slot. We MUST do that regardless of the critics. I can only imagine how much Bisciotti must be cursing himself by not sticking with his original instincts of mortgaging the 2008 draft to move up to #2 to pick Matt Ryan right now. Our trajectory as a team would be different given how talented our defense has been forever now. Well, I don't think he's going to want to repeat that mistake this time around and I for one am banking on it.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Well after the loss to the lowly Bears, which was just pure ugliness by the way, I am convinced this team isn't going anywhere this year. They are doomed to miss the playoffs and as such I would rather get a high draft choice as redemption for the suffering we're going through as fans.
With the first pick assuming it is top 10, I would like to mortgage a few picks and go get us the QB of the future even if it means moving to the top slot. We MUST do that regardless of the critics. I can only imagine how much Bisciotti must be cursing himself by not sticking with his original instincts of mortgaging the 2008 draft to move up to #2 to pick Matt Ryan right now. Our trajectory as a team would be different given how talented our defense has been forever now. Well, I don't think he's going to want to repeat that mistake this time around and I for one am banking on it.

agree
wanted to trade joe, eat the dead cap, cut the dead and designer wood, lose like the browns this year and perhaps next and draft like the seahawks rebuilding. only problem with the plan was ozze is trying to keep his assisted living arrangement going. have eyes on a qb and maybe another but we are not going to be in position to get them without an oz move up and you know that ain't happening.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
ok, you can use jimmy smith and Ladarius as counterpoints, but cb's are one of those positions where you really CAN'T train a guy up to the essential skills. you just can't they got it or they don't and they show them early. for the most part the same is true of receivers and running backs. there are certain skills that they come by naturally or they don't come by them at all. when you got a real cb he's in immediately if you have the need and we have the need. we got a journeyman on one side that is always a day late and a dollar short. I don't mean jimmy.

now jimmy was injured early in his career is my recollection but he and webb got in late and were very good. so that's your hope with humpf, that hes better than his essential skills have indicated and hes gonna transcend what he's shown once he gets coached up. but Jalen ramsey he aint or he'd be playing already. he's got some athletic ability but so did tim tebow and neither of them are corners

you're just wrong - jimmy played awful the first year and a half of his nfl career even without injuries and now is one of the best corners in the nfl
and if you are arguing that you cant train up corners then fine - because marlon is already playing at a high level on the field - marlon has been in immediately and has played in every game since the start of the season - he's not starting because we have two veteran corners playing at a high level ahead of him - and he's still forcing his way onto the field - we literally ran a passing set that we havent run in my recent memory because we had 3 strong outside corners - we ran a 4 cb dime package we cant do that unless marlon's playing at a high level

and marlon in terms of draft traits is the closest thing ive seen to a jimmy smith clone in terms of his flaws and strengths coming out as ive seen

its like you're blind - he is playing already, at corner at a high level

RavensDFan

Veteran
lmao Matt Ryan wouldn't fare any better. We don't give our QB weapons or an O line. We play patchwork games. In fact, Ryan isn't doing too well right now either.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
The injuries are always severe. Every year. No matter who is injured. One year it was Suggs. One year it was Jimmy. This year it is BWill.

I take a shot at them because it is the same old story, year after year after year and it doesn't matter who is injured or if anyone is at all. Play a great game overall and fail when it counts at the end. That is what they do. For years now. Would it have mattered in the end? Yeah probably not in the least since the offense was dialing it in. That doesn't mean it isn't an issue. They faced a Bears' team with a rookie QB with his first road start that they KNEW were going to run the ball. Yes I get that it isn't as bad as the overall yards make it seem to be, but still it is pretty bad. And you don't think that even a bit of that fail can be placed on the DC?

So you don't buy into the fact we could have traded up for Ramsey and that he could have taken this defense to the next level? And that the guy we got instead has done little to help anything?

So you don't buy into the fact that we rarely use high picks for offense and when we do they always have these "issues". Could be great IF his hands dont' continue to be a problem. etc. Torrey did well but we drafted him to be a true #1 and he wasn't. Just wanted paid like one. I know you have this we can't develop offensive talent theory but the facts don't support it. Pretty sure no WR or TE has left here and gone to another team to be a superstar. We can't draft offensive talent (or we don't target it, a bit of both) and this has been ongoing for years. Yet we've done nothing to remedy it.

