• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Free Agency

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
D

in addition to Jimmy restructuring I currently see us extending CJ. Next year will be his 5th year option ams he will be playing for 8.7 million. We could backload a deal giving us room in the first couple years under the cap and have it increase in year 3 or 4 of the deal. He would still be young at that point and possibly ready for another deal.

We could also restructure the Weddle deal to save a couple million.

And I emphasize the cap will go up atleast 10m

If we keep restructuring and backloading contracts we will continue to be tight on cap room. We need to do a better job of managing the salary cap.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If we keep restructuring and backloading contracts we will continue to be tight on cap room. We need to do a better job of managing the salary cap.
I agree, we can’t backload all the contracts and we don’t. However the young ones i don’t have an issue with. I also would like a level contract, but a little increase isn’t a bad thing due to the increasing salary cap environment we live in.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I agree, we can’t backload all the contracts and we don’t. However the young ones i don’t have an issue with. I also would like a level contract, but a little increase isn’t a bad thing due to the increasing salary cap environment we live in.
I really think with how bad are are, we just need to be more careful with contracts. Millions to Webb after 2 torn Acls, Millions to Pitta after he almost couldn't walk again, millions to Jimmy who can't even stay on the field (he's gotten better but he was a shoe in to miss 8+ games when we paused him. You have Eugene Monroe the pot head, Shareece Wrong got a 3 year. It doesn't take a genius to know not to give money to guys without knees or hips. We constantly lead the NFL in dead money and that's a problem.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Has anyone played with the overthecap.com calculator. I’ve done a little with it, like cutting Maclin but I’m not sure what the average salary and signing bonus is for someone like CJ Mosely and Jensen. I also was able to place the erfa tender on both Collins and Skura using the calculator.

Very cool tool

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Has anyone played with the overthecap.com calculator. I’ve done a little with it, like cutting Maclin but I’m not sure what the average salary and signing bonus is for someone like CJ Mosely and Jensen. I also was able to place the erfa tender on both Collins and Skura using the calculator.

Very cool tool

to be safe i mostly just gave them (within reason) slightly larger contracts than a similar level guy at their position (expecting inflation and larger salary cap etc.)

I wouldn’t mind us taking a look at navorro bowman if we can get him for a decent price

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter

Very cool tool
to be safe i mostly just gave them (within reason) slightly larger contracts than a similar level guy at their position (expecting inflation and larger salary cap etc.)
How much cap is left after resigning those players?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
How much cap is left after resigning those players?

that's something i cant answer im honest - the way the ravens structure contracts is so complex that even if i gave you approximate worth of a contract i couldnt tell you how it would affect the cap hit in year 1 of the new contract - also it depends on who we decide to keep and whether you include the erfas etc.

I really think with how bad are are, we just need to be more careful with contracts. Millions to Webb after 2 torn Acls, Millions to Pitta after he almost couldn't walk again, millions to Jimmy who can't even stay on the field (he's gotten better but he was a shoe in to miss 8+ games when we paused him. You have Eugene Monroe the pot head, Shareece Wrong got a 3 year. It doesn't take a genius to know not to give money to guys without knees or hips. We constantly lead the NFL in dead money and that's a problem.

I think all that is really in hindsight. Prior to his injury history Eugene Monroe wasn't injury prone. He missed a game or two before he came here but he was an iron man outside of that and had back-to-back 16 game seasons. Webb was a lock down CB who got his contract before he tore his ACL. Before the ACL tear the man was a flat out stud.

I could understand the Jimmy arguments but we saw how our defense fared without him on the field in 2014. I always ask this question, if we play the NE Patriots in 2014 with Jimmy Smith, do we lose? I don't know, but I highly doubt we would've gave up 500 yards of passing offense to them. We've seen three times now that when Jimmy is not on the field, that this defense is simply not the same. Now we could have easily have let him go and watch him stay healthy elsewhere and be the All-Pro stud that he is and as fans sit here lamenting the fact that we didn't keep him. It was a gamble and it didn't work out for us. I would say that it was the right move just an unfortunate set of circumstances that hindered that decision. He played two 16 games seasons for us, you just had to hope that this year would be his third. If he was here right now then I'm really confident that we walk out of Pittsburgh with a win and potentially look at a SB run for this year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think all that is really in hindsight. Prior to his injury history Eugene Monroe wasn't injury prone. He missed a game or two before he came here but he was an iron man outside of that and had back-to-back 16 game seasons. Webb was a lock down CB who got his contract before he tore his ACL. Before the ACL tear the man was a flat out stud.

I could understand the Jimmy arguments but we saw how our defense fared without him on the field in 2014. I always ask this question, if we play the NE Patriots in 2014 with Jimmy Smith, do we lose? I don't know, but I highly doubt we would've gave up 500 yards of passing offense to them. We've seen three times now that when Jimmy is not on the field, that this defense is simply not the same. Now we could have easily have let him go and watch him stay healthy elsewhere and be the All-Pro stud that he is and as fans sit here lamenting the fact that we didn't keep him. It was a gamble and it didn't work out for us. I would say that it was the right move just an unfortunate set of circumstances that hindered that decision. He played two 16 games seasons for us, you just had to hope that this year would be his third. If he was here right now then I'm really confident that we walk out of Pittsburgh with a win and potentially look at a SB run for this year.
With Jimmy, it’s quite possible we would be 6-0 since the bye and a pretty dangerous team in the playoffs. I still think we are dangerous, but not as much.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
With Jimmy, it’s quite possible we would be 6-0 since the bye and a pretty dangerous team in the playoffs. I still think we are dangerous, but not as much.

With jimmy our defence is a legit threat that puts the fear in opposing qbs because he does so much - if you target Jimmy’s side there’s a high possibility that the ball is coming back the other way or that the pass will come to nothing - jimmy=danger in that sense - our defence has still got great pieces but it’s not scary anymore

Tru11

Practice Squad
we signed the wrong cards defender.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Monroe sucked! Him being a pot head shouldnt matter