• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2018 Free Agency

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
This years defense was way better than our 2012 team. Our OLine play towards the end of the year was turning it around kinda like our 2012 team did so the only area where the 2012 team was better was at the receiving positions. That is it. Do not oversell what the Ravens were in 2012. They were literally an average NFL defense and a slightly above average offense.
They were in fact an average defense however this years defense wouldve done much worse in those playoffs imo

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
They were in fact an average defense however this years defense wouldve done much worse in those playoffs imo
what a complete utter crock of shit. NE is the only game you can claim such a a thing and that's purely because ed reeds presence made brady poopoo in his uggs

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
If we do end up getting Snead, I'd be okay with passing on WR in the first round. James Hurst is the starting RT and Skura is the starting center. As of right now RT is far and away our biggest need. I can live with Lewis as a starter, even if he inspires no confidence since he was never that great to begin with(though in Roman's scheme he could be a quality LG). If Hurst comes out of the offseason as the starter at RT... We will have a top 10 pick. He gets dogwalked so consistently at RT whenever slated there, even in just a limited role that Flacco would likely get an injury very early in the season. WE NEED A NEW RT. Hurst starting in any capacity is fucking unacceptable and everyone knows it.

I'd honestly be okay at this point if we got Snead if we went, OL, OL, TE in the first three rounds. I know we need to find some more quality pass catching option, but Skura and Hurst starting = future injury for Joe. I have little to no doubts that we are going to address both in the draft at this point. I'd sign Snead. That's three reliable options at WR even if none of them are #1 options.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
If we do end up getting Snead, I'd be okay with passing on WR in the first round. James Hurst is the starting RT and Skura is the starting center. As of right now RT is far and away our biggest need. I can live with Lewis as a starter, even if he inspires no confidence since he was never that great to begin with(though in Roman's scheme he could be a quality LG). If Hurst comes out of the offseason as the starter at RT... We will have a top 10 pick. He gets dogwalked so consistently at RT whenever slated there, even in just a limited role that Flacco would likely get an injury very early in the season. WE NEED A NEW RT. Hurst starting in any capacity is fucking unacceptable and everyone knows it.

I'd honestly be okay at this point if we got Snead if we went, OL, OL, TE in the first three rounds. I know we need to find some more quality pass catching option, but Skura and Hurst starting = future injury for Joe. I have little to no doubts that we are going to address both in the draft at this point. I'd sign Snead. That's three reliable options at WR even if none of them are #1 options.
I do like the idea of Snead over Decker though. Snead has shown to be a lethal weapon 2 years ago and is only 25 years old and likely to soon be entering his prime while Decker is probably a couple years out from retiring. I really do hope one of the top 3 options at TE falls to our 2nd round pick and we are able to get McGlinchey or someone at 16. McGlinchey just looks like a Raven to me and would be perfect with his size and playstyle to play for Roman.

I still hesitate on saying we are okay at running back but it will be interesting to see how Collins comes out of the gate after his success last season. I still wouldn't be against signing another running back though.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I do like the idea of Snead over Decker though. Snead has shown to be a lethal weapon 2 years ago and is only 25 years old and likely to soon be entering his prime while Decker is probably a couple years out from retiring. I really do hope one of the top 3 options at TE falls to our 2nd round pick and we are able to get McGlinchey or someone at 16. McGlinchey just looks like a Raven to me and would be perfect with his size and playstyle to play for Roman.

I still hesitate on saying we are okay at running back but it will be interesting to see how Collins comes out of the gate after his success last season. I still wouldn't be against signing another running back though.

we have less than 5 days to make a decision on snead because we've got to sign him to an offer sheet and the saints need 5 days to make a decision and the deadline is april 20th so any contract offer has to be made by the end of sunday i think

Simba

Staff Member
we have less than 5 days to make a decision on snead because we've got to sign him to an offer sheet and the saints need 5 days to make a decision and the deadline is april 20th so any contract offer has to be made by the end of sunday i think

At this point, they're probably awaiting the Bears decision on Meredith. That, and we have to give an offer to Snead that he actually wants to take.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor

I see 0 reasons why we would sign a running back.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
At this point, they're probably awaiting the Bears decision on Meredith. That, and we have to give an offer to Snead that he actually wants to take.

i mean any offer we make is going to be more money than he already gets from the saints and we will only make an offer that we know he will sign otherwise the offer is essentially pointless... why wouldnt he want to come here? he'd see way more of the field and he'd make more money

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I see 0 reasons why we would sign a running back.
I wouldn't say 0 reasons. Collins is a one hit wonder and we have seen players like Forsett come in for a year and sparkle and then the magic is gone. Dixon I like his upside but he has to get on the field. Allen is solid in a number of ways but he doesn't have that 2nd speed or that next level. He will likely be a backup the rest of his career in my opinion.

