• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 OL Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Thibodeaux has been a freak since day 1 his freshman year.
Btt: I've watched a couple of cut ups and omg Vera-Tucker is exactly what we need. 2nd level combos and his quickness are a perfect match for what we run on offense.

at guard i literally don't see what the flaw in his game is as a prospect - awesome athlete, great awareness, powerful hands and uses them well, disciplined but effective in his pass sets, good footwork, has a great anchor to recover even if he initially loses, amazing in space - absolutely killer in level 2 (dude was sometimes blocking 3 guys in one play), powerful to move guys out of their gaps and finishes, has the lateral mobility to get on reach blocks, really natural and smooth puller, versatility to play tackle or guard (great tape at both spots)

only 2 negative notes on my report for him:
1) struggled on some reps against elite speed rushers (see Thibodeaux) which is understandable given his late switch to tackle, and the fact that he's probably playing guard for the Ravens (unless Orlando moves on)
2) occasional lapse in concentration/processing against blitzes but really is only occasional

I think as a tackle he's a 1st round pick, as a guard i think he's a top 10/top 15 player in this class

and unfortunately i think he'll be long gone by the time we pick because enough teams will evaluate him as a tackle

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
at guard i literally don't see what the flaw in his game is as a prospect - awesome athlete, great awareness, powerful hands and uses them well, disciplined but effective in his pass sets, good footwork, has a great anchor to recover even if he initially loses, amazing in space - absolutely killer in level 2 (dude was sometimes blocking 3 guys in one play), powerful to move guys out of their gaps and finishes, has the lateral mobility to get on reach blocks, really natural and smooth puller, versatility to play tackle or guard (great tape at both spots)

only 2 negative notes on my report for him:
1) struggled on some reps against elite speed rushers (see Thibodeaux) which is understandable given his late switch to tackle, and the fact that he's probably playing guard for the Ravens (unless Orlando moves on)
2) occasional lapse in concentration/processing against blitzes but really is only occasional

I think as a tackle he's a 1st round pick, as a guard i think he's a top 10/top 15 player in this class

and unfortunately i think he'll be long gone by the time we pick because enough teams will evaluate him as a tackle
Great summary. So how about we trade Brown and get vera-tucker? I'd have no regrets

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Great summary. So how about we trade Brown and get vera-tucker? I'd have no regrets

only problem there is it would have to be a top 15 pick i reckon to be able to get him lol (maybe we get lucky and teams bank on the upside of jalen mayfield or something... seen him go in the 1st in a ton of mocks recently) - so basically the chargers 13th pick or bust in this hypothetical scenario

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
For a potential center, there's Creed Humphrey. Not a top tier athlete, but has the experience, football IQ, and strength to be really effective in a scheme like the Ravens' run. Just a good all around player. Could be available in the second round.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
For a potential center, there's Creed Humphrey. Not a top tier athlete, but has the experience, football IQ, and strength to be really effective in a scheme like the Ravens' run. Just a good all around player. Could be available in the second round.

he's about as fundamentally sound as a C can be coming out of college - great anchor, really strong, moves people in the running game, doesn't get moved in the passing game, shows really good footwork, never seems rushed, great awareness (only a few reps where he was a touch late noticing twists/stunts but generally processed them well), really good finding blocks on the second level

about the only negatives you mentioned is that he's not a top tier athlete - and his arm length is just something to keep an eye on just because they measured fairly short at the senior bowl

but he's an elite pass protector with high level intelligence and post-snap processing and he frequently makes highlight worthy blocks (sometimes blocking 2 guys at once), and he was the anchor of that oklahoma running game

if he's available in round 2 then he's a no brainer - i think only the non-elite measurables stop him from being top 20 pick

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

teven jenkins is becoming one of my favorite prospects, maybe more than AVT. cant pick up on these subtleties with the shit uploads you find on youtube which seems to be getting slimmer by the day, this video helped really move him up for me. yanda/lewan vibes, nasty af, really high iq and aware and technically superb player.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

teven jenkins is becoming one of my favorite prospects, maybe more than AVT. cant pick up on these subtleties with the shit uploads you find on youtube which seems to be getting slimmer by the day, this video helped really move him up for me. yanda/lewan vibes, nasty af, really high iq and aware and technically superb player.

