• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Free Agency

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Weird, but I guess we somehow don't have this yet.
I'd like to see a breakdown of projected $ and who we can sign / resign
I could be wrong on this, but I do believe we are expected to have way more than usual this year. And with Jensen being the only free agent I want to stay, could we go after a big player? Resign some more guys? Jarvis Landry and Sammy Watkins are both set to be free agents... man they would look nice in purple.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
im not sure how much more we are going to have anymore given the restructuring we had to do repeatedly earlier this year - we'll also have next year's draft picks and udfas, all the RFAs and futures contracts as well as all the options and whatnot to either activate or not activate - and on top of that we always try and re-sign our own before we bring in someone else's players - im not sure how much capspace we'll have left after we extend CJ Mosley, extend (likely in my mind) Jimmy Smith and hopefully re-sign ryan jensen

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Weird, but I guess we somehow don't have this yet.
I'd like to see a breakdown of projected $ and who we can sign / resign
I could be wrong on this, but I do believe we are expected to have way more than usual this year. And with Jensen being the only free agent I want to stay, could we go after a big player? Resign some more guys? Jarvis Landry and Sammy Watkins are both set to be free agents... man they would look nice in purple.

Jensen is the only one that interests me. One big move I would do is see if I can lower some base salaries by asking for paycuts. Joe for example is making 12 mil base and see if he'll lower it to 10. Jimmy's making 9 and Weddle and Yanda are 2 more at least making 7 mil base.. I'm not talking about converting this into signing bonuses neither so this could be very difficult to achieve. There also some cuts like Webb and then other contracts that have roster bonuses that need to be looked at like Carr and Howard.

im not sure how much more we are going to have anymore given the restructuring we had to do repeatedly earlier this year - we'll also have next year's draft picks and udfas, all the RFAs and futures contracts as well as all the options and whatnot to either activate or not activate - and on top of that we always try and re-sign our own before we bring in someone else's players - im not sure how much capspace we'll have left after we extend CJ Mosley, extend (likely in my mind) Jimmy Smith and hopefully re-sign ryan jensen

Nothing drives me more nuts than restructures cuz this makes that person uncuttable for at least a couple years and just never gives us no space under the cap. It's like paying interest on a credit card. Restructuring BWill's contract which was already cap friendly was a real headscratcher and just a completely dumb move.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Nothing drives me more nuts than restructures cuz this makes that person uncuttable for at least a couple years and just never gives us no space under the cap. It's like paying interest on a credit card. Restructuring BWill's contract which was already cap friendly was a real headscratcher and just a completely dumb move.

they had to be done to be fair - we literally didnt have enough cap space because of all our injuries we are have to pay more players than the rest of the league does which inevitably forces us to be creative - the brandon williams restructures are fine because it's spread out over the whole of his contract and the jimmy smith restructures are fine because they likely dont affect us next year because we likely extend him and even out the cap hits - but it is frustrating that before the season we were talking about how we'd suddenly have some cap space to work with and somehow we are eating into it a little bit - but we definitely should not borrow any more cap space from the future unless we have major injuries that make it physically impossible to pay the 63 guys we need on the roster each week

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
they had to be done to be fair - we literally didnt have enough cap space because of all our injuries we are have to pay more players than the rest of the league does which inevitably forces us to be creative - the brandon williams restructures are fine because it's spread out over the whole of his contract and the jimmy smith restructures are fine because they likely dont affect us next year because we likely extend him and even out the cap hits - but it is frustrating that before the season we were talking about how we'd suddenly have some cap space to work with and somehow we are eating into it a little bit - but we definitely should not borrow any more cap space from the future unless we have major injuries that make it physically impossible to pay the 63 guys we need on the roster each week

If they extend Jimmy it might not be so bad but its gonna cost us a higher signing bonus which will be spread out and with his injury history I'm not sure its a good bet but he's already gonna be costing us 11-12 mil against the cap for the next 3 or 4 yrs cuz of restructures. The BWill deal I have to disagree since I don't even know what they used it on unless they saving it for injury purposes but I think it was an overreaction.