Nobody thought this team would get a running back last year then we signed Collins and he worked his way up. Things happen but competition is good because each year is different.

This offense is almost 100% based off of potential which scares me because the talent on this offense could have us as a top 10 offense next season (which I don't think will happen as of now) but also can be just as terrible as last year. Tight end is a bigger need but I think if you get a veteran who is young enough and has consistent production that I could see them signing a guy or drafting a running back that falls in the 2nd.

Simba

Staff Member
i mean any offer we make is going to be more money than he already gets from the saints and we will only make an offer that we know he will sign otherwise the offer is essentially pointless... why wouldnt he want to come here? he'd see way more of the field and he'd make more money

Maybe he's content taking a 1 year deal and actually hitting the UFA market next year. Ravens might not have the cap flexibility to give him a 1 year offer.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wouldn't say 0 reasons. Collins is a one hit wonder and we have seen players like Forsett come in for a year and sparkle and then the magic is gone. Dixon I like his upside but he has to get on the field. Allen is solid in a number of ways but he doesn't have that 2nd speed or that next level. He will likely be a backup the rest of his career in my opinion.

Nobody thought this team would get a running back last year then we signed Collins and he worked his way up. Things happen but competition is good because each year is different.

This offense is almost 100% based off of potential which scares me because the talent on this offense could have us as a top 10 offense next season (which I don't think will happen as of now) but also can be just as terrible as last year. Tight end is a bigger need but I think if you get a veteran who is young enough and has consistent production that I could see them signing a guy or drafting a running back that falls in the 2nd.
You say Collins is a one year wonder but if you watch his college tape and the games from this past season you’ll understand why he’s here to stay as our starter.

He was a good back in college and he finally got a chance to show what he’s got this past year. There’s a reason scouts thought of him as a potential day 2 pick before dropping to the 5th (only because of fumbling problems)

Before his rookie year he wanted to bulk up so he gained 15~ pounds. He rarely saw the field and he had ball security issues so Seattle let him go.

Before last season he lost that weight and said he felt way more explosive again. Forsett is not comparable because he was a career backup and never had the quickness or explosiveness of Collins. Watch the tape and you’ll constantly see Collins create his own yards. Forsett was a product of Kubiak. Collins benefits from Romans scheme but our subpar run blocking last year led to Collins having to do it himself.

He’s the real deal.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
You say Collins is a one year wonder but if you watch his college tape and the games from this past season you’ll understand why he’s here to stay as our starter.

He was a good back in college and he finally got a chance to show what he’s got this past year. There’s a reason scouts thought of him as a potential day 2 pick before dropping to the 5th (only because of fumbling problems)

Before his rookie year he wanted to bulk up so he gained 15~ pounds. He rarely saw the field and he had ball security issues so Seattle let him go.

Before last season he lost that weight and said he felt way more explosive again. Forsett is not comparable because he was a career backup and never had the quickness or explosiveness of Collins. Watch the tape and you’ll constantly see Collins create his own yards. Forsett was a product of Kubiak. Collins benefits from Romans scheme but our subpar run blocking last year led to Collins having to do it himself.

He’s the real deal.
And I am not trying to hate on him all I am saying is we have banked on several guys in the past and they haven't worked out for various reasons. The fact is there is question marks with other people on the team. Allen is a free agent after this year I believe. Dixon has already been suspended a few times. I really hope Collins is the answer but there are still other question marks on the roster at the position. My point is the team needs to not rely on one guy. What if Collins were to go down, Dixon gets suspended yet again, where would the team be at the position?

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
And I am not trying to hate on him all I am saying is we have banked on several guys in the past and they haven't worked out for various reasons. The fact is there is question marks with other people on the team. Allen is a free agent after this year I believe. Dixon has already been suspended a few times. I really hope Collins is the answer but there are still other question marks on the roster at the position. My point is the team needs to not rely on one guy. What if Collins were to go down, Dixon gets suspended yet again, where would the team be at the position?
I’d rather draft a RB in the later rounds than sign one

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Wow. I didn’t think the Ravens had the balls to let go of Camp. I was starting to think he had some risky pictures of Harbaugh and the front office at a holiday party. Looks like he passed it down to James Hurst.