• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Free Agency

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree he is backup worthy but im guranteeing we wont win any games with him as qb if push came to shove.

you cant say that - he's not gonna make us a winning season if he had to play 16 games but if he's well prepared i can see him winning a couple of games in a pinch depending on the schedule (or at least keep it close enough that the qb becomes a non-factor in the game) - and that's all you can really ask for in a backup unless you're grooming a future starter

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Another important point ill make about RGIII - Harbs mentioned (and ozzie confirmed) that they get the impression that RGIII really wanted to come here and play - obviously there's multiple factors behind that statement: it's likely PR, RGIII may just be excited to be on any team etc. etc.

but it made me think and i realised that RGIII has never been in a well set up and supportive and well run organisation before - he's been at a redskins team that has imploded repeatedly as have the Browns

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Interesting Ozzie basically just said he's expecting a certain player to be released after yesterdays trade

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Another important point ill make about RGIII - Harbs mentioned (and ozzie confirmed) that they get the impression that RGIII really wanted to come here and play - obviously there's multiple factors behind that statement: it's likely PR, RGIII may just be excited to be on any team etc. etc.

but it made me think and i realised that RGIII has never been in a well set up and supportive and well run organisation before - he's been at a redskins team that has imploded repeatedly as have the Browns
He was in large part responsible for the skins implosion.
Donald Trump thought that guy was a narcissist.

Simba

Staff Member
Interesting Ozzie basically just said he's expecting a certain player to be released after yesterdays trade

That sounded like a Tavon Austin reference if I'm actually taking what he said at face value. Cooks, Kupp, and Woods... are they really going to pay Austin to be the 4th WR after his horrible year last year?

I'm not saying I'm on board as I've been against Austin when it was first rumored, but it wouldn't shock me anymore with that comment.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
That sounded like a Tavon Austin reference if I'm actually taking what he said at face value. Cooks, Kupp, and Woods... are they really going to pay Austin to be the 4th WR after his horrible year last year?

I'm not saying I'm on board as I've been against Austin when it was first rumored, but it wouldn't shock me anymore with that comment.
The rams resigned Austin to a 5m guaranteed contract. They gain nothing from releasing him.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Lol what upside does rg3 have? Read option is dead. Even then he was only a faster brady quinn. Throws all dump offs
The read option has basically been replaced by RPOs, which is basically the read option with the third option being a pass. So hinging his future failures on the death of the read option considering that its first cousin is alive and well at the moment is somewhat strange. He was a pin-point deep passer in his rookie season, and to your point, he fell off drastically in that respect after the injury. But I don't think that we should look at him as a savior. This could be a forgotten blurb in due time. Does anyone remember the hoopla on the board about us signing Trent Richardson and being another sign of our FO ruining the roster? Nothing came of it and he essentially never resurfaced. You're able to bring in 90 players at this very moment. He'll either be released before making it to the final roster should he struggle with his play or his health, or he'll prove himself enough to earn a back up spot. Unless we signed him to a deal with guaranteed money, there's virtually no risk here.

Simba

Staff Member
The rams resigned Austin to a 5m guaranteed contract. They gain nothing from releasing him.

Good call. I hadn't realized there was a roster bonus in there. Regardless, he's still likely the 5th option (I forgot about Pharoh Cooper) there and they might just move on, regardless of money. If Ozzie was really alluding to a move directly related to the Cooks deal, no one else even makes sense there.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Good call. I hadn't realized there was a roster bonus in there. Regardless, he's still likely the 5th option (I forgot about Pharoh Cooper) there and they might just move on, regardless of money. If Ozzie was really alluding to a move directly related to the Cooks deal, no one else even makes sense there.

was about to say the same - they just re-signed austin to a fairly affordable deal

i completely missed the bit where ozzie mentioned anything like this at all though - does anyone have a clip/transcript/quote of what he said?

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
The read option has basically been replaced by RPOs, which is basically the read option with the third option being a pass. So hinging his future failures on the death of the read option considering that its first cousin is alive and well at the moment is somewhat strange. He was a pin-point deep passer in his rookie season, and to your point, he fell off drastically in that respect after the injury. But I don't think that we should look at him as a savior. This could be a forgotten blurb in due time. Does anyone remember the hoopla on the board about us signing Trent Richardson and being another sign of our FO ruining the roster? Nothing came of it and he essentially never resurfaced. You're able to bring in 90 players at this very moment. He'll either be released before making it to the final roster should he struggle with his play or his health, or he'll prove himself enough to earn a back up spot. Unless we signed him to a deal with guaranteed money, there's virtually no risk here.
dont get me wrong i agree with you, however there is a good chance that rg3 can beat out mallet who is also a very bad qb! rg3 nor mallet is a reliable back up is all im saying!

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Since there was so much talk about The Ravens possibly drafting a quarterback in the first round and how they were really serious about drafting a quarterback this year maybe signing RGIII mute those claims a little. This may even make teams like The Saints, Chargers, Patriots and etc a little more comfortable with calling The Ravens if one of the top quarterback fall to The Ravens in the first round (Josh Rosen or Lamar Jackson).

rossihunter2

Staff Member

there are many players with character concerns whose organisations dont implode around them and create infighting above them...

i never said he was a saint, just that he has never been in an organisation or structure that was in anyway functional or healthy which no doubt will have contributed to his poor play and inability to rehabilitate his image

jboy19

Pro Bowler
Since there was so much talk about The Ravens possibly drafting a quarterback in the first round and how they were really serious about drafting a quarterback this year maybe signing RGIII mute those claims a little. This may even make teams like The Saints, Chargers, Patriots and etc a little more comfortable with calling The Ravens if one of the top quarterback fall to The Ravens in the first round (Josh Rosen or Lamar Jackson).

Hortiz was speaking very highly of Lamar Jackson at the press conference today. Not sure if that was a smoke screen, but I wouldn't be surprised if they keep 3 QBs with one as a rookie.