Jarvis Landry is at the very top of my wish list, unfortunately, his market value is going to be high, especially for a play who's going to be 25 coming off of two 1,000 yard seasons. But he would honestly be the dream WR for us. Consistent, great hands, great routes, strong I.Q, knows coverages, and most importantly he's a play-maker. I honestly think he would be a star here and would be a great WR for us, difference between him and others is that we're getting a guy who would be hitting the peak of his career. Sadly, that's not how we do things but If I were the Ravens I would see how his market value looks like and would go hard after him. He's everything we need in a WR.

After that, it's Larry Fitzgerald, I don't think I have to explain anything there.

As far as realistic options go,

Sammy Watkins, Terrelle Pryor, and Taylor Gabriel are guys I like. I don't think they're going to be stars here but I think they'll contribute, out of the three I like Pryor the most because he's more durable and has the most potential to make a bigger impact here. Those are receivers I think we pursue.

That's pretty much it right now, I'll update once I get a better grasp of FA.

K-Dog

MVP
we cleaned house on defense last offseason. I anticipate cleaning house on offense this offseason.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
People seem to forget the cap gets an extra 10 mil probjectrd this year. I could be very off but I think we will have 25 mil if we option out of Carr. Draft picks and guys to resign will leave us at 15 mil for the year, I would love to throw a shit ton of money at Landry, as drafting a Wr won't work.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
we cleaned house on defense last offseason. I anticipate cleaning house on offense this offseason.
I don't think a clean house on offense is feasible with that damn dead money. It could get a lot more ugly, as we need 2 receivers, a tight end, o line, a qb to develope, and that's ignoring defense. I'm talking worst offense ever ugly. I just don't trust Ozzie to draft a star player at any offensive position. My mock
Plan:
Qb: grab one in the 3-4 range.
Rb: no need for west he is trash, Dixon and Collins and maybe some guy in the late rounds.
Wr: can Wallace, throw money at Landry or Watkins. Try and get a guy 4-5th round.
Te: I want a guy first or second round here, every time Flacco has been decent we've had a great TE.
OLine: high pick, resign Jensen and Hurst (he is great depth)

I don't think a clean house on offense is feasible with that damn dead money. It could get a lot more ugly, as we need 2 receivers, a tight end, o line, a qb to develope, and that's ignoring defense. I'm talking worst offense ever ugly. I just don't trust Ozzie to draft a star player at any offensive position. My mock
Plan:
Rb: no need for west he is trash, Dixon and Collins and maybe some guy in the late rounds.
Wr: can Wallace, throw money at Landry or Watkins. Try and get a guy 4-5th round.
Te: I want a guy first or second round here, every time Flacco has been decent we've had a great TE.

Yeah I don't think we clean house on offense, if we were just who are you getting rid off? Wallace and Watson are FAs and I think both walk. Jensen I think is resigned and after that who are you letting go? I think we just make upgrades, but I think we're going to be aggressive this time around because this year we don't have anyone to depend on. There's no step-up guy so we're very likely going to have to go hard after a receiver.

I can honestly imagine Landry to be a lock to contribute to any team and because of that I don't think we even have much of a chance. I would love to see us grab him, I honestly think he's the best FA WR on the market who might be available in a while and there's so many reasons I can think of in terms of why he's a perfect fit here, that said I think if we had more cap space we would go hard after him.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I think we extend Jimmy, and CJ. I also think Weddle is going to take a paycut as he's clearly not interested in making money, he wants to win and frankly if we can establish a new offensive identity I think it's possible to turn this shit around in a single offseason.

Flacco needs to take a fucking paycut. This shit is unacceptable, and I think Ozzie needs to be clear: we can't win with that fucking contract. And honestly, I see Flacco taking a paycut as well. He's held himself accountable in the past and since he's also gotten endorsement deals it's not like he needs all that money. Even shedding 5-6 mil off of his salary is going go a long way.