i think AVT's the cleaner prospect (and also im projecting AVT as an IOL and Jenkins as a T) - Jenkins is nasty though - sometimes i think he gets over-aggressive and leans a bit too much - i also wonder about his footwork in a proper kick step - the title of that vid gets it right - tons of quick-sets/horizontal sets in Jenkins's tape and not a ton of vertical-sets - obviously he backs himself to just win right now but he'll have to be able to get depth vs the speed rushers in the pros - that's the only thing really preventing me from putting a massive grade on Jenkins (who i still think is someone worthy of a top 15 grade)... he's clearly OT 4 for me right now and there's a chance he could end up OT 3 but unless there's someone i haven't watched who's awesome and ive never heard of them then he's unlikely to end up below OT 4 (tbf walker little came out of nowhere for me)

with AVT i have almost no questions - he's not as nasty as Jenkins (but then again i'm not sure there's anyone in the class as nasty as jenkins) - and i do have some doubts about how consistent he'd be if he played tackle but i'm not really thinking about him as a tackle as much as im thinking about him as an OL more generally because he's got tape at both T and G

AVT i have a sure-fire top 15 grade on which likely means he's gonna be a top 10 player on the board minimum (because i very much don't have 15 top 15 players this year lol)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i think AVT's the cleaner prospect (and also im projecting AVT as an IOL and Jenkins as a T) - Jenkins is nasty though - sometimes i think he gets over-aggressive and leans a bit too much - i also wonder about his footwork in a proper kick step - the title of that vid gets it right - tons of quick-sets/horizontal sets in Jenkins's tape and not a ton of vertical-sets - obviously he backs himself to just win right now but he'll have to be able to get depth vs the speed rushers in the pros - that's the only thing really preventing me from putting a massive grade on Jenkins (who i still think is probably in the top 15 players on the board when i end up stacking it)

with AVT i have almost no questions - he's not as nasty as Jenkins (but then again i'm not sure there's anyone in the class as nasty as jenkins) - and i do have some doubts about how consistent he'd be if he played tackle but i'm not really thinking about him as a tackle as much as im thinking about him as an OL more generally because he's got tape at both T and G

AVT i have a top 15 grade on which likely means he's gonna be a top 10 player on the board minimum (because i very much don't have 15 top 15 players this year lol)
i think jenkins ceiling as a guard is much higher than AVTs really just based on his power alone, hes gonna generate so much more movement in the run game. i do see the concerns with him at T but i think lamar and romans scheme has a way of naturally reducing the pressure from that reckless speed rush from the right side

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think dickerson's worthy of being in that Jenkins conversation too though - absolutely awesome on tape and nasty as hell
agreed, ive said for months that dickerson is being really underrated and forgotten in the OL discussion, that mf buries defenders, and best anchor in the class at iOL

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i think jenkins ceiling as a guard is much higher than AVTs really just based on his power alone, hes gonna generate so much more movement in the run game. i do see the concerns with him at T but i think lamar and romans scheme has a way of naturally reducing the pressure from that reckless speed rush from the right side

i mean it's hard to differentiate i really like both of them - and for what it's worth i'd rather keep jenkins at tackle... especially at RT - im not saying i have huge concerns necessarily with his movement skills - just that there's just not many examples on his tape of him taking those kinds of sets that would give him a better chance vs speedier rushers

i like AVT's mobility as a guard for the ravens a lot - and he has a super strong base

i think they're both really nice prospects and if either's there at 27 then they're a no-brainer

rossihunter2

Staff Member
agreed, ive said for months that dickerson is being really underrated and forgotten in the OL discussion, that mf buries defenders, and best anchor in the class at iOL

he's basically the perfect C prospect - somewhat like Jenkins he can occasionally get caught leaning but that's about the only negative on his tape

the issue with dickerson (and why he's not talked about at the top) is the injuries - he's only played 1 full-season

"He’s sustained a laundry list of injuries: torn right ACL (Nov. 2016), ankle surgery (Oct. 2017), ankle injury (2018), ligament damage to left knee (Dec. 2020)."

that's all it is - on tape he's easily a 1st round pick - but i doubt a team touches him in the 1st round because of those injuries

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
@JoeyFlex5 - i know we talked briefly about Aaron Banks in a different thread but did you ever get the chance to watch him vs Florida State?
i did not, but i did watch the clemson tape last night and i think i may have been wrong on my initial look lol, he looked much better than what i recalled before lol, im gonna have to take a deeper look.

