• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Free Agency

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Salaries escalate dude.By end of that contract there will be 5 or more centers making more than Jensen. Every time ravens don’t get a player he wasn’t worth the money. But applauded the Williams and Jefferson contracts. Then when Mosley becomes highest or near highest paid ilb all of u will talk it up as a great signing. And u full well know it. I’m not a pessimist. It’s being honest and not a biased homer. Crabtree is a 30+ former NO.2 in decline. Ravens are gonna turn him into a NO.1. I’m looking forward to ravens losing 10 games maybe 11 and getting a top6 pick maybe top4. A new coach and GM not scared to hunt big game. With a vision to build a formidable team. That’s not so pessimistic
Jensen had one good season which should not merit the largest contract for a center, especially since he was maybe a top 5 center. Mosely has been to a probowl and was all pro for two years. So yes, if anyone deserves to be paid at the top of their position, I'll take the guy who's proven to play well consistently and calls the shots for his unit

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Salaries escalate dude.By end of that contract there will be 5 or more centers making more than Jensen. Every time ravens don’t get a player he wasn’t worth the money. But applauded the Williams and Jefferson contracts. Then when Mosley becomes highest or near highest paid ilb all of u will talk it up as a great signing. And u full well know it. I’m not a pessimist. It’s being honest and not a biased homer. Crabtree is a 30+ former NO.2 in decline. Ravens are gonna turn him into a NO.1. I’m looking forward to ravens losing 10 games maybe 11 and getting a top6 pick maybe top4. A new coach and GM not scared to hunt big game. With a vision to build a formidable team. That’s not so pessimistic
The end of the contract is not what you base a contract on. He was a good center, a little above average pass blocker and a little below average in run blocking. I was fine with him for a reasonable contract.

If you want to base it on the end of the contract, then Brandon Williams contract is pretty damn reasonable as is any multi year contract (atleast 3 yrs) contract handed out today for the most part.

Simba

Staff Member
I'd have been cool with paying Jensen that if we had the cap space, but it's just a tight year to be paying that much will all of the other needs we have. $10M+ definitely seems like a lot but it's just the nature of contracts nowadays, unfortunately. I'm starting to get over all of the "overpays" because everybody is being overpaid and it's becoming the market. The Bucs have plenty of cap space to pay him, so no complaints from me.

Edit: I also believe that C is one of the most important, non-skill positions so that factors in as well.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
My thoughts on Jensen. I thought he played very well last year. In fact, he was a pleasant surprise. I was one of the ones that wanted the Ravens to bring in Mangold and check out his health because I had doubts about Jensen. I love his fire, even though he cost us at times with personal fouls. I will take a flag at times, if a player sticks up for our guys to protect them. I really am one to invest in a good oline and I really wanted Jensen back, but I agree that may have been just too much to invest with our small amount of salary cap spending money. I hope we draft a big tough Center and a good pass protecting Tackle in the draft, even if that means passing on a wide receiver in the first few rounds.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think Jensen was worth his deal and this is one of the few cases where I agree with Winchester that you guys are acting like a player ain't shit because he left
I didn’t want to pay him 10m per prior to when he left. I said if he wanted that much I’d rather move on.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'd have been cool with paying Jensen that if we had the cap space, but it's just a tight year to be paying that much will all of the other needs we have. $10M+ definitely seems like a lot but it's just the nature of contracts nowadays, unfortunately. I'm starting to get over all of the "overpays" because everybody is being overpaid and it's becoming the market. The Bucs have plenty of cap space to pay him, so no complaints from me.

Edit: I also believe that C is one of the most important, non-skill positions so that factors in as well.
This is a very good point, but as you said, we didnt have the cap space due to our needs.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We are pretty good at drafting and developing lineman and I would like to draft some lineman in the first few rounds along with pass catchers.

If it was a yr where the offensive line class was week then we would have been up the creek.

Don’t get me wrong. I did want to keep Jensen. I was one of the members that was supporting him in the offseason. Had a feeling he’d have a good year.

Last edited:

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Jensen wasn't really a one year wonder, he did have stretches of good play earlier in his career at guard. Ultimately, his mentality and the time he put into the weight room last offseason showed up on the field. Is he the best center in the league? Probably not. Was he the best center available in free agency this year? Definitely.

I wish the Ravens could have kept him. He was good for the culture in the locker room and was the best center on the team since Birk left. It would have been nice to get more return on the investment in him, but at this point, all we can do is hope that someone like Skura or Siragusa takes his lead and puts in work this offseason to have a similar ascension.

Tank

Hall of Famer
We won't know for 2 or 3 years if Ryan is worth his contract as he's being paid as if he were an experienced, top notch center. My guess is that he will continue to be a good one and it ends up that he is worth it, but no one one can say that now.

arnie_uk

Veteran

Agree with everything.

The market is up so you to make good ascending players very high offers to get them. Id pay for ko wagner and jensen if we had the cap.

Also agree about center being a key position

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I took a screen shot of Jensen’s premium statistics and although I like him, I’ve also said I don’t believe he is worth it due to the fact that he was a pretty bad run blocker the entire second half of the season and only an average pass blocker.

Could he improve. Absolutely

View attachment 741

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I took a screen shot of Jensen’s premium statistics and although I like him, I’ve also said I don’t believe he is worth it due to the fact that he was a pretty bad run blocker the entire second half of the season and only an average pass blocker.

Could he improve. Absolutely

View attachment 741

he had a great start it seems and faded pretty badly from week 9 onwards. We didn't lose anything special for sure but he's a solid C with a good atttitude.

Wouldnt be against drafting Wynn in the first or the kid from Arkansas or billy price in the 2nd ( trade up? ). Could always put Yanda at C and draft hernandez/wynn.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
he had a great start it seems and faded pretty badly from week 9 onwards. We didn't lose anything special for sure but he's a solid C with a good atttitude.

Wouldnt be against drafting Wynn in the first or the kid from Arkansas or billy price in the 2nd ( trade up? ). Could always put Yanda at C and draft hernandez/wynn.
Yes, definitely a good center and love the idea of drafting Wynn in the first or Price in the 2nd if we nabbed a WR in the first. I've also thought of the idea of Yanda at center, especially knowing he has experience calling the signals.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I didn’t want to pay him 10m per prior to when he left. I said if he wanted that much I’d rather move on.
I agree here. Jensen was great and a fan favorite for playing nasty and defending Flacco after the dirty Kiko hit. But he was the 9th ranked center in the league last season and he is getting #1 money. If we could get him for 7 million a year sure but not 10.