Brandon Carr and Albert Mclellan will also likely be released which will help the team out as well.

Also, next offseason Ozzie needs to fucking nail. If he doesn't he should be fired. He's on the hot seat too and I've made it known. And while the plan he's got is good in theory, he needs to get a few things.

Priorities for the next offseason include.

-Fixing the damn line.. Austin Howard and Jensen have both been nice surprises. But Lewis sucks at G, not sure if Siragusa is ever gonna be a same, Yanda is coming off of a bad injury, and the right side of our line is old. We need to acquire/retain at the very least, THREE offensive linemen this offseason. I'd say, resign Jensen and Hurst, and then use your first or second rounder to take the LG/future replacement for Yanda.

-Getting another playmaker, or two. Outside of Maclin what we have on the offense is kind of pathetic even for some of the money we have invested. Perriman has struggled, Wallace is probably going to walk, same goes for Wallace, Maxx can't walk into a bath without getting hurt, Boyle is more of a #2 TE. We need to acquire a few pass catchers this offseason.

-Finding another RB. I don't trust Dixon and I think Collins is good, but more of a #2 Back overall. I think acquiring a bell cow running back is a must this offseason. West is gone. Woodhead's health is unreliable. I think Buck is a nice recieving option so he stays. But still. Another RB should be in play.

-QB of the future. Whether it's the immediate future or a developmental project, we need to take someone at some point.

Mock coming later this week

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
From what we have seen so far what makes you think Collins couldn't be our #1 back? He looks freaking great. Still holding out hope on Dixon as well.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Plan:
As great as Watkins is, id like to stay away because his injuries are something I don't want to deal with.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I think we extend Jimmy, and CJ. I also think Weddle is going to take a paycut as he's clearly not interested in making money, he wants to win and frankly if we can establish a new offensive identity I think it's possible to turn this shit around in a single offseason.

Flacco needs to take a fucking paycut. This shit is unacceptable, and I think Ozzie needs to be clear: we can't win with that fucking contract. And honestly, I see Flacco taking a paycut as well. He's held himself accountable in the past and since he's also gotten endorsement deals it's not like he needs all that money. Even shedding 5-6 mil off of his salary is going go a long way.

Brandon Carr and Albert Mclellan will also likely be released which will help the team out as well.

Also, next offseason Ozzie needs to fucking nail. If he doesn't he should be fired. He's on the hot seat too and I've made it known. And while the plan he's got is good in theory, he needs to get a few things.

Priorities for the next offseason include.

-Fixing the damn line.. Austin Howard and Jensen have both been nice surprises. But Lewis sucks at G, not sure if Siragusa is ever gonna be a same, Yanda is coming off of a bad injury, and the right side of our line is old. We need to acquire/retain at the very least, THREE offensive linemen this offseason. I'd say, resign Jensen and Hurst, and then use your first or second rounder to take the LG/future replacement for Yanda.

-Getting another playmaker, or two. Outside of Maclin what we have on the offense is kind of pathetic even for some of the money we have invested. Perriman has struggled, Wallace is probably going to walk, same goes for Wallace, Maxx can't walk into a bath without getting hurt, Boyle is more of a #2 TE. We need to acquire a few pass catchers this offseason.

-Finding another RB. I don't trust Dixon and I think Collins is good, but more of a #2 Back overall. I think acquiring a bell cow running back is a must this offseason. West is gone. Woodhead's health is unreliable. I think Buck is a nice recieving option so he stays. But still. Another RB should be in play.

-QB of the future. Whether it's the immediate future or a developmental project, we need to take someone at some point.