also i did a refresher on trey hill this morning, yeah hes as dominant as i remembered, hes a bit lead footed but he is an absolute monster.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i did not, but i did watch the clemson tape last night and i think i may have been wrong on my initial look lol, he looked much better than what i recalled before lol, im gonna have to take a deeper look.

also i did a refresher on trey hill this morning, yeah hes as dominant as i remembered, hes a bit lead footed but he is an absolute monster.

i think there are times when he gets a bit heavy-footed and i think there are times when his technique is spotty
but to me he generally shows off a ton of power, toughness and some surprising foot quickness

my biggest worry is his lateral movement and whether that limits him in pass pro

but if i had to pick a bulky guy who no one was really talking about but who showed up on tape in a surprising way like michael onwenu, so far aaron banks is that guy for me

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i think there are times when he gets a bit heavy-footed and i think there are times when his technique is spotty
but to me he generally shows off a ton of power, toughness and some surprising foot quickness

my biggest worry is his lateral movement and whether that limits him in pass pro

but if i had to pick a bulky guy who no one was really talking about but who showed up on tape in a surprising way like michael onwenu, so far aaron banks is that guy for me
i could understand that, i dont like how hard he commits to his footing at times, like he really hunkers down with both feet and locks out the knees and just extends, looks like he tries to win snaps using nothing but his spine sometimes lmao, it looks really bad and reckless, its kind of a sporadic problem and its something that happens to all OL on occasion but it just jumps off the film with him. i had the same issue with frank ragnow, he would lose the foot drive and the knee bend often and just try to anchor down, which has its place in plenty of reps, but some players do it much more often and some are worse than others.

the power is there though, violent strong arms and hands and he moves a lot better than i originally thought.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i could understand that, i dont like how hard he commits to his footing at times, like he really hunkers down with both feet and locks out the knees and just extends, looks like he tries to win snaps using nothing but his spine sometimes lmao, it looks really bad and reckless, its kind of a sporadic problem and its something that happens to all OL on occasion but it just jumps off the film with him. i had the same issue with frank ragnow, he would lose the foot drive and the knee bend often and just try to anchor down, which has its place in plenty of reps, but some players do it much more often and some are worse than others.

the power is there though, violent strong arms and hands and he moves a lot better than i originally thought.

that's where coaching comes in for sure you'd hope - i definitely see him stopping his feet and leaving them behind his upper body a lot for sure

but that's technical stuff that i think really can be fixed - it's only really a serious worry for me if i see his head drop or if i cant see any flexibility in his lower body (i.e. he's doing that because he can only be a waist bender) - i dont think that's the case here but could be wrong

worth noting given the Ragnow comparison that he just went to the pro bowl

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
that's where coaching comes in for sure you'd hope - i definitely see him stopping his feet and leaving them behind his upper body a lot for sure

but that's technical stuff that i think really can be fixed - it's only really a serious worry for me if i see his head drop or if i cant see any flexibility in his lower body (i.e. he's doing that because he can only be a waist bender) - i dont think that's the case here but could be wrong

worth noting given the Ragnow comparison that he just went to the pro bowl
did he really? he must have taken a leap, i remember a lot of talk about ragnow looking like a bust early on lol, good for him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
the more i watch of Dickerson the more I feel like forgetting about those injury concerns - he is just about the perfect C prospect for our offence - if you built a C for this Ravens offence it would 100% be Landon Dickerson...

the injuries are the only reason we'd have a shot at him - the more i watch the more i feel like we should take that risk at 27... i think he's that good - he has all the makings of a perennial all-pro and that makes the injury risk worth it for me

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
the more i watch of Dickerson the more I feel like forgetting about those injury concerns - he is just about the perfect C prospect for our offence - if you built a C for this Ravens offence it would 100% be Landon Dickerson...

the injuries are the only reason we'd have a shot at him - the more i watch the more i feel like we should take that risk at 27... i think he's that good - he has all the makings of a perennial all-pro and that makes the injury risk worth it for me
Players with a clean Bill of health come in and spend 4 years on the trainers table and retire, players with 10 total games played in college due to injury come into the league and stay healthy as an ox.

I have stopped weighing injuries heavily for a while