You think Marty had a great gameplan? You think he called great plays? lol Do you? Somehow I think you're smarter than that.

Name one other franchise QB in his tenth year that has the turnover of OCs, the turnover at RB, the turnover at WR, the turnover at TE that this team has seen. Not just one of those things but ALL of them. There is no consistency and then we want to whine (myself included) that Flacco & his receivers have no chemistry. It's a joke. I kid you not if I was Flacco I'd be begging to be released by this team. He'd be picked up in a heartbeat and there is a 98% chance his new FO would not ignore the offense.

We see the results of these issues on the field and we blame the players because they play the game but these issues are way higher and way deeper.
Well, this year, it's actually more like we lose Yanda, then lose the second string in Skura, and then have to play the third string rookie. And we only had to play Skura and Jermaine E (not going to try to spell that last name) because Urschel retired and Siragusa got injured. And at left guard, you lose your starter. So, the Ravens basically lost their starting left guards, their primary backup, and then had to play their third option at LG (or fourth depending on how you rank Siragusa compared to Hurst) and then are now on their fourth option at RG. For Williams, they lost Williams and then lost his primary backup in Carl Davis. They lost Brent Urban and have to start Wormley, who was inactive for the first few weeks if that tells you how the coaching staff views him. The Ravens lose Tavon in camp and then think they have a really promising player in Canaday, but oh, no, he's out, too. So now you're down to your third option at slot corner.

Previously with the loss of Suggs or Jimmy, it was a huge indictment on the FO for not having the proper depth in place for such key positions, but this year, all the depth is also getting shredded.

I'm not upset at the defense at all, really. I'm more upset that the special teams scored more points than the offense. I'm upset that in 14 drives (13 if you don't want to count the one to end the game), the Ravens scored three field goals and netted -4 points on two turnovers. If Camp never returns that punt for a TD, we aren't even talking about the defense collapsing. We're talking about the floundering offense not doing its job. That defense faced SIXTEEN drives. That's insane and I can't put blame on them. The offense did them no favors at all when they scored a net of 5 points.

I was a huge advocate for Jalen Ramsey and I really wanted him to be a Raven, honestly, but I'm happy with Stanley. If we get Ramsey, who do you think plays LT? I think it's a little telling that they didn't switch Rick Wagner to LT when Stanley was out, so you have to find a brand new starter there. And at the moment, I'm extremely happy with Humphrey.

Well, the Ravens haven't really spent high on offense, but Torrey is pretty much doing what he did in Baltimore on his new teams and didn't Mark Clayton do pretty well for the Rams before he got perpetually injured? It wouldn't shock me to see Maxx Williams take off somewhere in a more tight end friendly system, but I would be surprised to see Perriman thrive at this point.

I couldn't honestly tell you if he called great plays or not without seeing the All-22. I do think he had some poor situational play calls (that 3rd and 2 still kills me) and I thought the near total lack of play action was really confusing. But without seeing the entire field, I can't really say whether or not I liked what he called.

But the thing is, the Ravens haven't ignored the offense. They've been always been able to hit on offensive line pieces and sans 2013, he's always had strong offensive line play. I can't actually think of a time he's really had bad running backs outside of 2015-16. Rice to Forsett to now Collins. I think if we look at 2010 on, the Ravens really started making concerted efforts to drafting or acquiring more offensive talent at receiver for Joe and I think we'd be naive to not recognize that 1. Joe has done way better with veterans, so it makes sense that the Ravens are signing receivers more than drafting them and 2. That the Ravens are extremely tight to the cap every year (lately thanks to the cap hits from Joe himself) and they can't get an AJ Green, Julio Jones type. But you'd be hard pressed like no other to find people who weren't happy the Ravens traded for Boldin, signed SSS, signed Wallace, signed Maclin.

As for the OC turnover, try to remember two got poached to be head coaches. No control over that one.