Mock coming later this week
I agree with the Weddle and Flacco paycuts which I think realistically they both do. I think the team cuts Brandon Carr if Humphrey continues to impress. I honestly feel like Humphrey is an upgrade right now besides him being young and falling for trick plays. Carr has been solid though so I wouldn't be mad if he stayed especially at the rate this team gets injuries.

I disagree with Lewis being bad at G. When did this narrative appear I thought everyone thought he had a good rookie season. And the team had high hopes of improvements. I think Lewis still has a bright future here in Baltimore. Siragusa's injury scares me he may never play the same. But I can see resigning Hurst to be a swing tackle and Jensen has been a pleasant surprise even though he struggled in Sunday's game. I plan on a couple signings here.

This team needs playmakers period. I don't think the Ravens pick up Perriman's 5th year option that is a bulk of money and the only playmaking ability he showed was late last season and has been inconsistent since. I think the Ravens let Wallace walk because of his age as a speedster his speed will decline and so will his ability to make plays. This team needs to find some weapons everywhere.

I wouldn't t bet on Dixon because he is one drug test away from being out an entire season in the league. I think a team pays West more than we do which is unfortunate because I actually like West's presence. Buck stays. Woodhead's health is pretty bad unless he goes off the last half off this season which would be a good boost to this offense.

I think something that needs to be done is the Ravens need to look for a pass rusher as well in their young 30's. Suggs will be out the door likely at the end of next season. The team needs to find a cheapish replacement. Bowser, Williams, and Smith have all played well in spurts but the team would benefit greatly from a proven veteran presence. I also think Orr might have been a bigger loss to us than we initially knew. I know a lot of people were bashing on him but man we are giving up so many passes in the middle of the field we weren't when he was here. At least the Orr to Correa/Peanut drop off seems to be pretty big.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
why is everyone so sure that we wont keep brandon carr? at worst he'd be an incredibly high level backup on the outside and jimmy smith wont be magically less injury prone - i dont see how we dont keep carr tbh - i think our cb corps at the beginning of next year is jimmy, marlon, carr, tavon, canady, hill

ALI624

Pro Bowler
You guys really think Flacco taking a paycut because I don’t. I don’t see him taking a penny less than he’s owed. Wouldn’t surprise me if he was upset with Camp for returning that punt for a TD and allowing him to do his special three and out and ending the game. I also wonder if he called up Ozzie to ask if he gets paid extra for overtime.:lol:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You guys really think Flacco taking a paycut because I don’t. I don’t see him taking a penny less than he’s owed. Wouldn’t surprise me if he was upset with Camp for returning that punt for a TD and allowing him to do his special three and out and ending the game. I also wonder if he called up Ozzie to ask if he gets paid extra for overtime.:lol:

i dont get all the people suggesting guys will take paycuts... when has that ever happened - i can think of only 2 players who actively took paycuts - dennis pitta and ben watson and even then they mostly just replaced guaranteed money with incentives - the only other kind of instance was webby who we cut and then he came back on less money...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i dont get all the people suggesting guys will take paycuts... when has that ever happened - i can think of only 2 players who actively took paycuts - dennis pitta and ben watson and even then they mostly just replaced guaranteed money with incentives - the only other kind of instance was webby who we cut and then he came back on less money...
actual paycuts rarely happen in the NFL. Most are cap friendly converting bonus to guaranteed money to spread the money over the life of the contract. The others are as you said, incentive laden contracts loaded with easy to reach incentives.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
actual paycuts rarely happen in the NFL. Most are cap friendly converting bonus to guaranteed money to spread the money over the life of the contract. The others are as you said, incentive laden contracts loaded with easy to reach incentives.

yeah literally the only thing close to paycuts are restructures where the players actually get more money that year because its converted to signing bonus but their cap hit is lowered, extensions where a high cap hit might be evened out over years - but a player isnt losing money there either

the only time a player is likely to take a paycut is if they are gonna be cut and dont like the look of the open market - and even then as you say they normally get incentive laden contracts often times with easy to reach incentive targets to get them back to their original number