• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 OL Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just got to Stone Forsythe, OT, Florida

yet another guy i'd not seen touted anywhere and yet here comes another day 2 grade for an OL lol - genuinely think he's another day 2 tackle - he's probably a top 10 OT on my board lol - outta nowhere

there's so many super-tall, super-long prospects in this class... he's 6'9 315lbs but moves well despite being taller than the burj khalifa - not great in the running game at all but he's a good pass protector already

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Jalen Mayfield is could be our guy, His tape vs. Chase Young at 19 years is outstanding. Still very young, he could go earlier but definitely a name to watch. Played RT in college and would be a very suitable OBJ replacement. When he gets stronger in his early 20s he could be a very good right tackle.

Old Bay

Veteran
Three guys who I've seen creeping up the boards lately are Spencer Brown, Quinn Meinerz and Brady Christensen. I read somewhere the rumor is the Ravens, specifically, are high on Brown. The man is a giant.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Three guys who I've seen creeping up the boards lately are Spencer Brown, Quinn Meinerz and Brady Christensen. I read somewhere the rumor is the Ravens, specifically, are high on Brown. The man is a giant.

Brady Christensen and Quinn Meinerz rising up boards right now makes a ton of sense - meinerz has been building steam since he showed up out of nowhere at the senior bowl and crushed it as a division 3 nobody

christensen is probably getting a lot of media looks right now because he was LT for zach wilson and gave up maybe only 1 sack (or something like that) in 2020... but his athletic testing was great and has really nice length and explosion but might lack some core strength

spencer brown i can see being really highly rated by some teams - he looks like he needs to fill in his lower body which should help him to add some functional strength (where he seems to be lacking right now) - but he's got rare traits... he's 6'8 and has incredible length and nice feet - and unlike some longer, lankier guys he has an aggressive streak - so while there's clearly development, he has some amazing traits and has shown flashes on tape of most of the things that would need development - an nfl weight room is going to do him wonders

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
James Hudson OT from cinci, get him in an nfl weight room and you might find yourself a stud OT on day 2. Silky smooth hands and feet, well purposed with everything he does, quality timing of jabs, doesn’t over pursue or extend, mirrors well with his super agile basketball-esque feet, resets the feet well to anchor down, drops the hips and bends the knees frequently to win leverage and generate push, just a plus athlete in general and looks very well versed to come in and start right away, definitely a 2021 LG candidate that kicks out to RT in 2022, if that’s the route we had in mind. Just saw him for the first time and he absolutely shut down the left side of the Georgia front.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
James Hudson OT from cinci, get him in an nfl weight room and you might find yourself a stud OT on day 2. Silky smooth hands and feet, well purposed with everything he does, quality timing of jabs, doesn’t over pursue or extend, mirrors well with his super agile basketball-esque feet, resets the feet well to anchor down, drops the hips and bends the knees frequently to win leverage and generate push, just a plus athlete in general and looks very well versed to come in and start right away, definitely a 2021 LG candidate that kicks out to RT in 2022, if that’s the route we had in mind. Just saw him for the first time and he absolutely shut down the left side of the Georgia front.

he's someone i really like but with the full acknowledgement that he's going to have to completely reconstruct his technique in pass pro - often throwing 2 hands, gets caught leaning, loses balance, goes after defenders too much which gets him over-extending (just generally impatient), footwork is light but raw and leaves him open to inside counters

- but he's got tons of natural power (especially upper body), a really strong punch with strong hands and strong grip, violent nasty streak, uses his feet well to drive through contact in the running game
- and he's a super explosive athlete with great movement skills and light feet - never looks rushed when moving, really comfortable pulling, excellent in space and moving in L2, has the ability to make difficult reach blocks - i will say his pass sets looked more improved as the year went on and he has really nice knee bend (not a waist bender)

he's a guy i'd happily take somewhere on day 2 even if he's not ready right away - he's only started 11 games as a tackle - i back joe d to get someone like him ready in an offseason (especially if we have full OTAs etc) but if he's not ready for year 1 that's fine too - would still be fine taking him on day 2 - and as you say there's a possibility he could play LG this year

he's someone who i'm not sure how high he could possibly go but if his pass set was ready to go i'd be looking at him as a top 5 tackle and a 1st rounder in the class

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
he's someone i really like but with the full acknowledgement that he's going to have to completely reconstruct his technique in pass pro - often throwing 2 hands, gets caught leaning, loses balance, goes after defenders too much which gets him over-extending (just generally impatient), footwork is light but raw and leaves him open to inside counters

- but he's got tons of natural power (especially upper body), a really strong punch with strong hands and strong grip, violent nasty streak, uses his feet well to drive through contact in the running game
- and he's a super explosive athlete with great movement skills and light feet - never looks rushed when moving, really comfortable pulling, excellent in space and moving in L2, has the ability to make difficult reach blocks - i will say his pass sets looked more improved as the year went on and he has really nice knee bend (not a waist bender)

he's a guy i'd happily take somewhere on day 2 even if he's not ready right away - he's only started 11 games as a tackle - i back joe d to get someone like him ready in an offseason (especially if we have full OTAs etc) but if he's not ready for year 1 that's fine too - would still be fine taking him on day 2 - and as you say there's a possibility he could play LG this year

he's someone who i'm not sure how high he could possibly go but if his pass set was ready to go i'd be looking at him as a top 5 tackle and a 1st rounder in the class
I like him also, but I'd rather the Ravens go after someone they feel could get more playing time on day two. Now if he's available on day 3, then you absolutely need to take him, however a player that needs to completely change their technique is not someone I want to draft on day two.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I like him also, but I'd rather the Ravens go after someone they feel could get more playing time on day two. Now if he's available on day 3, then you absolutely need to take him, however a player that needs to completely change their technique is not someone I want to draft on day two.

