• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

DB Thread

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Derwin James is who everyone wanted HHCD to be. He's quite potentially Charles Woodson in kam chancellors body(ya know, counting for inflation when he inevitably gains muscle mass over the years). I think he's gonna be special and we are gonna need 2 main things on defense in a few years: a playmaking safety, and an A-type personality to be the face of the defense, he covers both in spades
To me I don't care where this team drafts just because I know they may only be 1 playmaker from being a playoff team again but they will likely need 3 or 4 more studs to make another super bowl run. If Derwin James is our pick at 16 I think that would be a solid choice and if you put the best 11 players on the field I could see Jefferson playing more of that ILB/S role kind of like Bucannon has for the Cards. I doubt Derwin falls that far but if he does he brings that physicality that the team needs. Yes it would be neglecting the offense again but I do think that the offense was catching steam last year and if they can sign a free agent like Landry and get a tight end or a WR which has better value in this draft in the 2nd and 3rd rounds I think the team will be okay. Safety isn't the biggest need but I do think Derwin is one of the premier talents in this draft that can take his gameplay to pro bowl level and with Weddle getting up there in age and likely has 2 seasons or less left in his tank playing at the level he is, an insurance policy is always nice especially with how much stress is put on our safeties in this defense.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I don't necessarily love his tape but I read a guy from ndtscouting ay his tape showed a super smart and crafty CB and it shows in that interview.
I've admitted many times that I don't watch tape so I disqualify myself in that regard, but to me, you can't teach these intangibles. Seems like this guy is willing to play whatever side and whatever defense he's asked to do. If I may ask, what round(s) is(are) he projected to?

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I've admitted many times that I don't watch tape so I disqualify myself in that regard, but to me, you can't teach these intangibles. Seems like this guy is willing to play whatever side and whatever defense he's asked to do. If I may ask, what round(s) is(are) he projected to?
I mean, you can say that about Brandon Carr and he's def not a star. Meeks looks a tad slow. 3rd round looks like an ideal spot for him.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I mean, you can say that about Brandon Carr and he's def not a star. Meeks looks a tad slow. 3rd round looks like an ideal spot for him.
I remember Carr saying that he signed here because he respected the history and tradition of Ravens defense. As for Meeks, looks like I'll pay attention to his combine (not the be all end all, but still). If we have a 3rd round comp pick, I'd be down with selecting him.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I remember Carr saying that he signed here because he respected the history and tradition of Ravens defense. As for Meeks, looks like I'll pay attention to his combine (not the be all end all, but still). If we have a 3rd round comp pick, I'd be down with selecting him.
It's not a shame to look at combine numbers, as long as you take it with the good approach. And yeah 3rd round comp for Meeks sounds good.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Btw, I saw Joe Marino from NDT scouting compared Meeks to Jimmy, saying he wins in the same way (which I could agree with) and will surprise with his athleticism (which I didn't expect)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Btw, I saw Joe Marino from NDT scouting compared Meeks to Jimmy, saying he wins in the same way (which I could agree with) and will surprise with his athleticism (which I didn't expect)
I'm a big fan of Meeks. Love to get him in the 3rd if he is available.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I need to watch some fresh tape on him, but I've been a bit disappointed by his overall athleticism. Maybe watching him after Donte Jackson wasn't a good idea though. His IQ is completely insane for a CB.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

I take full responsibility for not us getting a 3rd round comp pick. My dumbass just HAD to jinx it. Fuck.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I take full responsibility for not us getting a 3rd round comp pick. My dumbass just HAD to jinx it. Fuck.
Hmmm, I knew we could blame it on someone. That being said, I did post the comp pick projections, so I should accept some of the responsibility. Damn

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Good thing is we've had as much success with our sixth round picks as our third round picks.

That’s depressingly true:

Chuck Clark, Maurice canady have both been more involved that their 3rd round class mates - the last 3rd round pick to be more involved than his 6th round counterpart was Carl Davis in 2015 (that 2015 draft is looking appalling more and more)

UKRaven

Practice Squad
Not that I value Chad Reuters opinion but he has just released his 2nd mock draft with us taking Orlando Brown.

Now I am all on board with Brown at pick 16, I even think when the night comes this will be the pick they make BUT in this mock he has Derwin James sliding to the Seahawks at 18.

In that scenario I am smashing the TV up!

Not to mention not taking a WR, TE or RB till round 4

Madness

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Not that I value Chad Reuters opinion but he has just released his 2nd mock draft with us taking Orlando Brown.

Now I am all on board with Brown at pick 16, I even think when the night comes this will be the pick they make BUT in this mock he has Derwin James sliding to the Seahawks at 18.

Madness
Link please

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Madness
I like Brown and all, but yeah, if James is available we have to draft him. He's a legit top five player in this draft. And he's a perfect fit for a more aggressive defense.