i dont think they will - but if there was a guy we drafted on day 2 and sat - i'd have absolutely no issue with it being hudson...
i think it's a risk if you do take him that early but the upside is amazing and it's not a foregone conclusion that he won't be able to contribute in year 1 - if tyre phillips could convert to RG and start week 1 in a stilted offseason i'd back Joe D to get Hudson ready to go - but it would be a risk

a guy i like who's also potentially a bit of a risk would be spencer brown - basically you're backing yourself to add some muscle mass and fill out his body enough to help out his anchor and hope that that was the reason he was occasionally over-powered rather than an unfixable lack of functional strength - again a risk but he plays with viciousness

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I actually meant to post that he needs to learn to use hands independently, he times his jabs well but you don’t see him using his hands to fight the defenders hands, just really trying to extend and hold at bay. I didn’t see much over leaning and losing balance that I can recall

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
you watched the tape, the senior bowl stuff or both?
One game of tape, a reel of highlight worthy blocks, his senior bowl segments, honestly I don’t think there’s much more you can pick up from his film considering the competition, he is what he is, an absolute beast of a man who can make 300+ lb dudes look like children, and he moves quite easily, he’s a character and would fit right in with this locker room, work ethic through the roof, just really looks like a guy who would become a major part of the team and locker room

rossihunter2

Staff Member
One game of tape, a reel of highlight worthy blocks, his senior bowl segments, honestly I don’t think there’s much more you can pick up from his film considering the competition, he is what he is, an absolute beast of a man who can make 300+ lb dudes look like children, and he moves quite easily, he’s a character and would fit right in with this locker room, work ethic through the roof, just really looks like a guy who would become a major part of the team and locker room

that's why i was wondering - the tape is obviously dominant but there were things that technically were going wrong there - but the senior bowl was borderline an immaculate showing by him

but generally he's high effort, physical, nasty, moves well - fundamentally those are some nice traits to work with - and his technical improvements from his last tape in 2019 to the senior bowl is another great indicator that he's going to be able to make the necessary refinements to live up to his athletic potential

also just another example of how good a coach duke manyweather is

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Just a gut impression/reaction after watching Landon Dickerson for the first time and a bit of a comparison to Humphrey:

Dickerson is out of his stance and in the chest across from him very quickly and consistently...
His punches are feet stopping stabs and he is adept and reactive to stunts
He is massive and can generate movement in a phone booth

I don't like him in space. relies too much on his initial contact and strength and too often stops his feet. Lumbers a bit in space. Stops his feet during run game at times and gets ripped down and shed.

The injuries are massive to me. A surgery on each ankle and ACL surgery on each knee. I wouldn't touch him inside round two and I would not take him over Humphrey even with a clean bill.
Humphrey appears,(to me) a far better technician, an even headier player than Dickerson. He has better feet and is superior at the second level to him and to anyone I remember seeing. He doesn't just contact the backer/safety, he sticks and drives and he is a straight up warrior. I don't remember seeing anyone as natural in the run game. He has a coaches brain in real time.

Just my initial thoughts

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Just a gut impression/reaction after watching Landon Dickerson for the first time and a bit of a comparison to Humphrey:

Dickerson is out of his stance and in the chest across from him very quickly and consistently...
His punches are feet stopping stabs and he is adept and reactive to stunts
He is massive and can generate movement in a phone booth

I don't like him in space. relies too much on his initial contact and strength and too often stops his feet. Lumbers a bit in space. Stops his feet during run game at times and gets ripped down and shed.

The injuries are massive to me. A surgery on each ankle and ACL surgery on each knee. I wouldn't touch him inside round two and I would not take him over Humphrey even with a clean bill.
Humphrey appears,(to me) a far better technician, an even headier player than Dickerson. He has better feet and is superior at the second level to him and to anyone I remember seeing. He doesn't just contact the backer/safety, he sticks and drives and he is a straight up warrior. I don't remember seeing anyone as natural in the run game. He has a coaches brain in real time.

Just my initial thoughts
I’ve had the same exact impression on both players in relation to each other, that said, for me there is a massive tangible benefit to having that pissed off, violent and powerful SOB at as many spots on the OL as possible, which helps Dickerson a lot for me vs Humphrey.

But that’s why, for my money, Quinn meinerz in round 2 is a pick I could fall back on and be totally happy.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’ve had the same exact impression on both players in relation to each other, that said, for me there is a massive tangible benefit to having that pissed off, violent and powerful SOB at as many spots on the OL as possible, which helps Dickerson a lot for me vs Humphrey.

But that’s why, for my money, Quinn meinerz in round 2 is a pick I could fall back on and be totally happy.
I haven't been able to find tape on him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I haven't been able to find tape on him.
I haven’t seen much but enough to make me buy into the hype. Just a fun prospect, he dominated the senior bowl, tested and measured really well, and he moves well on tape, and yeah it’s small school but he’s tossing and shoving around 300 lb dudes like they’re teenagers.

just search him on YouTube, he’s got lots of highlight vids but there’s some film if you dig deep enough, senior bowl tape is impressive too